Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coppers.

Options
  • 28-07-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Seems to cop a fair bit of slack on here from certain people.

I proudly say I'm a fan. Its the funniest place to go ever when youre in the type of mood for a no holes barred, go nuts type session.

Good things about it.

Smoking area, great atmosphere

The fact nobody gives a bollocks what youre wearing or what brand it is

Nobody under 21

Everyone whos there is on a session, otherwise they wouldnt go to Coppers. Admittedly if youre not up for a laugh on it can be a nightmare because everyone seems so nuts!

Beautiful women (lads, you'd be surprised, get it on the right night and its top notch)

Not expensive to go in, fiver at the door, cheaper than most spots

Drink isnt an absolute rip off. 4.90 for the cider on tap, Cashels I think its called

Stays open later than everywhere else

The only nightclub in the city where you could go in on a tuesday and it would still be hopping and everyone would be up for a laugh

No Dublin 'boyooooossss' (I'm a Dub)

Bad things

They fill it FAR to much on a friday and saturday, I dont like it on either of these nights

The queue is MILES long on a weekend night, although it does move pretty quickly

Collecting your jacket afterwards can take years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pen1987 wrote: »
    Seems to cop a fair bit of slack
    Me likes what you did there! :)
    Its the funniest place to go ever when youre in the type of mood for a no holes barred, go nuts type session.
    The phrase is actually no holds barred but apparently no hole is barred (as in, out of bounds) there so that seems appropriate ;)
    I've never been there but what you're describing is the Dublin version of Cork's Reardens. To each their own, but I just could not stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I also like the fact that the D4 heads and jackeens alike are scared off by its popularity with us culchies. Good spot to go to every so often, once every 3 wks or so is plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Dudess wrote: »
    Me likes what you did there! :)

The phrase is actually no holds barred but apparently no hole is barred (as in, out of bounds) there so that seems appropriate ;)
    I've never been there but what you're describing is the Dublin version of Cork's Reardens. To each their own, but I just could not stick it.

Yes I know, there was a reason for that mistake.

I couldnt stick it two weekends in a row myself, but one weeknight a week is always perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Can get very packed at weekends and there isn't really much pleasure having a smoke when it's like that. Although if there aren't too many people in the place the smoking area can be nice.

Meh I don't really care what people think of what I'm wearing so it wouldn't bother me one way or the other.

Nobody under 21

Hahaha, I've been in the place with a few people who were under 21 so I don't know how you figure that there's no one under 21 in there.

It was a tenner in the last time I was there and that wasn't all that long ago.
    They fill it FAR to much on a friday and saturday, I dont like it on either of these nights

I'd tend to agree with this the amount of people they get in there is insane at times. I think the main reason the place gets a lot of slagging is its rep as a cattle mart. There's a lot of other places you can go and have a "no holds/holes barred session" without having the atmosphere of a cattle mart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bad things

That alone turns me off. You're literally squashed in the place on a Saturday night.

I don't think they're strict on over 21 btw. It just gives them a reason to turn young lads they don't like the look of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

two things i hate about it.

how packed it gets.

getting glass stuck in my shoes and picking it out for the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Sure what does it matter when you can't see below most shoulders due to the over crowding?
    Nobody under 21
    Yeah right....
    Beautiful women (lads, you'd be surprised, get it on the right night and its top notch)
    They're everywhere, skanks are there too, they're everywhere.
    Fiver into a late pub, how anyone could consider that a club is beyond me.
    No it doesn't.
    The only nightclub in the city where you could go in on a tuesday and it would still be hopping and everyone would be up for a laugh
    You obviously haven't been out too much, only, compared to where?

Who in their right mind would get enjoyment out of this?

Coppers is an over rated kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Quote:
    You obviously haven't been out too much, only, compared to where?

Someone got out of the bed on the wrong side this morning, was your reddy brek to cold aswell? I've been out plently, thanks for enquiring. Compared anywhere else attracting the same type of 20-25 year old middle class crowd. Where else is hopping on a tuesday then? The majority of places arent even open, let alone open until 3.30 and full.
    Quote:
    Who in their right mind would get enjoyment out of this?

Maybe thats why it was in the 'BAD THINGS ABOUT COPPERS' part of the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I also like the fact that the D4 heads and jackeens alike are scared off by its popularity with us culchies.

Us 'jackeens' also like the fact that it's guaranteed to keep a couple of hundred of the more egregious boggers from other local clubs, 7 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Seems to cop a fair bit of slack on here from certain people.

I proudly say I'm a fan. Its the funniest place to go ever when youre in the type of mood for a no holes barred, go nuts type session.

Good things about it.

Nobody under 21

Everyone whos there is on a session, otherwise they wouldnt go to Coppers. Admittedly if youre not up for a laugh on it can be a nightmare because everyone seems so nuts!

Drink isnt an absolute rip off. 4.90 for the cider on tap, Cashels I think its called

No Dublin 'boyooooossss' (I'm a Dub)

Bad things

The queue is MILES long on a weekend night, although it does move pretty quickly

Collecting your jacket afterwards can take years

Dude what Coppers are ya talking about?

It's a tenner to get in! You can't see anyone in there, its packed with d4's and wannabe's the lads have bleached blonde hair and fake tan, they grab girls butts, the girls think they are too posh! With their juicy couture, A&F and Mac make up.

It's a KIP!!!!!

And majority of the people there were less than 21!!!!!
    Smoking area.... great atmosphere:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Someone got out of the bed on the wrong side this morning, was your reddy brek to cold aswell? I've been out plently, thanks for enquiring. Compared anywhere else attracting the same type of 20-25 year old middle class crowd. Where else is hopping on a tuesday then? The majority of places arent even open, let alone open until 3.30 and full.

Maybe thats why it was in the 'BAD THINGS ABOUT COPPERS' part of the list.

I was just hightlighting the place's facts, dunno why you're getting touchy about it. How long are you drinking there?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Pros: 1. It's the only place in town that you're gauranteed a crowd any night of the week. Especially on student nights.

2. The majority of people there are up for the craic.

Cons: It gets WAY too overfilled on busy nights. Once or twice it's been so packed I thought I was going to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Nobody under 21
    Compared anywhere else attracting the same type of 20-25 year old middle class crowd.
    Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Pros: Getting some nurse action

Cons: Being on the Ray D'Arcy show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

rmacm wrote: »
    Meh I don't really care what people think of what I'm wearing so it wouldn't bother me one way or the other
    Yeah, me too.

This cattle mart concept - it's the same for Reardens, the Cork Coppers (I had to endure two hen nights there). Is it not in serious breach of fire safety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Been in there a couple of times unplanned and they've been pretty good nights.

Although in all fairness most nights out are usually pretty good or you wouldn't bother.

Unless a place is a right kip it's the crowd you're with who'll give you a good or bad night.

Advertisement