Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laphroaig

Options
  • 28-07-2008 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

WOW!

This stuff is the bees knees. I was at a wedding in Scotland a couple of years ago, and at each table there was a miniture bottle of this stuff, took it home, but never drank it.

So, I was in The Bull & Castle on Saturday night, and fancied a whiskey, spotted the Laphroaig, and decided to have a whisky instead.

It is absolutely delicious.

I notice on their website that there are a few different ones, but just looking at the bottles, I think it was the ten year one. It was in and around the five euro mark, possibly a bit more, for the shot. I had it with two pieces of ice (if I'm drinking Jemmy, this is how I have it, but I don't think this actually needed the ice, it's as smooth as silk going down)

So. I ask.

What other whiskys/whiskeys would be similar in taste to this.

Was I making a huge blasphemous mistake asking for the ice? :eek::pac:

Is it expensive to buy?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lovely, isn't it?

I'll leave the whisky questions to the experts (though I'd hazard that Connemara whiskey is along these lines), but I'll add that Messrs Maguire Imperial Stout (new batch due soon) tastes a lot like Laphroaig and you can drink it by the pint :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Laphroaig is an Islay whiskey - and one of the peatiest on the island. It is probably the most medicinal of the Islays. The only one peatier would be Ardbeg. And the other really peaty Islay is Lagavulin.

Personally, I think Laphroaig is very good, but Lagavulin is my favourite. Ardbeg is brilliant also.
    Des wrote: »
    WOW!

This stuff is the bees knees. I was at a wedding in Scotland a couple of years ago, and at each table there was a miniture bottle of this stuff, took it home, but never drank it.

So, I was in The Bull & Castle on Saturday night, and fancied a whiskey, spotted the Laphroaig, and decided to have a whisky instead.

It is absolutely delicious.

I notice on their website that there are a few different ones, but just looking at the bottles, I think it was the ten year one. It was in and around the five euro mark, possibly a bit more, for the shot. I had it with two pieces of ice (if I'm drinking Jemmy, this is how I have it, but I don't think this actually needed the ice, it's as smooth as silk going down)

So. I ask.

What other whiskys/whiskeys would be similar in taste to this.

Was I making a huge blasphemous mistake asking for the ice? :eek::pac:

Is it expensive to buy?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I'm not a fan of Scotch whisky at all - good for polishing silver if you ask me :)

If you do like Islay malts I've hear Bruchladdich is a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Laphroaig is the business. We always have a bottle in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Actually, now that you mention it, Bruichladdich is not producing the most-peated of Islay whiskys. They do a whole range, from unpeated to heavily peated, but they've just released PC5 and PC6, which is massively peated.

PC stands for Port Charlotte.

• Advertisement
Advertisement