Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane completes Liverpool Move

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If twenty million is what it takes to get Keane, then it's twenty million well spent. The majority of big signings made by the top four over the last few years have been overpriced (bar Arsenal i suppose) as to achieve what they want to achieve, this is what needs to be paid!
    As for people saying we could have got this foreigner or that foreigner for a few million more?? Well, we got a proven premiership player in the peak of his career right now for a few million less! I don't give a sh!te about Milito etc.
    Jesus, people have a go at Rafa for concentrating on the Champions league, then opts for players already in the league and from these Isles that can help mount a title challenge and he's getting bloody foreign players names thrown at him at a higher price
    Keane is a brilliant signing, the price needed to be paid to get him and i firmly believe will end up being a bargain and as has been said before, everyone's a winner. Liverpool, Ireland and Spurs!!
    Roll on the season!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

rosboy wrote: »
    Don't forget Agger......another waste of money probably:rolleyes:

People should really think before they hit that "Post Reply" button. In the past Liverpool have had limited funds and Rafa has had to take a gamle on certain players at time. When given money to spend (the past eighteen months) look at the players he's brought in (gixerfixers post above).

Take off your red rose tinted glasses.
    Benitez has spent a fortune on players throughout his spell at Liverpool and alot of the players he has bought have been failures especially the attacking players.
    How many of his strikers have been reduced to nervous wrecks in front of goal ?
    As of Jan 07 he had spent over £80m in 3 years with a net outlay of £43m.
    Lets compare figures
    Net Spend 04/05 to 07/08 Season
    Benitez : In £149.1m, Out £65.4m ,Net £83.67
    Ferguson:In £144.2m, Out £65m Net £79.2m
    Wenger :In £76.7m , Out £68.6 Net £8.1m

It is a myth to believe Benitez has had limited funds,he hasnt.
    He has spent an awful lot of money in his time at Liverpool .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Benitez has spent a fortune on players throughout his spell at Liverpool and alot of the players he has bought have been failures especially the attacking players.
    Lets compare figures

i suggest you revisit the old Liverpool thread where you can read over the argument you are starting again and again. this is not the place for it.

start a thread about Rafas spending if you want. but this is about Keane moving to Liverpool. If you have nothing to add on the matter then keep stum.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i suggest you revisit the old Liverpool thread where you can read over the argument you are starting again and again. this is not the place for it.

start a thread about Rafas spending if you want. but this is about Keane moving to Liverpool. If you have nothing to add on the matter then keep stum.

well said. sick of having that stat thrown at me.

anyways, for what its worth, the keane transfer represents a very tidy bit of business for lfc. consider what we've purchased, a proven premiership goal scorer/creator, a striker entering the prime of his career, and a genuine lfc fan. i for one think that this is a great combination, and wish keano all the best in the red 7 of lfc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So who has come through the system in that way since Gerrard?

Hi Xavi, just to answer this point;

Craig Lindfield, Jay Spearing, Ryan Flynn, Stephen Darby and Robbie Threlfall all signed new deals at the start of this season, and since then Adam Hamill and Paul Anderson have both just signed new long term deals till 2011, which, given that they're both over 20 suggests Rafa see's a future for them. Hobbs also has already been given first team football, and is being loaned out along with the previous 2 mentioned to get some first team experience.

So thats 8 english youth players (along with plenty of imports that were 15 and 16 when they came) who are still progressing in the system and signing new deals, and thats a hell of a lot better then what was going on before Rafa came.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Lets compare figures

Wenger has won bugger all since Rafa's arrival, and Ferguson had an impressive squad to begin with. Besides, this has all been done to death, throw it on the pile over there. *points*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

As a Man United fan, I genuinely wish Keane all the best with Liverpool, and hope he is successful. He's one of my favourite premiership players, and always gives 100% and occassionally conjures up something majical. I'm sure he'll do the same at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I think robbie plays at his best with a big man up front i.e Quinn, Berbatov but with the way Torres plays with Villa, i think they will be a good partnership.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    As a Man United fan, I genuinely wish Keane all the best with Liverpool, and hope he is successful. He's one of my favourite premiership players, and always gives 100% and occassionally conjures up something majical. I'm sure he'll do the same at Anfield.

fair play to you. takes a bit of [EMAIL="b@lls"]b@lls[/EMAIL] to come to a lfc thread and say that. well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lowest form of wit...

I wasn't actually being sarcastic, I just couldn't belive that to be true. Surely if somebody makes a bid you have to at least tell the player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

mru wrote: »
    fair play to you. takes a bit of b@lls to come to a lfc thread and say that. well done.

I genuinely like the guy as a player, and respect him. He's not full of himself like so many other pro's. All the best to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think Keane and Torres are going to be a great strike force. May take a few games to get Keane settled in, but once he does they'll be knocking them in left right and center. might place a bet on Torres to hit the 25 league goals mark and Keane to hit 20.
    That said I'm worried for Arsenal's grip on 3rd place. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I dont care if he's overpriced because for the last number of seasons liverpool have been buying cut priced players who we off load the next season.

At least now we are able to buy some of the "overpriced" players (admittedly by selling).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i see SSN just said robbie was the most expensive (combined fees) "British" player ever :rolleyes:

taidghbaby wrote: »
    i see SSN just said robbie was the most expensive (combined fees) "British" player ever :rolleyes:

always the same when an someone Irish does well, they're referred to as British. similar comment on ssn last weekend about the 4 british rugby nations...wtf? Which 4? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

taidghbaby wrote: »

IIRC, some of the British media called Stephen Roche British when he won the Tour de France.

:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

PHB wrote: »
    I wasn't actually being sarcastic, I just couldn't belive that to be true. Surely if somebody makes a bid you have to at least tell the player.

As I pointed out, you do.
    By law, have to tell a player contracted to you if you have had any kind of discussion with another club, even if that discussion is a point blank no.
    According to both Robbie and Spurs Robbie asked to be allowed to leave straight away.
    In fact the term "transfer request" was used.
    And Rafa had made two bids by the time he first mentioned Robbies name in the media, meaning that if Robbie and Spurs are to be believed, Robbie had already submitted a transfer request.

But TRO doesn't like letting facts get in the way of his misguided beliefs.

Don't worry though, I'm sure Rafa kicked a dog, or sacrificed a baby to Satan this morning or something, so TRO can hate him for that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

As I pointed out, you do.
    By law, have to tell a player contracted to you if you have had any kind of discussion with another club, even if that discussion is a point blank no.
    According to both Robbie and Spurs Robbie asked to be allowed to leave straight away.
    In fact the term "transfer request" was used.
    And Rafa had made two bids by the time he first mentioned Robbies name in the media, meaning that if Robbie and Spurs are to be believed, Robbie had already submitted a transfer request.

But TRO doesn't like letting facts get in the way of his misguided beliefs.

Don't worry though, I'm sure Rafa kicked a dog, or sacrificed a baby to Satan this morning or something, so TRO can hate him for that instead.

Hang on, so what if Robbie knew of the interest? It still doesn't make a difference to the rule which says you can't say your interested through the media.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Hang on, so what if Robbie knew of the interest? It still doesn't make a difference to the rule which says you can't say your interested through the media.

Does anyone care about this issue, really?

I mean, as fans, we spend the whole fukin summer checking skysports.com etc for a sniff of information, anything, and then people bitch and moan when something concrete is finally stated.

Do you really think it makes any difference whatsoever that he says something in public after the player is already aware of interest? Its not like he serenaded him live on the 6.01 news or something, he just stated that keane is a good player and an option. I think if anyone is getting upset about something like this, they could do with another hobby.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »

This is so painfull, as it's my fourth time having to say this!

THERE IS NO RULE SAYING THAT YOU CAN'T DECLARE INTEREST THROUGH THE MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rule quoted by TRO clearly states that you can't contact a player either directly, or through a third party - including the media - to discuss a possible contract with that player, if he is contracted to another club.

It is saying that you can't discuss terms with the player, not interest!
    Will somebody please at least read the posts before commenting!

A manager shall not, either directly or indirectly (including by making any statement to the media) make an approach to a contract player with a view to the manager’s club negotiating a contract with such player.

See now?

This is the article which refers to tapping up players.
    TRO saw the term media and jumped on it.
    The problem is you have to finish a sentance before you can understand it!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

gixerfixer wrote: »
    19 million aint cheap alright but if it brings us the league next season (which i think it wont) then it's value for money.With the exception of Wenger all the big clubs overpay for players...Carrick,SWP,Bent,Hargreaves the list goes on.Sad as i talked to some Man U and arsenal fans yesterday and to a man they all think it's a bad signing and every Liverpool fan thinks it's a good signing.

