Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane completes Liverpool Move

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

As a Villa fan, I think this is fantasic news...

Firstly, and rather obviously, it should lessen the chance of the Barry deal going through. But secondly, as an opposition fan, I can't think of a better player for Liverpool to spend that much money on...

... As Ireland fans, we're a bit more qualified to speak on Robbie Keane than fans of the Sky Sports News variety. We've seen the flip-side of his ability. A hugely frustrating player.

Jol and Ramos - the two managers Keane has thrived under of late - have very attacking styles of play, and a striker like Keane will always have a more favourable goals ratio playing in that kind of attacking set-up. But put him in a team like Ireland, where he has to feed-off fewer opportunites (against better teams than the San Marinos and Leichstensteins of this world) and one get's a truer reflection of his ability. Benitez has a far more cautious approach to the game compared to Jol and Ramos, and Keane might not get the same number of goalscoring opportunites this season...

But in terms of the fee, £20.3m is a LOT! of money. An extra £5m could have got a David Villa??? The same amount could have got Arshavin...? or even Berbatov!? And Ronaldinho has just moved to Milan for less...

I'm not trying to stir it up here (genuinely) I'm just giving an alterative opinion to the runaway enthusiasm this signing seems to be generating, and I've explained why.

For opposition fans, £20+m could have been spent on a far more dangerous and worrying player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I remember a lot of oppo fans saying very similar things about FT last season.

Time will tell. 50 - 60 goals between them this season would be a decent return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

50 - 60 goals between them this season would be a decent return.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

wynters wrote: »

But in terms of the fee, £20.3m is a LOT! of money. An extra £5m could have got a David Villa??? The same amount could have got Arshavin...? or even Berbatov!? And Ronaldinho has just moved to Milan for less...

It's been said alot here, Keane is a proven quality prem striker for the past number of years, that's the reason for the fee.

Villa & Arshavin, no doubting they are quality players, but there is more of a gamble bringing them into the prem, Torres was no doubt a similiar gamble last year, which paid off.

When Torres signed I expected him to take a bit longer to settle, but thank f*ck he slipped right into place.

If Liverpool were interested in Berbatov along with Man United, I think that would probably raise the fee closer to £30m.

On Ronaldinho, if he were to go to the prem, I'd say he wouldn't look at a club outside of London, wouldn't suit his lifestyle :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Good signing for Liverpool. I'm not so sure Keane and Torres will be a partnership as such, with the formation Benitez seemed to favour towards the end of last season. We all know how much Keane loves to drop deep, so he might just suit that formation perfectly. Something like:

Mascherano--Alonso

--Gerrard---Keane---Babel----

Torres

On the Spurs side of things, I wonder if Darren Bent will finally get a good run of games. Little could argue that they payed over the odds for him, but nonetheless he is a very good striker and a proven Premiership goal-scorer.

Also, will this have an effect on the possible Berbatov move? Losing Keane is a blow in itself, losing your top two strikers must be devestating for any team. Although the writing has seemingly been on the wall for both deals for some time, you have to think that Ramos has a couple of replacements in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Best of luck to Keane, time for him to push on now, its going to be tough to live up to such a big transfer fee although if he can link up with Torres like he did with Berba they could do very well although Torres is a different style player.

The transfer fee seems quite large based on reports I have read tonight that Keane put in a transfer request is that correct?

The same article also said that Spurs have withdrawn their complaint after Liverpool Apologised and made a donation to the charity Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, that doesn't read well for Pool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Firstly, and rather obviously, it should lessen the chance of the Barry deal going through. But secondly, as an opposition fan, I can't think of a better player for Liverpool to spend that much money on...

... As Ireland fans, we're a bit more qualified to speak on Robbie Keane than fans of the Sky Sports News variety. We've seen the flip-side of his ability. A hugely frustrating player.

Jol and Ramos - the two managers Keane has thrived under of late - have very attacking styles of play, and a striker like Keane will always have a more favourable goals ratio playing in that kind of attacking set-up. But put him in a team like Ireland, where he has to feed-off fewer opportunites (against better teams than the San Marinos and Leichstensteins of this world) and one get's a truer reflection of his ability. Benitez has a far more cautious approach to the game compared to Jol and Ramos, and Keane might not get the same number of goalscoring opportunites this season...

