Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting Full License - same day?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

My wife passed her first driving test today, exactly 6 months after her learner permit was issued. They had tried to schedule her earlier thanks to some <SNIP> at SGS, but we contacted them and they realised the error and rescheduled her - phew!

Anyway, here's the meat of the query: we know any Motor Tax Office can issue her full driving license, but is this a while-you-wait service? Or does everyone have to wait for the postman to deliver the magic laminated three-fold? I mean, if the GNIB can issue a Residence (smart-)Card within minutes of applying, why should a low-tech document like the driving license take more to make on-site at the Motor Tax Office???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

GF passed hers today, went to local tax office and was told she would get it in the post in 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SakisP wrote: »
    Anyway, here's the meat of the query: we know any Motor Tax Office can issue her full driving license, but is this a while-you-wait service? Or does everyone have to wait for the postman
    It seems to depend on the MTO. Most insist on posting it for security reasons but some, such as in Cork, will do it while you wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Depends on the motor tax office really, i've heard of people getting their license on the spot, but generally you're talking about 3 working days..ish. Either way after you apply you should be okay with your receipt from the motor tax office, this will enable your wife to drive unaccompanied, but not on a motorway/abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SakisP

Thanks for the super-quick answers, guys!

She will be probably going to either Clondalkin (close to her work) or Nutgrove (if they are known to do it while-you-wait and Clondalkin isn't) - and she will have her passport with her to shoot down any "security" worries.

Any feedback, please?

SakisP wrote: »
    and she will have her passport with her to shoot down any "security" worries
    They claim that they post the licences to increase the liklihood that applicants will give their proper address. A passport doesn't have an address and is therefore not relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SakisP

They claim that they post the licences to increase the liklihood that applicants will give their proper address. A passport doesn't have an address and is therefore not relevant.

Well, she's given the same address for:
    - her car logbook
    - her learner permit
    - her driving test
    - and her competency cert

...how much more proper can it become??? :rolleyes:

At least we now know that a while-you-wait service is technically possible...

I don't really understand it either. It's not as if you could avoid penalty points etc. as they are sent to the address of the registered owner of the vehicle which may be different from the licence address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

I never understood this myself, I know some people who got their license on the spot here in Kilkenny, They where just told to wait a minute and their license was brought out to them and they left with it. Wouldn't it be a much better system if this was the case for everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Clondalkin won't do it on the spot anyway, that's where I got mine and they insisted on posting it, took a week to get it.+

Clondalkin won't do it on the spot anyway, that's where I got mine and they insisted on posting it, took a week to get it.+
    Queen Street MTO (formerly River House) insist on posting also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Clondalkin were next day delivery for me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Slightly on topic question but where does it say you have to have the learner permit for 6 months or over before you can do a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

From the RSA
    To undergo a Driving Test, you must hold
    a Learner Permit covering the category in
    which you wish to be tested. You must
    hold a Learner Permit for a minimum of 6
    months before taking your driving test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Boo, new legislation :(

28/09/2008 it is so!

From the RSA
    To undergo a Driving Test, you must hold
    a Learner Permit covering the category in
    which you wish to be tested. You must
    hold a Learner Permit for a minimum of 6
    months before taking your driving test
    .....just to add that the 6 month rule only applies to 1st Learner Permits issued in categories A, A1, B, B+E, M and W.

Advertisement