Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Mushrooms

• 28-07-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

i know absolutely about cooking - so what I want to know is can I bake mushrooms - and perhaps put philadelphia into the middle when baked - is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yep it's possible. Big field mushrooms cook nicely if baked - take the stalk out to make room for some filling.

What I like to do is wipe the mushrooms clean, remove the stalk (and keep it). Then put the mushrooms gills-down on a baking tray and grill them until they start to cook. Then flip them over and take out from under the grill. I'll chop the removed stalks and fry them off in a pan with a little butter, a little finely-chopped onion, some breadcrumbs, perhaps some chopped bacon - put spoonfuls of this mix onto the gill-side of your mushrooms, top with cheese and return to the grill until the cheese melts.

I don't know how well philadelphia melts, but I find grilling mushrooms better than baking, because if you bake them in foil I find they lose a lot of juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I'm trying to keep it healthy, so the frying won't be an option..........but sounds bloody yummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you fry the chopped mushroom stalk with lean bacon, wholemeal breadcrumbs and fresh parsley, using about a teaspoon of olive oil, that's not unhealthy. Frying isn't the root of all evil, especially not if you're just using a small amount of a cholesterol-free oil or one that's high in polyunsaturates...

good stuff - will defo give it a try! Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

cjmcork wrote: »
    i know absolutely about cooking - so what I want to know is can I bake mushrooms - and perhaps put philadelphia into the middle when baked - is this possible?

Yeah that sounds nice actually, just make sure you use big mushrooms (think they might be called field mushrooms but I could be wrong!) and cover the mushrooms so that they don't get dried out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's also nice is to brush the mushrooms with a little olive oil, fill them with crumbled stilton cheese season and wrap with some thinly sliced parma (or similar) ham. Bake them in the oven. Serve with a rocket salad as a starter.

that sounds yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Using the Philadelphia as a base for any flavour is a good idea (esp if you want to make a low fat version) You could go with any kind of flavours - Indian, Thai, Italian or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

cjmcork wrote: »
    I'm trying to keep it healthy, so the frying won't be an option..........but sounds bloody yummy

in my experience, frying with oil isn't really needed with mushrooms if you use a good not stick pan, as within a few seconds the mushrooms release their own juices and will fry in that. nothing nicer than really hot mushrooms fried in their own juice with a little pepper. nothing more. the hotter the better - I find the flavour to be stronger that way.

Advertisement