I'm not trying to stir it up here (genuinely) I'm just giving an alterative opinion to the runaway enthusiasm this signing seems to be generating, and I've explained why.

For opposition fans, £20+m could have been spent on a far more dangerous and worrying player.

Oh my god your right:eek:.........Where did i put Rafa's mobile number..quick quick call the deal off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Have to say im over the moon with this signing.I think Keane has been incredibley unlucky with the quality of clubs he has played for in his career and always thought the lad would prosper at a big club playing with players of a greater quality.He has now gotten that chance at Liverpool and i think he will have a great chance to actually win a major trophy or two before he retires.Yes robbie can be frustrating at times but he is no different than the Scholes,Gerrards,Torres,Drogba's of this world as they all play shi*e from time to time but i think it's fair to say overall he is a quality addition to the team.Anyways best of luck to him and welcome to the mighty reds Keano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Fair enough.
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion.
    Doesn't matter how wrong it is!:P

Seriously though, I do disagree with most of what you're saying.
    Firstly, LFC have made it clear on at least two occasions that the Keane transfer and the Barry transfer attempts were completely separate.
    In fact only yesterday, Tony Barret said again that buying Keane in no way lessened Rafa's want or intent to try and buy Barry.
    If I had to guess, Rafa is trying to decide see what's happening with Xabi before continuing with Barry.
    Not that he needs to sell to buy mind, but to see if he still needs Barry.

Secondly, being an Irish fan seems to disqualify a lot of people about Keane, rather than the opposite.
    You hear every excuse to slag him out under the sun.

He's crap for Ireland.

He's only 28, and our top scorer of all time, with 33 goals, and plenty of time to score a hell of a lot more.

He only scores against crap teams in non important matches.

What crap like Holland twice, the Czech republic twice, Sweden, Croatia, Russia, Yugoslavia, Iran (to get us into the World Cup), Spain (in the World Cup), and how about Germany, in the last minute of the game, after we were one nil down, in the World Cup, after Germany had won their previous game 8-0!!!

Yeah, all crap teams in nothing games!

His form has been terrible for two years.

What, you mean the two years that are widely thought of as the worst period in Ireland's recent football history?!
    The years under Steve "How Did I Get This Job" Staunton?!
    This was a period where our manager played a left back as right back, and a right back as left back!!!
    Every player we had played terribly.
    Not a single Irish player played well!
    Not Keanes fault.

Listen, all this is irrelevant.
    I know that football fans tend to have the memory of a goldfish.
    When Keane thrives under Trap, within two years, ye'll all forget how "terrible he was for Ireland".

Keane = the best striker this country has ever had.
    Can't be argued with.
    The closest to him has less than 2/3 the goals.
    Robbie is head and shoulders above anyone else we've ever had.

And I can see Robbie surpassing 50, and holding that record every bit as long as his soundalike Bobbie did across the sea.
    (I love the way England honour their greatest ever striker, while we deride ours.
    Classy.)

By the way, Robbie is the joint 46th highest international goal scorer of all time.
    Just to put that into perspective, only 13 of those ahead of him on the list are still playing internationally.
    Out of that 13, at least three (Raul/Henry/Koller) are retired but haven't officially announced it.
    And more importantly, Robbie is younger (by three years) than all but one of them!

But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion as I said.
    It just makes it sweeter when you get to shove them being wrong in their faces!:)
    But isn't that one of the many joys of football.:D

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Best of luck to Keane, time for him to push on now, its going to be tough to live up to such a big transfer fee although if he can link up with Torres like he did with Berba they could do very well although Torres is a different style player.

The transfer fee seems quite large based on reports I have read tonight that Keane put in a transfer request is that correct?

The same article also said that Spurs have withdrawn their complaint after Liverpool Apologised and made a donation to the charity Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, that doesn't read well for Pool!

Pure Levy spin.

