Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What a steal

Options
  • 28-07-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Bought a punto this evening for 300 quid, 98 reg with 130k, nct 01/10 and taxed for three months. Brought a mechanic with me !! The car is spotless bar a bit of laquer peeling on the bonnet, timing belt done 10k ago new cd player, elec windows, front fogs etc not a rip or tear inside and to top it all off 4 new tires. The guy was obviously stuck for money but feck me just drove it home and its a1 to say the least. (and no its not stolen lol checked chassis number against vlc and all good ) Just goes to show what bargains can be got out there. Hopin to knock a year or two outta her !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Petal1 wrote: »
    The car is spotless bar a bit of laquer peeling on the bonnet

This could indicate a substandard repaint of the bonnet. Factory lacquer doesn't generally peel. But for the price you can't go too far wrong.

Best of luck with the new motor!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

crosstownk wrote: »
    This could indicate a substandard repaint of the bonnet. Factory lacquer doesn't generally peel. But for the price you can't go too far wrong.

Best of luck with the new motor!

nope, thats a common prob for fiat paint after a few years. i suppose you could look at it as a good thing since if there was any repair jobs its likely the paint would still be alright-ish.,lol
    not a bad price though OP.,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Petal1

it aint that bad to be fair, might have been painted at some stage tbh but nothin major, all the lining is straight etc. Don't imagine there are too many cars 10/11 years old out there that have'nt seen a lick of paint at some stage tho !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

Welcome to the wonderful world of bangereconomics! :D
    Think you did very well, especially with the tax, NCT and timing belt.

Where / how did you hear about it?

skibum wrote: »
    Welcome to the wonderful world of bangereconomics! :D
    Think you did very well, especially with the tax, NCT and timing belt.

Where / how did you hear about it?

a buddy of mine at work new a chap selling it as he needed cash asap. Had been loking for something cheap and cheerful for a while and prob would have avoided a punto at all expenses but not a bad little car tbh. forgot to mention its a 1 owner car with full documented service history too. Ya'd find it hard to get that with a 30 grand motor lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Fair play to you. Hope you get a few good years out of her.

Think we'll find a lot of these little bargains on a more regular basis in the next 12 months as cars etc are getting extremely hard to move on. Bout time too !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Nice one..probably got it so cheap on the basis that most people are gonna see a punto with 130k miles and ignore it straight away!

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Nice one..probably got it so cheap on the basis that most people are gonna see a punto with 130k miles and ignore it straight away!

True, mileage would never bother me so long as the history is ok. I have genuinly never driven a car with this mileage that drives as well as this, a real dream to be fair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sounds like a great deal - you wouldn't get the tyres and a timing belt changed for 300 quid.

Doesn't owe you much at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Thats a pretty good bargain !

A mate of mine bought a 95 Laguna a few months ago for €100 - it had a new CD player, new alloys and tyre's, NCT'd with a small bit of tax on it. Said if he sold the CD player and alloys he'd make his money back. 6 months later he's still driving it ! Some have all the luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Thats a pretty good bargain !

A mate of mine bought a 95 Laguna a few months ago for €100 - it had a new CD player, new alloys and tyre's, NCT'd with a small bit of tax on it. Said if he sold the CD player and alloys he'd make his money back. 6 months later he's still driving it ! Some have all the luck

Wow that makes my 500euro Xantia diesel look expensive, having said that it did come with 6 months tax:D

OP welcome to depretiation free motoring.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cool!
    With the money saved you can fix the electrics.
    Maybe get a proper Fiat engine also!

kbannon wrote: »
    cool!
    With the money saved you can fix the electrics.
    Maybe get a proper Fiat engine also!
    Theoretically the OP can get 40 punto's for the cost of that engine.

Similarly my mate had to spent 495quid on a run flat tyre for his BMW the same week as I bought an entire car for a fiver more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

40puntos < 1 punto with a 308GTB engine though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

kbannon wrote: »
    40puntos < 1 punto with a 308GTB engine though!

cheap cars are great as long as you accept them for what they are, my first car was a daihatsu charade 1L TD. I replaced the engine in it when it went about 5 years ago but instead of going for the 1.3 twin turbo petrol I stuck in another diesel. my theory is that if it aint broke dont fix it. I reckoned that if I spent big money fixing up one element of it, something else would break. That little diesel did a consistant 60mpg.

Slig wrote: »
    cheap cars are great as long as you accept them for what they are, my first car was a daihatsu charade 1L TD. I replaced the engine in it when it went about 5 years ago but instead of going for the 1.3 twin turbo petrol I stuck in another diesel. my theory is that if it aint broke dont fix it. I reckoned that if I spent big money fixing up one element of it, something else would break. That little diesel did a consistant 60mpg.
    I think that you need to accept that any car is going to cost 500-1000quid a year to maintain (depending on mileage) in good roadworthy condition. Once it looks as if its going to cost more than its time to change car.

I already had to put a track control arm into mine, so i'm 120 quid down already:rolleyes:

Advertisement