Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I clear a cheque like this

Options
  • 28-07-2008 9:13pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Picking up a cheque tomorrow from solicitor... Around €80k
    Can I go to the brach it was drawn on & ask for a draft for it. Can I then lodge this draft in my account & have instant access to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can, but expect them to be doing some checks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would hope so..
    Driving Licence Passport & Credit card statement so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

The bank manager will be only too happy to lick your arse in fairness. Believe me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TSB have the strangest way of doing business. Cheque was drawn on thier branch on the Howth Road. Went in there with cheque & ID & was given the usual line No you must lodge it & then order a draft from your account. I pointed out the cheque was not crossed & therefore does not have to be lodged to an account. Also pointed out that it was drawn on that branch so there was no need to wait for it to clear.
    Still the line must be lodged.....
    Gave up talking to the wall at this stage & went to see my own bank manager.
    Permanant TSB so much more organised. Gave the manager the cheque, he sent it by courier to the branch I had just left & the courier returned with a bankers payment ( a draft really) which he lodged into my account. Thank god some Banks still listen to their customers..
    Just curious has the TSB the right to refuse to change a cheque in this manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i thought all cheques had to be lodged into your account nowadays, banking policy in Ireland
    I don't understand what the issue was, you wanted it lodged but didn't, why couldn't you have lodged the original cheque?

• Advertisement

I wanted it cleared so I could have instant acces to the funds. I always thought once a cheque was presented at the branch it was drawn on they were oblidged to change it.
    Providing you could be ID 'd ok.
    There is no problem itworked out well for me thanks to my own bank manager, just seemed a courier done the job I could have done.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The reason they asked you to lodge the cheque is because you wanted to get a draft. All drafts have to be taken from a bank account for traceability (sp). It's the same way you can't buy a bank draft with cash. There's gotta be a paper trail :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I always wondered about clearing cheques, most banks take the few days no matter if its the same branch. There has been some interesting stories here where a cheque cleared and the bank came back and took the money when it was reported stolen even though it had previously been cleared.
    Thankfully cheques are on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

can't get a bank draft with cash
    unless they have changed the rule in the last 8 months I have done this twice recently walked in and got a draft for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

tbh, i would never expect a cheque to clear that quickly, only a piece of paper & worthless until actually cleared.

• Advertisement
Advertisement