Yes Keane did put in a request, but Liverpool never appoligised as Levy implied.
    Liverpool appoligised for offending Spurs by stating an interest publically.
    Which isn't illegal.
    Levy is implying that Liverpool appoligised to Spurs for tapping up Robbie in order to get them to drop the charges.
    Not true.
    Firstly, Spurs have already reported Liverpool, Spurs can't drop the charges now.
    It's in the FA's hands and not up to Tottenham.
    There is simply nothing in it.
    Liverpool never tapped up Keane.
    The FA would have responded to Spurs by now, so I'm guessing that this was the delay in the transfer itself.
    Liverpool probably "appoligised" to speed up the transfer, but as I said, never did or admitted to any wrong doing.

Does anyone know if its true that Spurs have withdrawn their complaint after Liverpool Apologised and made a donation to the charity Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, thats the nearest thing to admitting tapping?

Does anyone know if its true that Spurs have withdrawn their complaint after Liverpool Apologised and made a donation to the charity Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, thats the nearest thing to admitting tapping?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

;)

Sorry posted same time, so its not true they made a donation to the spurs charity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Danger Will Robinson......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Good move for Liverpool, not so sure whether it's a good move for the player but being a fan of Robbie's I'll stay optimistic and hope he does well. In spite of his Ireland displays which always divides opinion, he is a real talent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Benitez has a far more cautious approach to the game compared to Jol and Ramos, and Keane might not get the same number of goalscoring opportunites this season...

Please oh please can you back up this claim?

Torres under Benitez last year was joint top striker in the league with 24 goals.

Liverpool scored over 100 goals last season.

This 'caution' nonsense should be thrown on the pile with rotation, overspending, crap transfers, etc.

Can we add "Challenge for the title this year" spockety? :D

So will Kuyt be sidelined now or play out wide with Torres and Keane up top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Definitely overpriced. Anelka went for something along the lines of 14million and was probably a better player at the time of the transfer than keane is now. Also, I'm not sure because I don't pay too much attention to Liverpool's tactics but I always thought that ye played 4-5-1 in away games at least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mr Alan wrote: »
    World cup?! Liverpool cant play in the world cup

International thread>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.that way

In fairness every Ireland fan is interested in this, and most fans whatever their club are supporting the move primarily because

a- Another Irishman at a top 4 club.

b- We are hoping playing for his boyhood idols, as well as playing more of the best teams in Europe, half of the time abroad, will help his Ireland form.

While Im delighted he chose Liverpool I would be secretly pleased if he was with any top 4 club.

Even.....ugh....Manch......no, dont make me say it :)

I hope he is good for Liverpool, but obviously more importantly I hope it helps his green form.

What crap like Holland twice, the Czech republic twice, Sweden, Croatia, Russia, Yugoslavia, Iran (to get us into the World Cup), Spain (in the World Cup), and how about Germany, in the last minute of the game, after we were one nil down, in the World Cup, after Germany had won their previous game 8-0!!!

But that is the point. He has not scored away against a decent team since 2002! Compare that to England, over half his goals some seaons were away (maybe Rafa reckons this will make up for Torres not setting the world alight on his travels :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My only joy about this signing is that PP now owe me money!

Only joking! :pac:

Mike.

• Advertisement

shane86 wrote: »
    But that is the point. He has not scored away against a decent team since 2002! Compare that to England, over half his goals some seaons were away (maybe Rafa reckons this will make up for Torres not setting the world alight on his travels :) )

2004-03-31 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Czech Republic 2-1 Friendly match 1 (19)
    2004-06-05 Amsterdam ArenA, Amsterdam Netherlands 1-0 Friendly match 1 (20)
    2004-11-16 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Croatia 1-0 Friendly match 1 (24)
    2005-06-04 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Israel 2-2 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification 1 (25)
    2006-03-01 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Sweden 3-0 Friendly match 1 (26)

Hardly nobody teams.

The last goal was the first of Stans two years, during which Robbie scored twice.
    But the whole Ireland team was playing terribly for a manager none of them believed in.
    As soon as Stan left, Robbie's back scoring.

