Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And my Vice President shall be...

Options
  • 28-07-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

?

Who do you think they should pick & why?

There are so many names being floated, i don't think anyone has a clue who will be the chosen ones!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 phoebeclark

Haven't really thought about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

McCain - Powell

Obama - Edwards

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

mike65 wrote: »
    McCain - Powell

Obama - Edwards

Mike.

Powell wouldn't do it, i'd say.

Edwards didn't do much for Kerry in '04. Is a likeable guy, but comes over as a bit of a snake oil salesman. Also has some personal embroilments at the moment that would rule him out (perhaps you read about it over the past week?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

No way will it be edwards. His wife is dying and he was caught the other week with another woman. I think also there is an illegitmate child invloved.

Obama - Clinton.

McCain - Hucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oops then. Clinton could be such a liabilty, could she avoid saying something completly stupid for 4 months?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Would have liked to see either of them bring in a woman, unfortunately on the GOP side the talented candidates are all pro-choice and their selection would almost doom him to defeat and on the Dem side , well there's Hillary.

I think Obama needs to pick someone who can help with blue collar type states and McCain needs someone to shore up the conservative side of the GOP.

Obama - Tim Kaine/Ted Strickland/Bill Ritter or even the singing Martin O'Malley from Maryland
    McCain - Huckerbee or Huckerbee clone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't see why Powell wouldn't do it, as he's a lot closer to McCain on the spectrum than many Republicans, but I'm not sure I see McCain picking him. It's not as if he needs more military credibility.

Don't forget Jindal. He's an outisde shot, but not out of the realms of possibility.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mike65 wrote: »
    McCain - Powell

Obama - Edwards

Mike.

Edwards will do nothing for Obama's elitist image...Powell could work for McCain, I think he needs someone a few decades younger than himself and with a clean bill of health tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

So far it looks like a close election.

I think Obama will pick someone who will help him carry a larger swing state based on their electoral votes, or other factors relating to vote getting rather than substance (PA - 21, FL - 27, MI – 17, NC – 15, VA – 13, MO – 11, IN – 11). VA Governor Timothy Kaine, and IN Senator Evan Bayh, KS Governor Kathleen Sebelius (to offset the Clinton female factor), and in desperation even NY Senator Hillary Clinton are the only real choices. John Edwards is a arrogant political suicidal idiot. I think someone with military experience isn’t necessary for Obama's choice, and he will handle that deficiency in his cabinet. My pick is Tim Kaine who is also Catholic (still represent a substantial voting block in the US). The only way he would pick Clinton is if he were advised within the next month that he didn’t have chance for the presidency without her.

McCain needs to appease the conservatives and also look at the swing states. Former Governor Mitt Romney and FL Governor Charlie Christ are the obvious choices. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice would be able to draw some black and female votes, and would appeal to the conservatives. Former PA Governor and Homeland Security director Tom Ridge’s name keeps popping up, but 2 moderates on the ticket won’t fly. AK's Governor Sarah Palin could also help with the female factor, and MN's Governor Tim Pawlenty would help out with the Miidwest vote. My choice would be Condi Rice, but my money is on Romney.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Romney comes off a total prick. I saw an interview with Crist and oh my god, what a likable guy. He's just so... likeable.

• Advertisement

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    So far it looks like a close election.

I think Obama will pick someone who will help him carry a larger swing state based on their electoral votes, or other factors relating to vote getting rather than substance (PA - 21, FL - 27, MI – 17, NC – 15, VA – 13, MO – 11, IN – 11). ... I think someone with military experience isn’t necessary for Obama's choice, and he will handle that deficiency in his cabinet. My pick is Tim Kaine who is also Catholic (still represent a substantial voting block in the US). The only way he would pick Clinton is if he were advised within the next month that he didn’t have chance for the presidency without her.

Excellent point about Clinton. Why else would he pick her? :)
    McCain needs to appease the conservatives and also look at the swing states. Former Governor Mitt Romney and FL Governor Charlie Christ are the obvious choices.

My money would be on him choosing Romney too. But Charlie Christ has more populist charisma. i really like Tom Ridge, but as you say, two moderates wouldn't work.

McCain is very much a personality in his own right and has a strong character developed over many years in politics. Therefore, i think his choice matters less in terms of the likeability of his ticket, than Obama's does. His main focus should be to appease the right wing of the GOP.

Obama seems to face a bigger challenge. Someone who won't overshadow him, but will add gravitas to his ticket and compensate for his relative inexperience. The bitterness of the Dems Primary campaign also complicates his choice.

banquo wrote: »
    Romney comes off a total prick. I saw an interview with Crist and oh my god, what a likable guy. He's just so... likeable.

He really is, even though he's a Perma Tan man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eltentwelve

Edwards will do nothing for Obama's elitist image...Powell could work for McCain, I think he needs someone a few decades younger than himself and with a clean bill of health tbh...

Do you guys think Edwards can still handle it?

