Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which DSL Provider?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently moved into a house and need some advice on which provider to go for. I previously had Digiweb's Metro service but that's not an option here.

So, which DSL do I go for? I've a few requirements:

- 3MB or above preferably (the local exchange is due to be upgraded to ADSL2 over the weekend of August 9th according to eircom's homepage - I assume any package I go for now will be upgraded after this happens?) as I work in IT and need to be able to remote in to servers occasionally as well as the usual downloading etc. I'm not a big torrent downloader - I leave it to others :)
    - I need free all day local/national calls included
    - More than 20GB cap would be preferred - or will these new packages come with higher caps (presumably?)
    - I don't want to pay a fortune - approx €60 a month max

Much as I hate to say it (especially given the hassle I had even getting a line installed!) but eircom seem to be the best option save for the miserly 20GB cap (have they started enforcing these yet?) plus I'd have the benefit of being upgraded when the exchange is rather than waiting on them to wholesale the uprated speeds to the resellers?

Any advice appreciated.. cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

BT 3mb Broadband & Total Talk? €66.95 30gb cap being upgraded to 7.6mb as soon as the upgrades kick in afaik. Or 2mb Broadband & Total Talk for €55.95 which should go up to 3mb. Just shop around tbh most DSL providers have similar prices & speeds on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

UTV have a no cap option for 5.99 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Don't forget Perlico, Vodafone and NTL. As for BT, have you seen the threads in this forum about them?!?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

barnicles wrote: »
    UTV have a no cap option for 5.99 per month.

Have to also recommend this, price is decent enough, I have 2MB (upgraded to 3MB during weekend), free evening and weekend calls with UTV and line rental for about 53e odd a month with no set cap

Unlimited option seems to be decent enough as I've pulled down between 70-80GB in the past 30 days

Advertisement