Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line stats question

Options
  • 28-07-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

I am on bt 2 meg. My line stats from my router are as follows:
    Type Interleave
    Status No Defect
    Downstream Upstream
    Data rate (Kbps)
    1952 384
    Noise margin (dB)
    6.7 16.0
    Output power (dBm)
    17.6 2.4
    Attenuation (dB)
    47.0 28.0

Is that upstream speed correct for the 2 meg package? I was expecting to be upgraded to 3 meg over the weekend but looks like I haven't been. Any thoughts on whether my line would support 3 meg appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Those line stats don't look good i'm afraid. I believe u may have already had the upgrade but are maxing out at 1952Kb downstream. The upload sync speed is correct for the 3mb package. Inputing ur line stats here http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/ will give u a general idea of what u can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Ludo wrote: »
    I am on bt 2 meg. My line stats from my router are as follows:
    Type Interleave
    Status No Defect
    Downstream Upstream
    Data rate (Kbps)
    1952 384
    Noise margin (dB)
    6.7 16.0
    Output power (dBm)
    17.6 2.4
    Attenuation (dB)
    47.0 28.0

Is that upstream speed correct for the 2 meg package? I was expecting to be upgraded to 3 meg over the weekend but looks like I haven't been. Any thoughts on whether my line would support 3 meg appreciated. Thanks.

Please take a look at the following thread;
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055343535
    Judging by the above thread you could get 3mb as your line attenuation is just ok (the lower attenuation the better) but your Noise Margin is holding you back(the higher the noise margin the better)- there are some ways to improve Noise Margin;
    1)Disconnect all filters in the house and plug the phoneline from the router into the phone socket in the wall to see if that makes a difference.
    2)Your router may be crap and resulting in a low Noise Margin, you may need to buy a new router or upgrade its firmware
    See the following;
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56673483&postcount=1492

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thanks guys. Router shouldn't be the problem as I got a new one recently enough. Must look into the other info. Figured I had been upgraded alright judging by the upload speed but line cant handle the download rate...damn. Still, 2meg/3meg...no big difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That line is performing below par. I've seen a line connecting at 3072 kbps with attenuation of 47dB on this forum recently.

Trying what rc28 mentioned should help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Trying what rc28 mentioned should help.

You mean the dead wasp inside the socket :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Every little helps:D

Btw, eircom have little regard for the attenuation that a consumer modem will report. Between the DSLAM itself and the testers that eircom linesmen have, they will have the more accurate figures.

And people, ignore those damn SNR values off netopia routers unless you keep rechecking it and gather an average value. They hop all over the place with every refresh. Especially at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You mean the dead wasp inside the socket :D

Hey don't insult the wasp, he was doing a good job keeping my line stable and I'm pretty sure Eircom were paying him below minimum wage too.

Seriously though, the NTU had never been opened before and was only 2 years old so did the Eircom engineer put it in there himself? OOh the plot thickens....

Advertisement