Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

removing front seats of a 01 mondeo to valet?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Is it viable to remove the front seats of a mondeo?

I was thinking of buying a wet/dry or steam vaccum from argos and doing a valet myself, the car is full of grime, is there any good cleaners I could use?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

be careful with the passenger seat airbag and occupency sensor wiring.

I like Auto Glym Hi foam upholstery cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

my seats are like a massey ferguson circa 1993 model. the footwell is worse.

is there a connector to remove for airbags and whatnot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    be careful with the passenger seat airbag and occupency sensor wiring.

I like Auto Glym Hi foam upholstery cleaner.

Yep - be careful. I don't think there's any absolute need to remove the seat. You should be able to clean it in position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Not sure about the mondeo but some cars will show the airbag light once you remove the seat. You'll have to hook it up to diagnostics to clear the "fault".

remove the battery before disconnecting the seat, and only reconnect once the seat is installed again.

don't get the passenger seat too wet as you may affect the sensor.

I'm all for removing the seat, you can make a great job of the floor when the seats are out of the way. cleaning the seats is easier with the seats in the car though as they don't rock around when you're scrubbing them.

• Advertisement

slightly off topic

whats the difference between wet/dry and steam cleaners in argos??

around 110 notes would get you one, i can spend a good few hours doing the dirty myself, and have a machine to do the house carpets also.

AFAIK the wet/dry hoovers have a water tank for warm/cold water that is either pumped or sucked by the vaccuum on the nozzle, then the dirty water is sucked into the dirty water tank. these are good cos you can use them as a hoover, and you can use it to clean up spills around the house

I don't think a steam cleaner does the same job, or if it would be as effective on a car.

so wet/dry is the way to go then?

105.99 for one in argos...

yup, the ones with a seperate pump for the water spray are great, don't know if Argos do them or if this feature is only on expensive ones? I had one (Hoover Aquamaster) that didn't have a seperate pump, and the clean water and detergent only came from the tank when the nozzle was right against the carpet (hope this makes sense) ones with a seperate pump can spray the warm water and detergent onto the carpet/seats,without sucking it straight off. You can then scrub with a brush, then vaccuum off the dirty water

i can get one and see how it goes, they got another 3-1 vax job for 210e. 4 litres wet/ 8 litres of muck capacity.

might be worth the extra cash

• Advertisement

what's the model number for the Vax?
    rf01nnew.jpg
    the 6131 by any chance, ooh it has pumped water delivery, and it'll double as a tough vacuum or around the house/garage - definately buy one!

so you think that would do a good job then. 200notes.. !

€200 doesn't seem too outragous from a shop, they seem to generally retail for around £149GBP

Here's some reviews
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/VAX_6131__Review_5747998

http://www.reevoo.com/reviews/mpn/vax/6131

http://catalog.ebay.co.uk/Vax-6131-Bagged-Canister-Vacuum_W0QQ_fclsZ1QQ_pidZ57351057QQ_tabZ3

For the money, I reckon it's a good buy, it's obviously not a professional carpet cleaner, but would be a brilliant vaccuum cleaner that will double as an above-average carpet cleaner.

Here's one (prob refurbished, but guarunteed) on ebay for £89.99 (around €115) including delivery
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Vax-6131-Multifunction-Hoover-Carpet-Cleaner-System_W0QQitemZ250276059418QQihZ015QQcategoryZ43526QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have to see tomorrow, it might be too bulky.

sorry to turn this into a cleaning thread but would a steam cleaner on its own suffice? I have no idea what a steam cleaner is as i never used one, i just know the valet guys use stuff like it. lol

TBH, the only time I ever see anyone actually using steam cleaners is on the shopping channels. anyone I know that bought them use them to keep their excercise bike and coffee machine company in the attic.

my coffee machine gets daily usage ....:eek:

must see tomorrow what i can do with the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Mondeo also has an electrically adjustable driver's seat so this might complicate things even more if trying to remove the seat.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Mondeo also has an electrically adjustable driver's seat so this might complicate things even more if trying to remove the seat.

Can't see why, should only be one plug.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This car must have been mega manky when op bought it. Pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

colm is right....my Mam has a steam cleaner and I've tried to use it before on the seats but it actually makes them look worse. Now I use Autogylm Interior Shampoo with a damp cloth and it brings them up like new.

• Advertisement
Advertisement