Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company name

Options
  • 28-07-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Apologies if this topic has been covered... and I think I may know the answer but I'm just seeking clarification on something.
    My wife and I are in the very early stages of setting up a business. Ultimately we will probably register it as a limited company. So one of the first things we had to do was think of a name which we have done - but the problem is after a quick Google I've discovered there are companies with the same name in the UK and the US. At the start most of our business will be in Ireland but there's a good possibility we may generate some business in the future in the UK.
    So... I'm presuming that as long as the registered name of the company is different and unique then we are OK. So for example say the company is called Creative Promotions - and there are already companies in the UK and US called Creative Promotions. Am I right in thinking we can still call the company Creative Promotions as long as the registered name is something like Creative Promotions Ireland Ltd? Or even something totally different like Big Hill Ltd., trading as Creative Promotions?
    Sorry if this is a tad confusing... any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Not sure about the legal issues around this but a friend recently went through a total re-branding exercise before he went "multi-national". It caused him a lot of pain and took time he didn't have. He regretted not getting it right upfront several years earlier - and that included getting a company name that had relevant web domains available in all countries he was going to operate in ............ e.g. www.creativepromotions.ie .... .com ... .co.uk .... .it ... etc.

My advice is to put the work and planning in upfront - Right First Time! I'm in a similar position and it's hard work I feel I don't have time for right now - then I think about Jim (I've changed his name to protect his identity!!:D:pac::pac:) and I get on with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trump

daveboy01 wrote: »
    Apologies if this topic has been covered... and I think I may know the answer but I'm just seeking clarification on something.
    My wife and I are in the very early stages of setting up a business. Ultimately we will probably register it as a limited company. So one of the first things we had to do was think of a name which we have done - but the problem is after a quick Google I've discovered there are companies with the same name in the UK and the US. At the start most of our business will be in Ireland but there's a good possibility we may generate some business in the future in the UK.
    So... I'm presuming that as long as the registered name of the company is different and unique then we are OK. So for example say the company is called Creative Promotions - and there are already companies in the UK and US called Creative Promotions. Am I right in thinking we can still call the company Creative Promotions as long as the registered name is something like Creative Promotions Ireland Ltd? Or even something totally different like Big Hill Ltd., trading as Creative Promotions?
    Sorry if this is a tad confusing... any help would be appreciated

If the name is available in ireland and nobody has set up a limited company with that name you are certainly well within your rights to register your name,set up the company, and trade as that name in ireland.

Though, if you are looking to expand into uk and us and the name is taken, you may find yourself in trouble as the domain names will also be taken. Plus the companies in those countries might not like you moving into their country and using their name. Put yourself in their shoes.Also has the name been trademarked ..? as if you do pop your head up in international waters you may be forced to change your name.Check that out too.

I would think of a different name or maybe change your original name around eg creative promotions to creative concepts,that type of thing.

If your intending to build a brand, it can work out vey expensive too, so it is worth checking all domain names ,trademarks, etc in the proposed countries you plan on entering.You dont want all that hard work going to waste..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

Thanks for the replies... that's really good feedback. Regarding domain names the .co.uk and .com are already taken but .ie is not yet. I reckon our best plan might be to come up with a different name - it's tricky though:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Forsaken1

daveboy01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies... that's really good feedback. Regarding domain names the .co.uk and .com are already taken but .ie is not yet. I reckon our best plan might be to come up with a different name - it's tricky though:confused:

You can have a different parent name to your domain provided you register the business name at least for the .ie domain site.

Ie. You could be Imaginate Ltd as your company (ltd) name and register Creative Promotions as business name then register creativepromotions.ie

Psssssssss. I do dweeb development and sestyms if you are not interested...

GS: Last warning to you Forsaken1 regarding the pimping of services.

Advertisement