2007-11-17 Millennium Stadium,Cardiff Wales 2-2 UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying 1 (32)
    2008-05-29 Craven Cottage, London Colombia 1-0 Friendly match 1 (33)

Sorry man, but the facts don't back you up.
    Robbie under a good, or okay manager has always been lethal for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ha!

If they've reported Liverpool as they say, it's out of their hands.
    It's up to the FA.

First off it's the PL not the FA who hold jurisdiction, and secondly if both clubs come to an understanding as had happened then the PL will be more than happy to let it lie.

It's just we all know that Liverpool didn't tap up anyone, no matter what Levy wants to insinuate.

The rule Spurs made their complaint over:
    A manager shall not, either directly or indirectly (including by making any statement to the media) make an approach to a contract player with a view to the manager’s club negotiating a contract with such player.

Liverpool have acknowledged the comments were inappropriate, no?

3 Friendlies and and at home to Israel is hardly tough going, but I wouldn't be bothered with his International form he has been outstanding for Spurs creating for Berba as well as scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Well done Robbie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

His goalscoring form for us is good enough really. He doesn't have a striker that compliments him well, at least not since Quinn retired.

His record is like Torres at Int.level, Torres might have a slightly hire goal:game ratio.

Sorry posted same time, so its not true they made a donation to the spurs charity?

According to Levy.
    But as I said, I'd imagine that it was worked out between the two clubs as a peacekeeping deal.

Liverpool wouldn't go ahead with the joint defamation case touted with Man Utd, spurs wouldn't delay the transfer.

The most important aspect though, is that Liverpool weren't buying Spurs off.

tottenham never charged, or even officially alleged anything against Liverpool.
    they "reported" Liverpool to the FA for misconduct.
    Spurs can't revoke the report.
    The FA have looked into it, and found nothing wrong, or so it seems since the whole thing disapeared.Spurs may have a case with Utd and Berba, but the tacked the Robbie thing along as an escape plan with the fans.
    The only complaint ever made by Spurs was Rafa mentioning Robbie.
    Liverpool appoligised.
    Spurs never said that Liverpool taped keane up.
    Just Utd with Berba.
    Levy spun the Keane thin in, and obviously did a good job too.;)

The FA have looked into it, and found nothing wrong, or so it seems since the whole thing disapeared.

Or so it seems...:rolleyes:

Nice caveat.

And yet again, the FA have no jurisdiction, it is entirely a matter for the Premier League (since it was a breach of PL rule Q2 that Spurs reported Liverpool)

Seems Levy is not the only king of spin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

spockety wrote: »
    This 'caution' nonsense should be thrown on the pile with rotation, overspending, crap transfers, etc.

No, no it shouldn't. Keane does miss a good few chances as well as score them. I think this is a fair point.

He is way overpriced. Should of been at most 15mil.

First off it's the PL not the FA who hold jurisdiction, and secondly if both clubs come to an understanding as had happened then the PL will be more than happy to let it lie.

The rule Spurs made their complaint over:

Liverpool have acknowledged the comments were inappropriate, no?

TRO see my post on the next page.
    I'm not denying that Rafa shouldn't have spoken as he did.
    Villain asked if Liverpool were admitting tapping up.
    Neither of us are saying that they did.
    Simple.

If you want to be precise however, take a proper look at the rule you just mentioned.
    A manager shall not, either directly or indirectly (including by making any statement to the media) make an approach to a contract player with a view to the manager’s club negotiating a contract with such player.

Liverpool never made an approach to Robbie in the media, or otherwise, with a view to negotiating a contract.
    That is tapping up, and highly illegal.
    Rafa, when asked directly, said that Robbie is on a list of players that we were interested in, and that he was intelligent with qualities.
    If Rafa had said oh, and we wan to offer him £80,000 a week too, then they would have violated the article.
    They didn't.
    There is no ruling (FA or PL;)) that states managers can't name transfer targets.
    If Rafa had continuously talked about him, maybe.
    Not by mentioning him once, when directly questioned, after Liverpool had made I believe two official bids.

