Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane completes Liverpool Move

• 28-07-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

BBC are reporting 20.3 million here

Still not sure about this move for either Keane or Liverpool but I guess time will tell. I think that Spurs have mistreated both Keane and Bent in the past so I'm not sure a lack of loyalty can be claimed.

I feel sorry for Spurs, they must have the most changing strikeforce in the EPL. They won't improve if they continue to lose their best players.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Welcome Robbie. This will be our year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Great signing for Liverpool. He and Torres will be some partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Oh.........

.....IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

andrewie wrote: »

Lets hope so,I am still not sure but only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Over priced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hopefully this will give him a big boost for the world cup campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Over priced?

IF Liverpool put in a sustained title challenge, and aren't resting players for the CL in February, then yeah, it'll be a decent bit of business.

Robbie Keane is at his peak, is a regular goalscorer in the PL, and has the experience to do it for a top 4 club.

If he breaks his leg in training tomorrow, well then, it won't have been good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

World cup?! Liverpool cant play in the world cup

International thread>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.that way

from Levy:
    "I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard, not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and he submitted a transfer request to this effect.

"I have already made my opinion clear on the nature of this transaction. I don't regard it as a transfer deal - that is something which happens between two clubs when they both agree to trade - this is very much an enforced sale, for which we have agreed a sum of £19m as compensation plus a potential further £1.3m in additional compensation."

Liverpool FC has also acknowledged that the way its website reported comments of its manager, which were widely covered by the media, was inappropriate and in light of that acknowledgement has apologised and agreed to make a donation to our Club's main charity, the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation. Tottenham Hotspur has therefore agreed not to pursue its official complaint to the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

rotation system will destroy him. he's a confidence player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

GuanYin wrote: »
    BBC are reporting 20.3 million here

Still not sure about this move for either Keane or Liverpool but I guess time will tell. I think that Spurs have mistreated both Keane and Bent in the past so I'm not sure a lack of loyalty can be claimed.

I feel sorry for Spurs, they must have the most changing strikeforce in the EPL. They won't improve if they continue to lose their best players.

What the fvck do you mean mistreated?

Sorry but thats boll0x! you mean because we did not give both an automatic place and tickle their balls with feathers?

Robbie (like Bent) had to work for his place....and work he did...until he was on that pitch every week. Quality player, one of my favs. He didnt handle this situation particularly admirably but Ill still have a lot of time for Robbie.To say he was ever mistreated at Spurs is just ridiculous though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

staker wrote: »

Yes, rotation has certainly destroyed the rest of Liverpool's top talent, like Torres, Gerrard, Carragher, Reina, Mascherano........

thank god he has moved to a club that wasnt anywhere near the top of the rotation table last season then and in actual fact only rotates positions that are up for grabs :rolleyes:

last year certain starters:carragher/hypia/arbeloa/mascherano/alonso/gerrard/torres/kuyt/reina

ill informed tripe tbh, turn off Sky NOW! :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I don't think this will be the case,he has been out of the Spurs team many times and fair play to the lad he always got his head down and got back into the first 11.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    World cup?! Liverpool cant play in the world cup

International thread>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.that way

from Levy:

Ha!

If they've reported Liverpool as they say, it's out of their hands.
    It's up to the FA.

If Liverpool were in the wrong, donating to a charity doesn't fix that and the should be punished.
    It's just we all know that Liverpool didn't tap up anyone, no matter what Levy wants to insinuate.

Get out or would you care to show us all about this rotation policy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    thank god he has moved to a club that wasnt anywhere near the top of the rotation table last season then and in actual fact only rotates positions that are up for grabs :rolleyes:

last year certain starters:carragher/hypia/arbeloa/mascherano/alonso/gerrard/torres/kuyt/reina

ill informed tripe tbh, turn off Sky NOW! :mad:

Yeah well..................zonal marking!!!!!!!!!!

(Just tought I'd get that out of the way!:P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

For Irelands sake lets hope Mr. Benitez doesn't try to turn him into a winger or give him prolonged spells on the bench.

Here we go. A load of rubbish that is not against the rules to post, but is wholly inaccurate and designed purely to get a rise out of Liverpool supporters on the day of their biggest signing of the summer. Bah to you all.

