Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair needs all your support. Would we really want to lose them?.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

b3t4 wrote: »
    3) They brought in notion that it's ok to charge me to bring luggage on a holiday.

...and long may it continue. It's the people that are paying for luggage etc that are subsiding my cheap flights.

I got a return flight from Shannon-Gatwick for 24euro. I really hope Ryanair aren't going anywhere, otherwise half of this population wont be going anywhere either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lump wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of public transport - And people who can't go away for a week using only carry on luggage deserve to be charged!

You can tell this is a man posting. :D My last couple of flights were with Ryanair and in some respect they suit me beacause I can get it all into the carry-on. Very occasionally they even go to where I want to be. Even so any time I plan to go away somewhere they fly I look at the alternatives first. Even with "low prices", they are my airline of last resort. IMO EasyJet do the whole "cheap" airline better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

Plug wrote: »
    He'll even give you a blowjob!

lmao

i love ryanair! they're bringing me everywhere on my holidays this summer for about half the price of everywhere else!!

i hope they stay in the black!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I was curious there a few months back about how far ya can fly with ryanair and I worked out a route that took in 6 countries and 7 different flies all for the pricely sum of €280 incl. flights + 1 bag. How far would ya get with Aer Lingus, easyjet, BMi or any of the others for that money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

The fact that Ryanair are Irish means little to me. If I could find a cheaper airline, I'd use it. Ryanair can't really expect to rely on customer loyalty given their attitude towards customer service, no matter how cheap they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

People are quick to forget what flying was like only 10 years ago! It costed a fortune to nip away for a weekend. I'm happy to sacrifice my hot towel, free drinks and free beer to travel for 10% of what it used to cost. Fair play to Ryanair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

m@cc@ wrote: »
    The fact that Ryanair are Irish means little to me. If I could find a cheaper airline, I'd use it. Ryanair can't really expect to rely on customer loyalty given their attitude towards customer service, no matter how cheap they are.
    I don't think loyalty is what they're looking for really.

Brand loyalty is a load of crap, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

I've never flown with them, and I never will. I don't like poor people. :p

Oh, and this - QFT:
    b3t4 wrote: »
    1) The cheap flights are generally at unsociable hours which means I have to get a taxi to and from the airport which adds to the cost.
    2) They don't necessarily fly exactly to the location I want to go to therefore I have to get a taxi which adds to the cost.
    3) They brought in notion that it's ok to charge me to bring luggage on a holiday.
    4) From news stories and the likes I would question how they treat they're staff.

All in all they aren't a 'low cost' airline in my eyes.

Oh, and the boarding scrum - utterly undignified, and needlessly ridiculous policy in my opinion.

Ryanair is for people who just can't afford civilised air travel (and damn them for forcing the other airlines to cut prices too, so that nearly any pleb can fly with them now.) :pac:

The sooner Ryanair die, and air travel becomes disgustingly expensive again, the better. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Yes, I would miss Ryanair if we lost them. Their seats are comfy enough, and I usually go to sleep for the whole journey when on a flight anyways, so I don't want or need fancy things in the airplane. Would not have been able to fly as much if they weren't here and Aer Lingus were still trying to charge extortionate prices for their flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I flew with them once many years ago, it was okay I guess. :idk:
    Haven't used them since because they don't fly to where I want to go. I wouldn't miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ryanair should have taken on the Virgin model and taken up Rail travel.

It is disgusting that one can fly from Kerry or Cork to Dublin cheaper than taking the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

cornbb wrote: »
    Ryanair are a bunch of bastards. Their business model and success is based upon that of Southwest Airlines in the US. Yet Southwest have a reputation for treating people extremely well and not sacrificing the comfort and dignity of their passengers for the sake of lower prices. Which gives me the impression a lot of Ryanair's flaws are completely unnecessary.

Was listening to Matt Cooper chiding a Ryanir spokesman last week on the radio, yet the spokesman still managed to worm in plenty of marketing-speak about their low-low prices and latest offers. Quelle surprise!

Well it's not as if it's not common knowledge that ryanair treat their passengers like ****e, if you want to pay more for a better service, then do!

I for one love paying €10 to go to france or germany whenever I want. Couldn't give a ****e about the airline, I'll sleep during the flight.

And don't ryanair have the lowest rate of late flights and lost baggage? I don't know why anyone ever complains about them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ryanair should have taken on the Virgin model and taken up Rail travel.