Really? Most Ive spoken to think it is good for his Ireland form so good luck to him.
    Some even went as far as to say they wouldnt be cheering for him when he's playing for Ireland.Pathetic really.

Jesus christ.

Really. Unbelieveable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Strange to see him in a red jersey.

00019f5810dr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Strange to see him in a red jersey.

00019f5810dr.jpg
    Yeah it really is. I think its an excellant signing for Liverpool and should hopefully benefit Ireland aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah it really is. I think its an excellant signing for Liverpool and should hopefully benefit Ireland aswell.

Yeah I think so too.

On a related note I found it amusing how the Daily Star reported the news:
    SIR ALEX FERGUSON once said he wasn’t worth £500,000 – but Robbie Keane became the most expensive British or Irish player ever when he signed for Liverpool last night

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/45545/Kop-get-their-58m-striker/

British or Irish? Why couldn't they just say Irish? Reminds me of when Stephen Roche won the Tour de France and the ITV commentator remarked:

"Stephen Roche, the only British or Irish cyclist to win the Tour De France."

(sigh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Yeah I think so too.

British or Irish? Why couldn't they just say Irish? Reminds me of when Stephen Roche won the Tour de France and the ITV commentator remarked:

(sigh)

Because he is the most expensive British or Irish player with combined fees,

they didn't say European because he is not, if they had have said just Irish,which would be no mean feat, would people still know he surpassed all British players too?

but i know what you were meaning, best example was Eddie Irvine, he was British when he won, and Irish when he was on the lash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yeah I think so too.

British or Irish? Why couldn't they just say Irish?
    Probably because Irish players in Britain aren't treated as foreigners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cause I'm fed up of helping you make a fool of yourself!

Edit: And for the last time (hopefully)
    Q2 is in regards to making offers to the player himself before agreeing terms with the club!
    It has nothing to do with this.
    Take that article and throw it away.
    It won't help you!!!

I've had a bad couple of weeks and a particularly bad day in work today, so to hell with it...

Spurs reported Liverpool for breach of rule Q2. How can it not then be relevant?

I was going to throw a load of abuse your way, but I can't be arsed. Suffice to say I'll simply add you to my ignore list and sleep a little sounder. Good day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

(sigh)

In all fairness, that could be looked at as making his achievement look better. It just says that not only is he the only irishman, but also the only person from the British isles.

The worst one I've seen in my life is Rusedski. When he reaches a US open final he is British, when he shouts fuck in the middle of Wimbledon he's Canadian born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote: »

Apologies, maybe the other chap can enlighten you as to the "law" that states a club must inform their players when an offer has been received.

Theres a difference between saying;
    "most expensive ever from the british isles"
    and
    "most expensive british or irish player".

The first is accurate, the second is not. He's not british, therefore cant be the most expensive british player in combined fee's.

The only way they can say it is "the irishman has combined transfer fee higher then any british player"

Sure otherwise he could also be called "most expensive american or irish player", exactly as untruthful as saying british.

The correct term is Atlantic Isles or even just the Isles as has been used in recent books.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Great bit of business by spurs, can't believe they got £20 million.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Well back on topic,great bit of business by spurs, cant believe they got £20 million.

I agree. It is great business by Spurs. They have more than doubled their purchase of Keane and they got six great seasons from him as well. I think Levy's quotes are just to fend off any anger from Spurs fans and put the blame on Keane and Liverpool, but secretly i'd say he's delighted.
    But i also think it's great business by Liverpool. I know some people think he's over priced, but i genuinely believe he'll turn out to be a bargain.
    When Liverpool bought Dalglish, it was a British transfer record of something like £740,000. But you look back with hindsight and he was worth every penny. Now we have another number seven and i'm not gonna compare him to Dalglish or anything, but the point i'm making is i really believe in the grand scheme of things that Keane will prove to be worth every penny.
    Like i said before, if that's we had to pay to buy him, then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I heard Andy Townsend described as Irish once.:D

Ha ha!! That bloke bleeds green, don't ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Which player is supposed to have whispered "this one goes on for a bit" not realising it was the Irish national anthem :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Lets compare figures

1. Those figures are incorrect

2.This is a thread about Robbie Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I've had a bad couple of weeks and a particularly bad day in work today, so to hell with it...