I notice a few old friends returning to the Liverpool thread today, just in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Request to Liverpool fans.

When your new darling has a shíte game for Ireland, and people point it out, don't take it as a slight on your club and get all hot headed about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's great having one of your countries best ever players at your club in his prime :)

I'd say he's delighted to get the chance to play for the team he's supported, I'd compare it to Robbie Fowler coming back and Hartley joining Celtic.

maybe so, i'm not too well up on his stats tbh but he was a far better player before last season.. i blame rafa's selections but hey, what do i know??
    i just think keane's gonna go the same way. best of luck to him, rake in the dosh.

You do remember Alonso breaking his foot at the start of last season right?

Or is it still "rotation" now when the players in hospital!!!

Boggles wrote: »
    For Irelands sake lets hope Mr. Benitez doesn't try to turn him into a winger or give him prolonged spells on the bench.

i actually hope to see something like
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres
    gerrard--alonso--mascherano--babel
    Torres
    Keane
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Torres
    Gerrard---Keane---Babel
    Torres
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Kuyt
    Torres

loads of possibilities no?:D

zAbbo wrote: »
    It's great having one of your countries best ever players at your club in his prime :)

I'd say he's delighted to get the chance to play for the team he's supported, I'd compare it to Robbie Fowler coming back and Hartley joining Celtic.

Hartley maybe, but I almost cried when the prodigal God came home!:D

Des wrote: »

When your new darling has a shíte game for Ireland, and people point it out, don't take it as a slight on your club and get all hot headed about it.

Sounds like a fair request.

Here's one for non Liverpool fans. Before Keane has even kicked a ball for Liverpool, can we not re-hash the same old Benitez/Rotation/OutOfPosition/OneBillionDollars debates? Especially if you're gonna post without checking the most basic of facts (Alonso/Rotation??).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The Alonso discussion is in a new thread. Let's keep it there.

Statement from Keane:
    'I would like to place on record my thanks to the board, players and fans of Tottenham for the past six years, which were the best and most enjoyable of my career to date.

'I will never forget them. I would specifically like to thank chairman Daniel Levy for understanding, that, as a fan, joining Liverpool is a lifelong dream of mine and one I couldn't let pass me by.

'I hope one day the Spurs fans, who have been brilliant to me, can understand this too.

'I have only good things to say about my time at Tottenham and expect them to go from strength to strength under Juande Ramos and Daniel Levy.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i'm not intentionally goading or anything but that is my opinion, i do think keane will disappoint. that's my 2cents

Des wrote: »

I'll still hate him for Ireland, dont worry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Might be a tad over priced alright but that seems to be the way the market is these days. I think he might struggle at first but I can see him getting goals eventually.

Damien Duff's old transfer record as the most expensive Irish player has been broken anyway. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

keane AND finnan now playing4 LFC . Hopefully this will pave the way for more.

Just wanted to add that while Spurs fans might face the prospect of both their strikers leaving for clubs above them, in Juande Ramos they have a master in rebuilding a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ha!

If they've reported Liverpool as they say, it's out of their hands.
    It's up to the FA.

If Liverpool were in the wrong, donating to a charity doesn't fix that and the should be punished.
    It's just we all know that Liverpool didn't tap up anyone, no matter what Levy wants to insinuate.

If they did nothing wrong why would they apologise and pay money to a Spurs charity?

And whose to say the FA dont feel this is a satisfactory settlement?

i'm not intentionally goading or anything but that is my opinion, i do think keane will disappoint. that's my 2cents

Unless you can provide us with anything substantial to back up your opinion, then yes, you are goading.

Given that Keane has been a top striker in the PL for the last 3 years, what do you offer us to suggest that he is going to disappoint when surrounded with even more talented service?

And now he has a bit of money to play around with. IMO this is a good deal for Spurs too. They need young talent to develop to higher levels if they want to ever challenge. 19 million on a 28 year old player no matter how good is good for that sort of club.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    Unless you can provide us with anything substantial to back up your opinion, then yes, you are goading.

Given that Keane has been a top striker in the PL for the last 3 years, what do you offer us to suggest that he is going to disappoint when surrounded with even more talented service?

No he's not. He's giving an opinion without anything to back it up. Unless you think this post

is goading, I suggest you just respond to the post instead of calling it something.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Its funny how spurs end up significantly strengthening a team that they realisticly aim to challenge for a top 4 spot but make such a big deal of avoiding selling berbatov to man utd....they hardly expect to challenge for the title do they?

Ah well...this is keanes defining move and will either make him or break him in terms of what hes thought of after he retires...one of irelands greatest ever or just very good..Il think he wont score as much as he did at spurs but still link up wit torres well..

Babybing wrote: »
    If they did nothing wrong why would they apologise and pay money to a Spurs charity?

And whose to say the FA dont feel this is a satisfactory settlement?

So I shoot you, your family think that a box of roses make up for it, so the Gardai don't arrest me?!
    No.
    If Tottenham reported Liverpool, then the FA have to look into it.
    Tapping up is something that they've spent the last two years tring to stop!

Liverpool admitted that Rafa could have been wrong for saying that he was interested in Keane (not against the rules).
    The made a donation to make up for that.
    Levy is implying still that Liverpool tapped Robbie up, which he can't back up, cause it didn't happen.

Liverpool broke no rules, Liverpool never appoligised for breaking rules because the didn't!
    But Levy is implying that Liverpool are admitting guilt.

I'll say one thing, he's great with the spin.
    he has all the Spurs fans believing the gospel according to Levy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wonder who Spurs will get to replace him. Is Pavlyuchenko still in Spurs' thoughts? I'd love to see the Pavster in the Premiership.

I wonder who Spurs will get to replace him. Is Pavlyuchenko still in Spurs' thoughts? I'd love to see the Pavster in the Premiership.

He'd do well.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    And now he has a bit of money to play around with. IMO this is a good deal for Spurs too. They need young talent to develop to higher levels if they want to ever challenge. 19 million on a 28 year old player no matter how good is good for that sort of club.

Yeah, but I think Ramos has always had a good mix of experience, I'd say he didn't bank on losing Keane this summer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Can't help but think this is a good deal for liverpool, despite the price. I'm sure he'll fit in well.

No he's not. He's giving an opinion without anything to back it up. Unless you think this post

is goading, I suggest you just respond to the post instead of calling it something.

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Great to see the deal is done & dusted. I'm really lookin' forward to seeing Robbie play in the red shirt.

I have one slight concern :eek: :pac:
    1. According to his page on Bebo.com Robbie loves listening to music and picks out Blink 182, Robbie Williams, Ronan Keating and Eminem as some of his favourite artists.

Source

You're comparing a post that could not possibly offend anybody at all (not even by a Liverpool supporter!), with the last in a line of posts from someone who came in blabbing with what has been shown and admitted to be absolute nonsense.

But yes, I think that even if someone has something positive to say, they should back it up. There has been plenty of things posted to suggest that Keane will be a good player for Liverpool.

I don't know if he will, I stated in another thread that we won't really know if he has been worth it until 2 years have passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Delighted keane has finally moved to Liverpool, cant wait to see him play next season (maybe even tomorrow!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

zAbbo wrote: »
    Just wanted to add that while Spurs fans might face the prospect of both their strikers leaving for clubs above them, in Juande Ramos they have a master in rebuilding a team.

Not necessarily true. Juande Ramos is a fantastic coach, and will always get the best out of players, he can quite easily make a star out of raw talent. There are two things in my mind that may cause him to be less effective at rebuilding a team in England, as opposed to when he was at Seville, where he replaced their best stars every year with people who were in most of cases even better.... (Please make sure you don't interpret this as me saying he WON'T rebuild the team, I'm just saying there are more obstacles for him to overcome now that he is managing in the EPL)

The first is, transfers are different in La Liga when compared to the EPL. Since you are all fans of the EPL, you probably think transfers are basically controlled by the manager at the club. However, the manager isn't the one who has the final say when a club is deciding who or who not to purchase in La Liga. Ultimately it's a combination of the President, and the Director of Football who control the transfers. Sure the manager consults, but it's kind of like, the manager gives a shortlist of 10 players to the President, and then the President will negotiate to sign 2/3 of the players in that list. Sometimes in cases it may mean that a player the president dislikes on the list may not even be contacted, despite the manager thinking he is a potential signing.