It is disgusting that one can fly from Kerry or Cork to Dublin cheaper than taking the train.
    Irish Rail have finally responded, although it is only during the week. They even have the same kind of conditions. :D Thread on it a few weeks back in Commuting & Transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Don't complain when they charge for extras that are your choice.
    That's fine. I reserve the right to complain when they misrepresent the cost of the flight up front.

Airport charges and taxes are not my choice, they are an intrinsic part of the cost to fly.

Unless I am allowed to turn up at the airport with my own jet fuel (not recommended), then paying for fuel is not an optional extra either.

To be fair, AFAIK all of the popular short-haul carriers are guilty of this. How is it not considered false advertising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

A Mc Donalds with wings..:)

i would have said over-crowded transit van meself... :D

is_that_so wrote: »
    Irish Rail have finally responded, although it is only during the week. They even have the same kind of conditions. :D Thread on it a few weeks back in Commuting & Transport.
    About 5 years too late.

My brother enquired about a return from Heuston to Cork after he had finished collage. He was quoted over £30.00, His response to your one at the ticket office was, "I only want a ticket, I don't want to buy the fu**ing train". her face dropped.

yeah - have to say , do miss the days of gettin tea & sambos included in price, and decent chairs that reclined.. ahhhh the good auld days...

Next thing they will be putting excess taxes on "the larger persons" and on "the tall persons" for taking up more, eh width and blocking windows & light or something... (joking... incase people need to be told..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is it dearer to run a train at the weekend or this a company that sees a chance to make money off a monopoly and abusing it?

yeah - have to say , do miss the days of gettin tea & sambos included in price, and decent chairs that reclined.. ahhhh the good auld days...

Next thing they will be putting excess taxes on "the larger persons" and on "the tall persons" for taking up more, eh width and blocking windows & light or something... (joking... incase people need to be told..)
    I would be more concerned about the possibilities of them introducing the coin operated jacks :eek:

• Advertisement

Is it dearer to run a train at the weekend or this a company that sees a chance to make money off a monopoly and abusing it?

Friday & sunday prices go up - to make more money - the guy working in local train station told me that...

I would be more concerned about the possibilities of them introducing the coin operated jacks :eek:

lol :D

maybe you shouldn't be posting things that they would actually consider doing...

lol :D

maybe you shouldn't be posting things that they would actually consider doing...
    And an additional charge for the bog roll :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i think extra charges for the larger individual are on the cards with the american airlines!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Seatbelt fees
    Air surcharge
    Clothing levy
    Lifejacket deposit

Patent Pending

Seatbelt fees
    Air surcharge
    Clothing levy
    Lifejacket deposit

Patent Pending
    News just in....Ryanair considers 'zero-bag' flights to reduce fuel costs http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/2469249/Ryanair-considers-'zero-bag'-flights-to-reduce-fuel-costs.html

Perhaps no harm..:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF2DWJSxL5U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

I have one simple rule with ryanair, if it costs me more the 5 quid total inl of tax for a each way on ryanair then I will fly Airlingus cos its not worth spending more for a ryanair flight, Also when traveling as a group I have got into the habit of booking only one of us with a priority boarding ticket so then one of us can get on the plane first to hold the seats for the rest of us. When the tickets are so cheap and tax inclusive on a 2hr+ flight I usually buy an extra seat with money saved on priority boarding fees, then I claim 2 seats on the flight and have a comfortable flight with no one sitting next to me cos I got the xtra boarding pass from online checkin. Thats the way to travel Ryanairfirstclass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Great plan but you still don't have any leg space. I've used ryanair before, have no problems with them. Why are people so surprised by the naked face of capitalism? They are no different than any other business you use on a daily basis, O'Leary is just more up front about wanting to get rich from giving you the least possible service at the best price (for him).

Great plan but you still don't have any leg space.

now this is Ryanairfirstclass I am talking about, If you want the Premium Ryanairfirstclass then you buy 2 extra seats then you have the whole row and youcan layout and sleep, great for those early morning flights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

1. Bookings - Aside from certain [unproven?] allegations re. Ryanair dynamically pricing flights on a dizzying exponential escalation as people query availability - It is certainly true that their online booking system does attempt to add sneaky, insidious surcharges onto every conceivable booking angle - no integrity in sight, and needless, cynical sharp practice in my opinion.

2. Boarding Melee
    - Children learn to queue in the fcuking playground - they learn at an early age because their Mam tells them its civilised and makes life easier for both them and all the other kids - there's two options; order and harmony or elbows and gritted teeth - as another poster mentioned its not even necessary [?]