No rules were broken.
    Not very pally maybe.
    But not illegal.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.
    Neither of us are saying that Liverpool were tapping Robbie up I believe, and that is the answer to the original question.

The last goal was the first of Stans two years, during which Robbie scored twice.
    But the whole Ireland team was playing terribly for a manager none of them believed in.
    As soon as Stan left, Robbie's back scoring.

2007-11-17 Millennium Stadium,Cardiff Wales 2-2 UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying 1 (32)
    2008-05-29 Craven Cottage, London Colombia 1-0 Friendly match 1 (33)

Sorry man, but the facts don't back you up.
    Robbie under a good, or okay manager has always been lethal for us.

Sorry, didnt fully say what I wanted.

Keane has not scored in an away competitive match against a good team while we still had a chance of advancement since 2002.

And in fairness, under Stan from memory Keane scored three competitive goals against San Marino (Doyle scored in both Slovak legs IIRC, cant remember who scored the other). He scored another three in friendlies v Sweden and Holland.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    No, no it shouldn't. Keane does miss a good few chances as well as score them. I think this is a fair point.

I'm very happy with the price tag...:D

Or so it seems...:rolleyes:

Nice caveat.

And yet again, the FA have no jurisdiction, it is entirely a matter for the Premier League (since it was a breach of PL rule Q2 that Spurs reported Liverpool)

Seems Levy is not the only king of spin...

And is it "spin" to post an article reffering to tapping up, and implying that it is in regards speaking to the media?!

Maybe you misread the article, but to quote the great Iniego Montaya "I do not think it means, what you think it means!!!"

Look over it again, and come back to me.

I'm not looking for an argument here.
    But Liverpool didn't breach any laws.
    And definately didn't admit to doing so.

Sorry, didnt fully say what I wanted.

Keane has not scored in an away competitive match against a good team while we still had a chance of advancement since 2002.

And in fairness, under Stan from memory Keane scored three competitive goals against San Marino (Doyle scored in both Slovak legs IIRC, cant remember who scored the other). He scored another three in friendlies v Sweden and Holland.

I refuse to judge any player on what happened during those two years.:D
    And don't forget, since Stan left, Robbie has scored two away goals.
    in Cardiff and Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

SantryRed wrote: »

£20m ,crazy money for Keane,he isnt worth half that.
    Think of who you could buy with that money .
    What is it with Liverpool over the last few years ?
    Spending huge amounts of money on overpriced players with very limited footballing ability .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    My only joy about this signing is that PP now owe me money!

Mike.

You bastard :mad::mad: Only joking

I was going to stick €50 on at the eight to one price - but didn't manage to get it down in time :mad:

Apart from that I'm delighted with the signing of Keane for £18m.

I think it represents a great bargain in the current market.

I would rate him as a big step up from Crouch as our second striker for a net cost of at most £8m.

When you consider that we could potentially have ended up in a situation with Crouch leaving on a free next year, and needed replaced (presuambly along the lines of £15m min net cost) I think Rafa has done superbly in this transaction.

He's a vastly experienced proven goal-scorer in the PL, an intelligent player who I can imagine linking up well with Torres and Gerrard. Also the stat that something like 50% of his goals come away from WHL which will come in handy until Torres manages to improve that aspect of his game. People are going on about his age - he has only just turned 28 - in general these years would generally be seen as the prime ones in a striker's career.

Also in any transfer there is the potential that a player won't work out - he won't work out in terms of settling into the league (fairly unlikely), won't get on with the team (mates with Carra and Stevie G- masively unlikely), he won't settle in the area (really doubt it), he won't fit into the system the teams employs (doubt it to be honest). In general it looks like a transfer with very low on the downside risk.