Ok, what has this got to do with Sevilla and Juande Ramos you say? Well, basically, you say that Ramos is a 'master at rebuilding teams'. I'd almost say it was more down to their president, Del Nido. He has signed so many good players for the club, and selling them for massive profits in all cases, including Dani Alves, Reyes(youth product I know), Adriano, Kanoute, Fabiano, Keita, Escude, Baptista, and Poulsen in the past couple of seasons. Just look at the Alves signing, he bought the boy for about €500,000, and has sold him for €35,000,000. He is probably the best president in the transfer department that I have been alive for, Arsene Wenger good. Never lets players go without making sh*t loads of money from it.

So yes, without Del Nido, I personally think Ramos will have a HARDER time rebuilding a squad. One things for sure though, he will always get the best out of his players, and if they make a couple of more shrewd signings, maybe he will rebuild the team as well has he did at Sevilla.

The second thing that would contribute to Ramos' successful rebuilding sagas at Sevilla was its youth system. Sevilla in the past couple of years have come out with some amazing youth players that have slotted in perfectly with the first team. Players including the likes of Reyes, Ramos, Navas and Capel... Will he get this injection of youth from Tottenhams academy? Only time will tell.

Anyway, this post was completely off topic, but I really like Juande Ramos, my favourite coach in the EPL. I really hope he succeeds in his time there and moves Spurs on to alot of future success. Maybe the points I have brought up will become completely irrelevant if he signs someone like David Villa, and harnesses the potential in players like Dos Santos.

Apologies for the off topic post. Best of luck to Robbie in his future endeavours with LFC... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Babybing wrote: »
    What the fvck do you mean mistreated?

Sorry but thats boll0x! you mean because we did not give both an automatic place and tickle their balls with feathers?

Robbie (like Bent) had to work for his place....and work he did...until he was on that pitch every week. Quality player, one of my favs. He didnt handle this situation particularly admirably but Ill still have a lot of time for Robbie.To say he was ever mistreated at Spurs is just ridiculous though.

Calm down.

Spurs handled Keane quite poorly 2-3 seasons ago. They disregarded his form and continued to alternate him with Defoe as Mido's partner to the point that they player is reported to have discussed leaving.

Then, as he formed a partnership with Berbatov, with Defoe already there, they then brought in a substandard striker (Bent) and claimed that Keane would need to fight to keep his place. Keane is a professional striker who had just finished an excellent season, I think it was embarassing to see a club say that to him.

If I were of Keane's standard and saw the club pull that move, I wouldn't be thinking about staying at the club.

Spurs have not had a consistant strikeforce in years, losing Mido, Defoe, now Keane and soon Berbatov. Look at the other clubs and see how they manage their strikers, do you think Torres as been told that he will have to fight to keep his place this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

But surely its a given Keane has/had to fight for his place?? I think all the competition for places improved his consistency in staying in top form...he would have known had he taken his foot off the gas spurs had other options..

its the same at liverpool ...keane will have to fight for his place...i dont think that counts as being mistreated...i do however agree that when keane was in form a few seasons back defoe was sometimes randomly choosen ahead for no apparent good reason but he obviously managed to keep his place in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

But surely its a given Keane has/had to fight for his place?? I think all the competition for places improved his consistency in staying in top form...he would have known had he taken his foot off the gas spurs had other options..

its the same at liverpool ...keane will have to fight for his place...i dont think that counts as being mistreated...i do however agree that when keane was in form a few seasons back defoe was sometimes randomly choosen ahead for no apparent good reason but he obviously managed to keep his place in the long run

Competition for places is important and sensible, it is a given. Publicly discussing Keane's position, when he is their most consistant forward in the squad is not sensible. This is what Spurs did with Mido and again with Bent.

Had Keane dropped form, I'd understand. He hadn't dropped form, he was scoring from the bench, where he should not have been to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still not a great fan of Keane, but I remember thinking Spurs were ludicrous with their PR in relation to Keane.

Can you see Ferguson saying to the media that Rooney or Tevez needs to prove themselves worthy of their places?

• Advertisement
Advertisement