Spurs reported Liverpool for breach of rule Q2. How can it not then be relevant?

I was going to throw a load of abuse your way, but I can't be arsed. Suffice to say I'll simply add you to my ignore list and sleep a little sounder. Good day.

He He.Ive just had a picture in my head of Robbie Keane with a perm and tash telling you to "calm down calm down"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm not going to even bother arguing my case.
    This seems to be a propaganda thread about how great Robbie Keane,Benitez and Liverpool are.
    Any discussion/questioning of the above seems to be regarded as blasphemy.

If this thread is about Robbie Keane, then it's about Robbie Keane.
    If this is the case, then why the hell are you posting 'Those figures are incorrect?'
    If you want to start the debate again, start a bloody new thread. Otherwise shush.
    [p.s. This isn't about me agreeing with him, I was the ****ing guy who started the debate and the guy who compiled those figures with another person on the forum]
    Anything else on this will get a yellow card.

Yep, that topic has been done to death and if people wanna argue that Rafa has the funds of Utd and Chelsea, then let them be wrong

monkey9 gets a yellow card for talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its definitely a lot of money for Keane. However, Its what I expected you would have to pay to get him. If Spurs were asking for any more, I would have hoped Rafa would walk away. i.e if Spurs were demanding 23-25m that would be too much.

Good business of Spurs and hopefully good business for Liverpool too.

Ignore lists are for people loosing arguments!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL Ignore lists are people who are to be ignored!

Villain wrote: »
    LOL Ignore lists are people who are to be ignored!

No, they're away of saying.

I've been prooved wrong, but now I'm not going to address the fact that you caught me out by running away putting my fingers in my ears and singing "la la la I can't hear you!!!"

I've four times addressed how the article h'es posted was wrong.
    He refuses to respond.
    That was four times before he "ignored me".
    He has no response.

Whether Liverpool broke the Premiership law or not is besides the point.
    He posted something implying it meant one thing.
    It didn't.
    I pointed it out (repeatedly)
    He refused to address this and ran away cause he had no answer.

He also keeps on saying that Tottenham reported Liverpool for Q2 when Tottenham or nobody else is.
    He's making it up.
    Tottenham made a case against Man Utd for the Berbatov transfer relating to Q2.
    THe reported Liverpool a week earlier, seperately for their handling of the transfer, never mentioning Q2.
    Of course TRO won't respond to this, but will contiue to lie to himself and others cause he's the kind of person who adds you to his ignore list rather than using little things like facts and the real world.

I hate the post of a lot of people on this forums, but I have nobody on my ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well the thing in my mind is by donating to the Spurs charity says more than any rule, they stepped over the line and apologised for it and I think thats good for Liverpool rather than deny any wrong doing, all clubs do it from time to time, the biggest problem I have is when fans can't accept that their club did any wrong and blindly refuse to see what they have done.

Villain wrote: »
    Well the thing in my mind is by donating to the Spurs charity says more than any rule, they stepped over the line and apologised for it and I think thats good for Liverpool rather than deny any wrong doing, all clubs do it from time to time, the biggest problem I have is when fans can't accept that their club did any wrong and blindly refuse to see what they have done.

Yes, they admitted that it's not nice to mention that they were interested in Keane.
    You however asked (all those pages ago!:p) if Liverpool had admitted to tapping up Keane.

Simple answer, no.
    Not even Tottenham accused Liverpool of tapping up Keane.
    Only Spurs fans are doing that.

Is it wrong to mention your interest in other players?
    Maybe.
    Does everyone do it?
    Yes.

Levy used to media to appease fans, just like Liverpool used the media to publially show interest.
    it's the way football works.

Liverpool appologised and made a donation, as a way to expedite the transfer, not because they were woried of being accused of tapping Keane up, cause they were never accused of tapping Keane up.

If you wanna be technical however, Liverpool have never been reprimanded by any agency for an illegal approach to a contracted indevidual.
    Spurs were less than a year ago!

Simple.

Edit: Just to be clear, I've no problem with admitting that Liverpool have bent/broken rules in the past.
    as you said every club does.
    I think that Liverpool, Arsenal, and Man Utd's rape of underage Spanish players is disgusting for instance.
    They didn't tap Keane up however.
    All I'm saying is it's a non issue, cause Spurs never even accused them of it.
    Only Spurs fans seem to think it (some, not all obviously).

• Advertisement
Advertisement