Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations from the PRO's :)

Options
  • 28-07-2008 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey Guys, :)

I am a long time computer user / (addict ;) ) but I have only dabbled in programming once or twice and never stuck at it ...

At the moment I am working on our company website in Joomla. I've spent the last few days playing around with it and I am finding it very interesting and cool to use

I now want to learn more as I only have basic HTML skills ...

Can anyone out there recommend where I should start ?

I want to learn possibly HTML, Javascript, and maybe moving onto PHP, MySQL ...

Do you recommend any particular books that I should buy ?

I am not a NOOB to this but just havent learnt any language properly which I would like to do as I am enjoying it :)

I think if you enjoy your work, then you will never have to work a day in your life!!! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

cop41 wrote: »
    I think if you enjoy your work, then you will never have to work a day in your life!!! ;)

It won't be work .. you'll just be doing it at night as well :P

Anyways more seriously I'd have said to throw this into the web design / development forum on here.

Things to learn
    HTML / CSS (too many places to start ... lynda.com has nice video tutorials on everything so if you're serious ... I'd think its a place to start you can spend 20 - 30 quid or something like that dollars a month I think learning from their resources)

Personally as I've stated many a time on many forums ... I'm not a fan of joomla ... but yes ... its php / mysql

If you're planning on getting into programming I'd probably recommend you start with a framework ... hopefully doing this would mean you don't fall into the trap of a LOT of programmers doing hacks left right and center (god knows I've been guilty of it)

If you're only learning HTML ... I'm not sure ultimately how much of a kick you can get out of design but you should probably check out the likes of oswd.org or similar for some nice little templates ... normally they are quite well put together and tested against various browsers and work fine.

Apart from that hmm... start small ... give yourself a personal project (personally I'd recommend something along the lines of installing wordpress ... hacking the template ... and then maybe fiddling with a module to get it to do what you want)

Really though at the end of the day it depends on where you see yourself going and where you want to go.

Advertisement