3. Where In the World am I now?
    -
    Passengers you have reached your destination, please note that if you flew with Ryanair you will need to prepare to travel overland by bus, train or pack-donkey to actually reach your destination.

4. Mid-flight Marrakesh - Buy scratch cards, fags, timeshares in Benidorm, fcuk it O'Leary would have Bear Baiting, Bare Knuckle Topless Boxing and Dog Fighting on-board if he could only manage to hire the handling staff.

5. How Rude!
    - Henry Ford invented the production line and paid his workers high wages to maintain pride in their work and quality. JC Penney said pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap. Some might say that O'leary says sell 'em cheap and hang them out. No other Airline in my opinion so consistently disrespects its paying customers. Somebody mentioned a Bus Service analogy earlier? I'd disagree and say its more aligned to a winged cattle truck, just without the stun guns, although I'd say they're itching to pilot that scheme......

6. Cheap as chips
    - "Joe Murphy paid 1 cent to go to London - can't argue there mate" :D Well you can - this is only economically feasible because Mike O'Connor paid €240 the day before the flight because he was badly stuck, desperate, expensing it via work or plain stupid. Average out the fares for the two passengers and its ~€120 each. You can't have 1 cent flights without somebody paying for the insurance, aircraft leasing, content staff, well rested Pilots etc. etc. Somebody is paying because they feel they have no other choice etc. - its economically axiomatic.

7. P|ss on me for I deserve it. - On reading this thread it does seem like a lot of folks are happy to get shat on subsequent to contributing more ca$h to a large, solvent, already comfortably established profit-making organisation. The Irish mentality whereby a poor understanding of and low expectations for an acceptable level of quality of service and respect to the consumer translates into people being more and more grateful to be offered less and less. Soon they'll be queuing with nothing more than a toothbrush in one pocket, toothpaste in the other and a banana in their lowly hand for sustenance while secretly being glad that they're allowed to wear their shoes......

8. A career with Ryanair?
    - I overheard a conversation when I was on the bus not so long ago where a weeping Mother said her son had commenced employment with Ryanair, she repeatedly sobbed that she had urged him to pursue a life of drug-abuse, wife-beating and petty crime instead - just so he'd have some security, cash in his pocket and a modicum of self respect at the end of each day.

Disclaimer: all of the above statements are intended to be received as being merely in jest, or humorous expressions of my opinion in keeping with the general tone of this discussion with no intent to malign Ryanair, its practices and procedures or in any way imply that Ryanair does not exercise the very highest standards in all of its dealings, or any other interaction with consumers/the public. I hold no responsibility for any retelling of overheard conversations and fully accept that such tales may be entirely groundless, misleading and untrue. I offer to withdraw any comment immediately should it happen to offend as it is not my intention to offend any party, group or organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

^^^^^

What he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Great plan but you still don't have any leg space. I've used ryanair before, have no problems with them. Why are people so surprised by the naked face of capitalism? They are no different than any other business you use on a daily basis, O'Leary is just more up front about wanting to get rich from giving you the least possible service at the best price (for him).

Leg space guide - Ryanair is about the average

http://www.westernair.co.uk/seatpitch.html

+ 1

he he he
    Kitten soft classed as luxury 50000% vat charge :)

taidghbaby wrote: »
    i think extra charges for the larger individual are on the cards with the american airlines!!

well now thats just unfair... its genetic coding... cant charge extra for genetic deformaties... (well thats what the yanks will say im sure :cool:)

Seatbelt fees
    Air surcharge
    Clothing levy
    Lifejacket deposit

Patent Pending

i shudder to think what will be going on inn ryanair flights if that comes in and people try saving pennies by removing clothes... :eek: 'specially the people with the genetic coding hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

They have €2.2bn in the bank so we're not going to lose them.

I fly them when I have to or when it suits me.

Usually when it's dirt cheap to or from Manchester, Brum or Gatwick.

The one day I did have praise for them was last year when there were force 8 gales here and in the UK. Aer Arann and Aer Lingus were cancelling loads of flights due to the weather.

But my flight took off after a bit of a delay and the pilot did a great job, despite the plane being blown around like a leaf by the winds at Gatwick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just after flying with ryanair. We paid €30 each for a return trip to glasgow which is pretty cheap (especially considering our train ticket to Dublin cost €40). Not once did they even bother to weigh our luggage so we could have easily went over the limit and it wouldn't of mattered. Ok it went to Prestwick instead of Glasgow but all we had to do is pay £3.50 for a train ticket. Their food prices are ridiculous though. £5 for 2 bottles of water is scandalous but you don't have to buy it.

