Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Cycling Offer-Monday 4th August

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The saddle case looks good value. Will be picking one of them up.

Anyone know what their shirts / pumps are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Somewhat related maybe- the Aldi jerseys are decent but on the large side and back pockets aren't great. "3 back pocket" suggests they will be OK in that regard (my Aldi jersey just has one.) Grand for commuting.

That pump looks pretty good for the price but I'd be worried about the 100psi bit- you might want to go a bit beyond that for a road bike. Maybe worth a go at the price though. I have both a crap track pump and a good one and the good one really is worth the 4x price premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I got a waterproof jacket there a few years ago and it's excellent. I don't know if it's the same as the one they have now but it looks similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Myth wrote: »
    Anyone know what their shirts / pumps are like?

I bought a big pump w/ gauge last year at lidll for 7.99 ... it's a bit s*it ... I used it twice and it wouldn't fit properly on the valve ...

Too bad Liddl aren't doing the Bike tool kit they did a few months back ... I would have got one this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

I bought a big pump w/ gauge last year at lidll for 7.99 ... it's a bit s*it ... I used it twice and it wouldn't fit properly on the valve ...

Too bad Liddl aren't doing the Bike tool kit they did a few months back ... I would have got one this time.

Hi Caroline ... how crappy is the Lidl pump? I was going to get it and keep it at work .. just in case I get a puncture on the commute in .. got a decent one at home ... will it serve its purpose ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Hi Caroline ... how crappy is the Lidl pump? I was going to get it and keep it at work .. just in case I get a puncture on the commute in .. got a decent one at home ... will it serve its purpose ...

Hi! I cycled past you yesterday on my way to the park :) outside the Bell pub :)

The Small liddl Pump you can fit in your back pocket works fine ( I don't think they're selling this one this time around ), however the Big One never worked for me. It could have been a default with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Read this. The Aldi/Lidl ones are terrible (the Lidl one looks exactly the same as the one I got in Aldi, which bent my presta valve I think!). Buy the one I linked to on the website if you want one, it's excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

I have a LIDL pump in work myself in case I get a puncture on the way in. It is a bit **** compared with the specialized pump I have at home but it is ideal for pumping a tyre up to at least 80 psi which makes the cycle home alot easier than trying to use a hand pump. Would definitely recommend it as a spare in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Well I for one will be getting that little strap on puncture repair kit they have. Only new to this cycling business and had a bright idea of heading up the mountains without a repair kit or spare tube and I got a puncture. Lesson learned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Was reading this thread last night and thought "I'll have some of that..."

So after lunch I called into Lidl and started looking around - took me about 5mins to realize that there were none of the offers in sight... and that I was a week early!!!

I did this about a month ago for another offer...

...dope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

:D I bet you bought some other useless junk though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm curious about the 'upright foot pump'. you'd need to be a giant to be able to use that with your foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i've got a zefal track pump (feet broke off)
    got a lidl one couldnt be bothered mail ordering new one, its ok it struggles at 110psi on the road bike but it gets there for the money i cant complain. (had it about a year now)
    just noticed its rated for max of 100 psi no suprise it struggles at 110 then really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

€6.99 for the helmets! I picked up one in Aldi a couple of weeks ago for €9.99..felling ripped off now:D
    cormie wrote: »
    :D I bet you bought some other useless junk though?

Every time I walk into the store.

Cole wrote: »
    €6.99 for the helmets! I picked up one in Aldi a couple of weeks ago for €9.99..felling ripped off now:D

See, I've always thought buying a cheap helmet is a bit of a false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Why?

They all meet the same safety standards, with the expensive ones you are paying for aerodynamics, ventilation, lightness, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

ill head down later on and test drive the helmets! looks like good deals

blorg wrote: »
    They all meet the same safety standards, with the expensive ones you are paying for aerodynamics, ventilation, lightness, etc.

Hrm, fair enough. I would have assumed that they wouldn't have been of the same quality safety-wise, but freely admit that it was more of a 'feeling' rather then having looked into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Hrm, fair enough. I would have assumed that they wouldn't have been of the same quality safety-wise, but freely admit that it was more of a 'feeling' rather then having looked into it.

They would meet the same standards alright but that doesn't mean one doesn't give better protection. If I were to be in a car crash I'd rather be in an Audi than a Daewoo if ya get me

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

They say that if you consider yourself to have a €6.99 head, then buy yourself a €6.99 helmet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They say that if you consider yourself to have a €6.99 head, then buy yourself a €6.99 helmet.:)

You might as well go and get an €800 motorbike helmet then. Last year I bought my 4 year old a Bell hemet and got a shock that it was €50 for a bit of plastic and foam. I don't think it would make and difference over a €5 euro helmet. I only bought it because I didn't know they were cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

In that case where can I get a €1Million helmet ????:D

Eoin D wrote: »
    They would meet the same standards alright but that doesn't mean one doesn't give better protection. If I were to be in a car crash I'd rather be in an Audi than a Daewoo if ya get me
    Well the manufacturers don't shout about it then; for the more expensive helmets their marketing is all about ventilation, weight and aerodynamics.

I have never seen an expensive helmet tout it's superior protection for your head, I'd imagine they would do this, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

Lidl and Aldi products can be a bit hit and miss. Some stuff is fine while some is not worth a curse and taste like muck or fall apart if you as much as look at it. A Lidl helmet might meet the same standards as one made by Giro and maybe they ARE fine but personally with something as important as a helmet I would rather pay a few extra quid for a little bit more piece of mind that the thing has been put together correctly. No guarantees of that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

At €6.99 a pop you could afford to buy a spare one and run head first into a wall to see how good it was :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Pit they're not doing the computers again. Mine came off and went under a bus on the way home :(

Pit they're not doing the computers again. Mine came off and went under a bus on the way home :(
    Better the computer than you I guess :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lidl and Aldi products can be a bit hit and miss. Some stuff is fine while some is not worth a curse and taste like muck or fall apart if you as much as look at it. A Lidl helmet might meet the same standards as one made by Giro and maybe they ARE fine but personally with something as important as a helmet I would rather pay a few extra quid for a little bit more piece of mind that the thing has been put together correctly. No guarantees of that though.

Whats a few extra quid? 50, 100, 150?

Advertisement