Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Festival 2008

Options
  • 28-07-2008 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Up and Coming in Greystones

Greystones Arts Festival is not being held this year, however, Greystones Studios & Theatre in association with Meridian Point will be hosting it’s first ever Greystones Town Festival on the August bank holiday weekend, 1st-4th of August 2008. We are expecting over 4,500 people to converge on our community to enjoy a weekend packed with live music, dance, theatre, street performance, workshops, exhibitions & children’s activities at Greystones Theatre, Greystones Studios and Meridian Point alongside other key venues throughout Greystones Town. You will not want to miss being part of this exciting event. Kelly has been on East Coast Radio and the Declan Meehan show and will be on again next week so tune in. We have had newspaper coverage in Greystones News and Bray People, 10,000 booklets have been distributed around Greystones and surrounding area.
    We are looking for volunteers if anyone is around please contact

info@greystonesstudios.com or 01- 2871711

If you are interested in what is happening check out our event guide:
    www.greystonestheatre.com/festival/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Having read the flyer that was popped in the letterbox over the weekend, I'm a little surprised to see the festival seems to be confined to the theatre, studio and the Meridian center. A great line up of acts nevertheless and some decent events too.

Seems a shame that it's not spread out around the town as with previous years.

Why nothing in the park? No fireworks? I appreciate that the harbour is gone, but surely they could have been done around the corner in the cove behind the La Touche?

[edit: posts for 2008 festival separated out to new (stickied) thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gstudios

We would have loved to have done something like this but due to the short notice we had to confine things to one area..
    Work on this festival started 4 weeks ago...!!!

One big issue which needs months of preparation is approaching the Wicklow planning office for planning permission for such events and having it spread out..

However everyone has been a massive support esp Grainne Mc Loughlin and Greystones Town Council and not forgetting The Chamber of Commerce. to make this happen. Lets just work on it for next year and get the festival back to its former glory!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Add a poker tournamnet to the schedule imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

CHD wrote: »
    Add a poker tournamnet to the schedule imo

Not everyone is interested in anti-social games like poker tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Not everyone is interested in anti-social games like poker tbh
    Are you following CHD around Boards to troll him? From looking at some of your recent posts it looks that way.

Have a read of the charter before posting here again and keep your flame war off this forum. Try the Thunderdome for that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

King of Greystones is also on Sat 9th at 10.... should b a great day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

did they sort out their argument with the Council over parking fees?

Not sure...but last i heard there were gonna have to give something to cover the cost for taking the car park for the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

airscotty wrote: »
    Not sure...but last i heard there were gonna have to give something to cover the cost for taking the car park for the day...

i think this is scandalous behaviour from the council (town council?). The organisers raise (and have raised) considerable amounts of money for very worthy causes with the Triathlon. I know that pay-parking has just been introduced to the town, and thats the line the council are playing. However, it smacks of petty minded beaurocracy that they (the council) can't see beyond themselves to donate use of the car park FOC.
    A sponsor may come in and take the brunt of the costs (around €2k iirc) but that 2k is money that should be going directly to the charities - good work council...not

my 2c

agreed.... iv raised money...and basically im paying for the use of the car park for the day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its bad form on the part of the council - TBH i don't think the pay parking should be in operation on saturdays at all... if the idea is stop commuters from occupying spaces all day, well there a lot less commuters on saturday.

Greystones - €1 an hour
    Dundrum - €2 for 3 hours

really gonna help the local shops compete eh?

Advertisement