No, for 3 reasons:

1. He's already said 'no way', hated running as VP and would never do it again.

2. An affair he was having was discovered a little over a month ago, he played fair cop about it.

3. Didn't work last time, so it would hardly be good electioneering if they picked a failed VP candidate.

It's pretty hard for Obama to pick a running mate who helps his message, but doesn't outshine him. IMO.

http://fishbowlamerica.com/?p=557

Interview with Charlie Crist.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I don't see why Powell wouldn't do it

He has gone on record as not agreeing with McCains policies. He is also nicked named "Ombamacon". Although I doubt very much he would run for VP under Obama.

banquo wrote: »
    http://fishbowlamerica.com/?p=557

Interview with Charlie Crist.

Cringe! What a puff piece (or would be if the interviewer looked a bit more interested!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nycman

Obama should pick Hillary,just to unify the fractured Dem base. At the moment BArack only has a measly 2% lead in the polls. He needs the female and blue collar support that Hillary has.

Mc Cain-Huckabee

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

nycman wrote: »
    Obama should pick Hillary,just to unify the fractured Dem base

Not going to happen. Dem base isn't fractured and if it was a choice of Obama or someone who is exactly the same as Bush who do you think the Dem people are going to vote for?

As for Huckabee.. o_O If he did and if he got in then there would be no hope for the USA ever getting out of the mess it is in and your liable to see the rise of Christian fundamentalist even more. I mean this is a guy who thinks the earth is only 6,000 years old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mccain should pick hagel, and then mccain should die.

mccain should pick hagel, and then mccain should die.

HA! Nice. :D

But yeah, O won't pick Hilldog. Who's votes would he pick up? You think there are any former-republicans or independants who wouldn't vote for Barack, but would for Hillary? Not in Virginia where she lost nearly 2-1, anyway...

It might have worked in Ohio but McCain seems to have put his foot in it there saying that he'd gladly pick a candidate who was pro-abortion.

• Advertisement

Obama's camp have said that it won't be a chick, as it would just antagonise HIlldog's supporters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Two possibilities currently being talked about for McCain are Lieberman, which would be a very interesting selection, and Ridge, the current (very popular) governor of Pennsylvania, one of the larger Swing States. The problem with Liberman is that the GOP base would not like it at all. On the other hand, it may very well swing a larger number of Independents to him than he would lose in the GOP base.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I know it's not going to happen, but I would have loved an Obama/Clinton ticket. I would have actually preferred Clinton/Obama, but that ship has sailed.

I really don't give a shit who McCain picks. He could have Jesus as his running mate and I still wouldn't vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

There’s one Democrat who would seem to have little or no chance of being picked by Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) to be his running mate – his former opponent, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.).

But it’s not for the reason you think.

Obama has often said, most recently on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on July 27, that Clinton “would be on anybody’s short list.”

But apparently not his.

“She was never vetted,” a Democratic official reported.
    • She was not asked for a single piece of paper.
    • She and Senator Obama have never had a single conversation about it.
    • Clinton never met with Obama’s vetting team of Eric Holder and Caroline Kennedy.
    • She was never asked for medical records.
    • She was never asked for any financial 2008 information about her or former President Bill Clinton.

Source: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12713.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Go Hilldog!

woof! woof! woof! woof! woof! woof! woof! woof! woof! woof! woof! woof!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Looks like its Biden - fairly obvious choice to attempt to address voters concerns over a Senator with a relatively short track record, and where theres so little brand awareness [ despite mass media coverage] that over 10% of voters apparently believe Obama is a muslim.

Biden can do the attack dog stuff whilst Obama remains above the fray in presidential style, he can help Obama get votes in the blue collar states that have so far been left cold by Obamas more fringe idealogical base. Hes got tremendous experience. Hes essentially got everything Obama doesnt, so is a decent choice. On the other hand, he is a quintessential Washington insider - its difficult for an Obama-Biden ticket to campaign on change when at least one half of that ticket will be "more of the same".

All thats left now if for McCain to pick his VP, which will probably be Mitt Romney - who again covers most of McCains weak spots. However whilst Romney is now nominally anti-abortion/same sex marraige & civil unions he has travelled quite a road to reach that position so such a choice wont do too much to reassure the christian right fanatics. On the other hand, Romney would be fairly moderate otherwise and will be able to address the US economy with authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

And damn - already the attacks angled on Biden are coming out to play:

""the first mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

Biden praises Obama early in the Democratic nomination camapign. Doh!

"You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. It's a point. I'm not joking!"

Biden discussing the complexities of Indian immigration. Doh!

"He hasn't demonstrated it yet. This is early in the campaign."

Biden on being asked if Obama was ready to be US President. Doh!

Essentially though, have a track record long enough to be recognised for your experience and youre going to have a track record long enough for a lot of mistakes and "Did I say that?" type stuff. The Republicans will be digging through their dirt files on Biden and throwing everything at him and Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Maybe Obama was flattered by Biden's (in)famous remark:
    “the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.”

Finally!

Great choice - can't go far wrong with this one. He should provide good support to Obama.

i hope McCain names Romney. If Biden is guilty of denigrating Obama a bit in the primaries, well then he is more than matched by Romney's animus towards McCain!

Can wait for the OBAMA - BIDEN merchandising, so i can order a big mug for my desk at work! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Good choice by Obama. Although Biden may cause one or two problems for Obama he would be nowhere near as problematic as Hillary Clinton would have been if she had of been chosen

Advertisement