Pretty much everywhere has reported a fee of £18m potentially rising to a maximun of £20.3m if the CL or PL is won. I don't think it's right to have people saying for £5m more you could have got Villa. Given the fact this transfer takes the net spend at Liverpool so far this summer looks to be around the £8m mark, getting an extra £5m for one player would seem to be questionable. As it is Keane is the second most expensive player in the club's history with only Torres costing more. I seriously doubt Villa will be sold for £23m. Also in everything I've seen he has seemed to indicate he would prefer to stay in Spain. Berbatov - the lowest price quoted for him seems to be £25m, which is £7m more than Keane. I'd be surprised if Spurs sold him for this - might well go for £28m-£30m maybe some depending on add ons, but that could well be £10m more than Keane's price. On Arshavin - saw a rumour a while back that when Liverpool bought Skrtl, Liverpool offered £10m for Arshavin but that Zenit wanted £12m [only an internet rumour but it strikes me as plausible - this was in January 2008 before the Euros and before the UEFA cup run ] Can't really see them offering double what they offered six months ago. Ronaldinho is an interesting one alright. I'm not going to go into the whole price wages things as we don't know, but I think that he was basically a gamble Rafa wasn't willing to take. While there is the possibility that the new club might revitalise Ronaldinho, there is also therisk that bored uniterested Ronaldinho might reappear after a season or so. Given Rafa's rocky relationship with the owners I can see it making sense for him to go for Keane over Ronaldinho - there is a lot more potential for Ronaldinho to end up in the flop category than Keane. At the very least you know that with Keane you will get a honest effort which is a minimum with a 'Rafa' type player - don't think you can say that about Ronaldinho. Overall in terms of the restrictions that Rafa seems to be working under I think this is a magnificent piece of business.

Compared with the other strikers who have moved on this summer - I don't think anyone can say £18m for Keane is over-priced.

I refuse to judge any player on what happened during those two years.:D
    And don't forget, since Stan left, Robbie has scored two away goals.
    in Cardiff and Fulham.

:)

btw that should have read "scored two away against Sweden and DENMARK". Id have edited but you went and quoted the cnutin yoke :pac:

Dont know what is wrong with me tonight......

And is it "spin" to post an article reffering to tapping up, and implying that it is in regards speaking to the media?!

Maybe you misread the article, but to quote the great Iniego Montaya "I do not think it means, what you think it means!!!"

Look over it again, and come back to me.

I'm not looking for an argument here.
    But Liverpool didn't breach any laws.
    And definately didn't admit to doing so.

I'm not aware of what article you refer to, I was replying to a point you made (which I quoted)

You implied that Liverpool have been found to have done nothing wrong by the PL, when there is absolutely nothing to suggest that is the case. Spurs made complaints to the PL in relation to both United and Liverpool, the PL invited comments from all three clubs,

I've yet to see a statement from the PL saying that they have concluded an investigation into the matter and find no case against Liverpool for breach of regulations (or words to that effect)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

25million would not buy David Villa.

Silva, possibly, not Villa though. AT LEAST 30 million I'd imagine.

:)

btw that should have read "scored two away against Sweden and DENMARK". Id have edited but you went and quoted the cnutin yoke :pac:

Dont know what is wrong with me tonight......

I'd volenteer to edit the quote, but things would just start getting messy.:D

To be honest though, I think that Keane is massively underated in Ireland.
    For him to be one of the 50 most succesfull strikers, of all countries, of all time, is bloody amazing.
    And he's got a good 4 years of scoring left.
    Only time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement

Spending huge amounts of money on overpriced players with very limited footballing ability .

Just :rolleyes:

I don't care if I'm banned you are an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

estie, remember that PM i sent you :D

LOL yeah...I didn't actually think the transfer would happen then.

Anyway, yeah I agree I think Liverpool should have signed Freddy Adu. He has -10 potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Who bloody cares where and win he scored, and with what foot.

It's a little sad when people try to discredit a players goals (doesn't score away from home/against big clubs etc.)

Rafa has proven that the work he put in with Torres has led to him being much more prolific player than he ever was. I'm paraphrasing but Torres has said a few times about the detailed instructions Rafa gives him, such as standing at certain positions inside the box. These have been cited by Torres as key reasons why his goal haul was so good last year and how much of an improvement he has made.

Only time will tell if Keane is worth the money, similar to Carrick and Hargreaves (it's hard to say they weren't worth it with 2 PL's and a CL behind them...)

