Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manny Ramirez to leave Beantown?

• 28-07-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

So, the big news prior to last night's game between the Bo Sox and Yankees was Manny Ramirez's apparent desire to leave Boston.

In interviews before the game, Ramirez said that "If the Red Sox are a better team without Manny Ramirez, they should trade me; I will not object."

Manny is the final year of his contract, although the Red Sox have options for the following two years at US$20 million a year. The deadline for trades is Thursday at 4p.m. EST.

Personally I'll be surprised to see Boston trade him in mid-season. I imagine that he'll remain with the team for the remainder of the season, and then become a free-agent with mutual agreement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

that is massive news,cant believe he'd consider leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Doesn't really surprise me anymore when news of Manny wanting to leave (it's like an annual ritual at this stage!). He also acknowledged that he doesn't expect the Red Sox to pick up his option next year (not too surprising, seems like they are fed up with his antics at this stage). Don't think they will trade him as it would be hard to get any value and to be honest, he's needed in the lineup. Either way it looks like the beginning of the end of this relationship. Interesting to see if the Sox will offer him Arbitration to get 2 draft picks after the season (he surely will balk at that and seek a multi year deal elsewhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Apparently there's now a three way deal on the books that would see manny go to the marlins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

There is talk of the Marlins. The rumours have been rife since last night, and it appears that Manny wants out ASAP as he's been running his mouth to the press with every opportunity.

"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez said. "During my years here, I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them."

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy," Ramirez added. "I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price, and I don't have peace here."

IMO trading Nomar and Pedro was sharp business by the Red Sox, as their best years were in Boston and they've struggled to reach those heights since they left. That's good business sense. Manny has the right to veto any trade deal, so it's still unlikely that it will happen by 4pm EST today (9pm Irish).

The Marlins have a payroll of US$22 million, which is by far the smallest in MLB, and with Manny expecting US$20 million next year, it's hard to see the stretch. While a trade is not out of the question today, I would be surprised if it went through.

Watch this space.

The latest on this side of the pond is that a deal is looking increasingly likely, with three teams involved in the trade; Red Sox, Marlins, and the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Reports also indicate that the Red Sox have offered to pay the balance of Manny's salary for this season. If the Marlin's do take Manny, it will be just for the rest of this season, i.e. 2 months, as they've no intentions of picking up his option for 2009.

• Advertisement

Manny Traded to the Dodgers apparently in a three way deal with the pirates involved also. Pirates get Moss and Hansen (from sox) and LaRoche and minor leaguer from Dodgers. Sox get Jason Bay.

Have to say i'm happy with this, Bay is a quality player, and hopefully will flourish in Beantown.. Manny wanted out, so thats enough for this Sox fan..

Didn't see the Dodgers entering the picture! As long as Manny waives his no-trade clause, it looks like it's a done deal.

I'm pretty pleased, insofar as Manny obviously wanted out and you don't want someone on your team who doesn't want to be there. He's 36, and has won two rings with the Red Sox while playing some great seasons.

Good luck to him, and roll on postseason 2008! (hopefully ;) )

I'm excited to see what Bay can do in a big league market. He's under contract for 2009 as well at 9 million so that is a big plus. His numbers this year are similar to Manny's and he will play hard. Sox will hope the trade galvanises the team like the Nomar trade in '04.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

I dunno, I'll have to wait and see to be convinced. I think trading Manny is a good thing if he's disrupting the team from playing well, I just hope bay can be clutch for us like Manny was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Right, so begins another 86 years of curse in Boston. Hopefully there's about 5,000 Red Sox jerseys buried in the foundations of the new Yankee stadium and they can not win the WS for another 70 years or some such. Then we can all stop talking about the Yanks and the Sawx!

O's and the Rays to prominence in the AL East for the next half century. :cool:

• Advertisement

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Right, so begins another 86 years of curse in Boston. Hopefully there's about 5,000 Red Sox jerseys buried in the foundations of the new Yankee stadium and they can not win the WS for another 70 years or some such. Then we can all stop talking about the Yanks and the Sawx!

O's and the Rays to prominence in the AL East for the next half century. :cool:

ROFL - bring back Cal Ripken Jr. :D

On an update of the two big names involved in this trade;

Manny went 2-4 (both singles) last night in his debut against the D'backs. He had a big chance for a fairytale debut when he came out at the bottom of the ninth, with a runner on and no outs. He grounded a 2-2 pitch into a double-play, and Arizona held on to win 2-1.

Over in Boston, Jason Bay had a dream start to his Red Sox career, as they held on to bet Oakland A's in 12. Bay scored both of Boston's runs, reached base four times and made two run-saving catches near the left-field line.

He walked twice, was hit by a pitch and struck out twice, before coming up in the bottom of the 12th inning with two outs and none on. He then hit a shell towards the top of the Green Monster, which looked like a walk-off homer, before coming back of the wall as he slid into third. Jed Lowrie then singled and Bay came home for the game-winning run.

Two other big trades saw Ken Griffey Jr. go to the White Sox from the Reds, and he went went 2 for 3 with 2 RBI, a walk, and a run in his debut against the KC Royals, which Chicago won 4-2.

Over in the Bronx, Ivan 'Pudge' Rodriguez made his debut for the Yankees on Thursday, who traded for him after ever-present catcher Jorge Posada was ruled out of the rest of the season. Against the Angels, Rodriguez went 1-3, as the Yankees lost 12-6.

Advertisement