The one day I did have praise for them was last year when there were force 8 gales here and in the UK. Aer Arann and Aer Lingus were cancelling loads of flights due to the weather.

But my flight took off after a bit of a delay and the pilot did a great job, despite the plane being blown around like a leaf by the winds at Gatwick.[/QUOTE]

I would rather have the option of a 99.9999% chance of arriving in one piece on a later air lingus flight rather then be blown around like a leaf in an aluminium tube risking wind shear just to get there on time. Most Ryanair landings I have experienced are more like a kangeroo with wings hopping down the runway and doing a swerve from side at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Tony255 wrote: »
    lets be honest if it wasnt for Ryanair we would be paying another low cost carrier for flights and we should be proud that it is an Irish company. You need to remember that they are 'Low Cost' and this phrase does not usually go hand in hand with 5 star treatment. I love the way they operate and how outspoken O'Leary is. Look at Irish Rail you could fly dublin to cork cheaper than it would cost you on the train and you are not treated any better on the train than what you are by Ryanair.

Ryanair are one of the first airlines to announce profit decreases, Aerlingus dropped nearly 15% off their share price today, so ryanairs announcement today has nothing to do with the quality of their service.
    Its service isn't good, but you're right - many airlines, with all service levels, are losing money.
    We need to realise that you get what you pay for. You are not paying much, so you aren't going to get much.
    bronte wrote: »
    Ah Ryanair...have had 6 flights with them over the past few weeks.
    On the most recent one over to London, we were sitting on the tarmac waiting for the last passenger to board..everyone's getting fed up etc. and the guy comes up the steps.
    Who is it only Micheal O Leary! :D
    Will be using them a lot more now I'm moving to london, what with trips home and the like.
    It's grand for what it is..as long as you don't get too delayed.
    That's frustrating, but can you blame him for using his own service? It seems like the same man that makes his car a taxi so he can use the bus lanes would also have a private jet fly him around (as most CEOs of large companies do). You can't say he doesn't know how the customer feels (besides maybe missing his flight).
    That's fine. I reserve the right to complain when they misrepresent the cost of the flight up front.

Airport charges and taxes are not my choice, they are an intrinsic part of the cost to fly.

Unless I am allowed to turn up at the airport with my own jet fuel (not recommended), then paying for fuel is not an optional extra either.

To be fair, AFAIK all of the popular short-haul carriers are guilty of this. How is it not considered false advertising?
    Agreed. Every (short-haul) airline does it though. Those charges are not by choice. If it is a fixed cost on every flight, then it should be included. Charging extra for food? That's fine.
    People think they are getting snacks on other airlines for free. Well, it's not free, it's just included in the price of the flight. Five years ago, everyone complained about how horrible the food was in airplanes. So they took the food away and now we are ready to riot! The airline simply gave us a choice. €5 for a snack or water - if you are not thirsty, hungry, or if it doesn't look appealing to you - just be glad you didn't already pre-pay in your ticket price.

Point: I went on holiday to Cork (from Detroit) to visit family, etc. I also wanted to go to Dublin for two days just for a good time. Irish Rail was €49, and Ryan was €58 including taxes and fees and the flight times were 14:00 and 11:00. I will fly for €9 more to save time and get to the same place, and I only needed two days worth of clothes, etc. If it was that terrible, I wouldn't have taken it. Would I fly that kind of service going overseas? Probably not, but it was perfect for an hour in the air where I wouldn't be hungry, thirsty, or actually use any of the services that are normally offered by a more expensive airline.

• Advertisement

Seatbelt fees
    Air surcharge
    Clothing levy
    Lifejacket deposit

Patent Pending
    Did you see the cartoon in this evenings Herald?

Extras...............
    Greetings e5
    Inflight Magazines e10
    Toilet Paper. e20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

dont care becase thay are a rip off in the frist plase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Aer Lingus were responsible for a lot of unhappy times for immigrants pre-Ryanair.
    They were charging astronomical prices at a time when they were government backed and fuel was far cheaper.
    Without Ryanair we wouldn't be the educated travelled people we are today.
    Aer Lingus deprived me of at least 3 good Christmases due to high flight prices whereas i've had a 2 year "long" distance relationship courtesy of cheap flights from Ryanair.
    I've heard and read of horror stories about Ryanair but thankfully i've never encountered anything like that flying with them...
    I hope the day of cheap flights are not doomed!

Thanks to Ryanair People on the dole can afford to fly.

Advertisement