Some of the begrudging comments here are hilarious, more please :)

Just :rolleyes:

I don't care if I'm banned you are an idiot.

Mod:Please don't ban Esteban.

I'm not aware of what article you refer to, I was replying to a point you made (which I quoted)

You implied that Liverpool have been found to have done nothing wrong by the PL, when there is absolutely nothing to suggest that is the case. Spurs made complaints to the PL in relation to both United and Liverpool, the PL invited comments from all three clubs,

I've yet to see a statement from the PL saying that they have concluded an investigation into the matter and find no case against Liverpool for breach of regulations (or words to that effect)

You're article, that you posted.

As I have stated previously, in great detail that i find hard to imagine as being miss-able, this article of premiership law has absolutely nothing to do with discussing possible player signings in the media.
    It is in regards tapping a player up, as the parlance goes.

"with a view to the manager’s club negotiating a contract with such player"

this is the part you seemed to miss/miss interpret/ignore.
    (I'm ot sure)

in layman's terms, the ruling states that no manager directly or through a third party which includes the media, make contact with a player under contract with another club, in regards to signing a contract with their own club.

In other words, Liverpool couldn't have contacted Keane and said we're willing to offer you £80,000 in a 4 year deal.

Rafa simply stated, when asked directly, after two official bids had been made to Spurs, that he he had inquired about Keane, and that he was one of a number of players Liverpool were looking at.
    No direct message or note to Keane.
    No mentioning a contract.
    No breaking the rules.

I assume that you misread the article, but allow me to assure you, you picked it up wrong.
    Sorry.

I'll just state again.
    Liverpool broke no laws.
    Liverpool didn't admit to breaking any laws.

• Advertisement

I don't mean anything bad to MisterAnarchy, but to call a player like Keane a limited footballer is just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I don't mean anything bad to MisterAnarchy, but to call a player like Keane a limited footballer is just wrong.
    Apologise ....:pac:
    For £20m I'd expect one of the top ten strikers in the world.
    Keane doesnt belong in that category ,he simply isnt clinical enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Invincible

zAbbo wrote: »
    Who bloody cares where and win he scored, and with what foot.

It's a little sad when people try to discredit a players goals (doesn't score away from home/against big clubs etc.)

Rafa has proven that the work he put in with Torres has led to him being much more prolific player than he ever was. I'm paraphrasing but Torres has said a few times about the detailed instructions Rafa gives him, such as standing at certain positions inside the box. These have been cited by Torres as key reasons why his goal haul was so good last year and how much of an improvement he has made.

Only time will tell if Keane is worth the money, similar to Carrick and Hargreaves (it's hard to say they weren't worth it with 2 PL's and a CL behind them...)

Some of the begrudging comments here are hilarious, more please :)

Torres was a prolific scorer before he came to liverpool,so I think Benitiz is'nt deserving all the credit.

I'd volenteer to edit the quote, but things would just start getting messy.:D

I even fcuked up my correction, the goal vs Sweden was at home :eek:

Right, Im going to bed before I start talking about the time David O`Learys header helped beat the English 5-2 in Stuttgart and won us the 1994 Mexico world cup.

To be honest though, I think that Keane is massively underated in Ireland.
    For him to be one of the 50 most succesfull strikers, of all countries, of all time, is bloody amazing.
    And he's got a good 4 years of scoring left.
    Only time will tell I suppose.

Hopefully.

It isnt a nice thing to think but tbh myself and a mate reckon he has had a serious drop in Ireland form since his dad died around 2004 or thereabouts.

Still, if we can make it he could even play a bit part in the 2014 qualifiers, who knows. Only 33 when they end after all, though whether he would be fit for a final tournament remains to be seen.

Still, lets hope this is a renaissance for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Just to get it straight, he's worth less than 10m? and feel free to list the strikers we could get with proven PL experience for 20m

To say Keane is a player with very limited footballing ability is a huge insult, and frankly an embarrasing statement to make, fair enough if you're just here to get your jollies by winding up some Pool fans, but I've a feeling you probably do believe the tripe you've just posted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement