Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options
  • 28-07-2008 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Hello All. I and a few others have been busily updating a few different threads on the progress of the M8.

I've posted pictures of the Cashel to Cullahill, Cashel to Mitchelstown, and Mitchelstown to Fermoy Schemes.

Information has been scant, however, regarding the last component of this route. Madman that I am, I'm considering making a joirney up to Rathdowney in September to see how the final scheme is coming along: the M7/M8 interchange.

I'd much prefer it if someone living in the vicinity would do it instead though! Surely someone on this forum has information about the scheme and how it's progressing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

Furet, I totally agree, I would love to hear more about this section of road too... and you've been very good with your photos so far.

Hopefully somebody will have some feedback though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

hehe yeah the trouble is this is MILES offline and noone from boards seems to be in the area :D Same with most of the N9! Would love to see what this ones up to tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

came through the route from Borris to Abbeyleix yesterday...you come across the M7 and M8 in quick sucession so must be quite close to the junction....early days on bothe schems I would say....still earth moving byt he looks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

corktina wrote: »
    came through the route from Borris to Abbeyleix yesterday...you come across the M7 and M8 in quick sucession so must be quite close to the junction....early days on bothe schems I would say....still earth moving byt he looks...

That's what everyone is saying. I know that where is fuses with the northern extent of Cashel to Cullahill, they're basically just moving earth.

It's strange, because they've been at it know for almost 14 months. The Fermoy to Mitchelstown scheme is only 7 months old, yet spectacularly far advanced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Furet wrote: »
    I can see my house from here!

Well, actually, not quite; but I can see part of my farm.

I live close to where the scheme crosses the N-7, so I'll try to get some photos sometime soon.

Things have gone quite here lately; there was a flurry of activity building the embankments and foundations where the N-7 is going to be re-aligned over the M-7, but everyone seems to have fecked off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wonder why they can't implement barrier free tolling like on the M50 instead of having that awkward toll plaza there. It'll be a busy enough section when it opens, what with having to carry traffic from both the M7 and the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Stark wrote: »
    I wonder why they can't implement barrier free tolling like on the M50 instead of having that awkward toll plaza there. It'll be a busy enough section when it opens, what with having to carry traffic from both the M7 and the M8.

good point! especailly if u travel the whole cork road u will have to pay toll twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Stark wrote: »
    The plaza has been part of the plan since the scheme first got put on the drawing board, and that image hasn't changed since the first documentation I received back in late 2003.
    Tolling technology/policy has moved along quite a bit since then and I don't know what the final plan is going to be, but the contractors are doing the groundwork over a very big area in that location, and it certainly looks like the layout of a full sized toll plaza along the lines of what's currently on the M-50.
    ipodrocker wrote: »
    good point! especailly if u travel the whole cork road u will have to pay toll twice!
    Anyone driving from Cork to Belfast will be paying 4 tolls.

Rovi wrote: »
    I can see my house from here!

Well, actually, not quite; but I can see part of my farm.

I live close to where the scheme crosses the N-7, so I'll try to get some photos sometime soon.

Things have gone quite here lately; there was a flurry of activity building the embankments and foundations where the N-7 is going to be re-aligned over the M-7, but everyone seems to have fecked off now.

Excellent Rovi! Just snap a few on your mobile. I think a lot of the builders are taking their August holidays, hence the quietness. What's the word on the ground up there with regard to the project being completed ahead of schedule? Last I heard was mid-2010 -- a few months ahead of the official deadline of winter of that year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭What Vision?

Can't believe that there is a river passing under the toll plaza area, it will be "dark water" for a really long section, How did this get by the OPW or the Dehlg or who ever it is. It will be a very long "dead section" of river

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Colour plate showing what the interchange will look like:

http://www.m7m8scheme.ie/eis/pdfs/EIS_M7M8_Volume6_Fig1-10.pdf
    Interesting. From that pic, traffic heading M7 east can exit before the toll plaza without paying a toll.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Interesting. From that pic, traffic heading M7 east can exit before the toll plaza without paying a toll.

It does look like that. But M8 traffic will have to pay. How come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its an attempt to keep Dubs out of Cork...divert them all to Limerick....

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

There is a junction on the M8 aswell not too far before the toll. I presume that there will be toll gantrys on these interchanges like on other toll motorways.

I notice that Exit 2 will be for what's called "Local Access". What exactly does this mean? Will anyone be able to use Exit 2, or just people local to the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I notice that Exit 2 will be for what's called "Local Access". What exactly does this mean? Will anyone be able to use Exit 2, or just people local to the area?

It's basically a type of junction that allows certain traffic to enter and exit the motorway, ensuring that everybody pays the toll. If Exit 2 was full access, you'd be able to avoid being tolled. In this example traffic will only be allowed to ENTER the northbound carriageway and EXIT on the southbound carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Lots of earth moved in the area and foundations going in for over bridge south of Cullohill.

Rovi wrote: »
    The plaza has been part of the plan since the scheme first got put on the drawing board, and that image hasn't changed since the first documentation I received back in late 2003.
    Tolling technology/policy has moved along quite a bit since then and I don't know what the final plan is going to be, but the contractors are doing the groundwork over a very big area in that location, and it certainly looks like the layout of a full sized toll plaza along the lines of what's currently on the M-50.

Anyone driving from Cork to Belfast will be paying 4 tolls.

I was in Salou recently and went from there to Barcelona, approx 50-60 miles and there were 5 tolls. Glad that it won't be that bad here!

Danno wrote: »
    Lots of earth moved in the area and foundations going in for over bridge south of Cullohill.

I noticed that alright. Must say, progress appears to be very slow on this scheme. Considering it started fully 6 months before the Mitchelstown Fermoy Scheme, the contractor seems to have done very little. Which is ironic, because this scheme is the great tolled PPP, after all. :mad:

• Advertisement

From what I have heard locally that the contractor who is on the Urlingford Cashel route is sending in the gang when that is finished... could see some impressive gains then if it be true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RubberMammy

You have to pay because road tax is being spent on Berties pension payments.

Go back to bed Ireland.....the Gubberment has figured it all out.

And pay your TV license fee or we'll arrest you.........PS please tune in and watch the midweek movie, which is scheduled right in between the main evening news with 85 mins of advertising:p.

This newsletter is from last March, but it's still the most recent official published document about the scheme. It's quite interesting. Apparently, badger paths have been incorporated under the road {Furet is impressed}!

Anyway, see here: http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/ContractorsNewsletters/file,14420,en.pdf

It doesn't tell you an amazing amount but thanks altogether for finding this...

The boards.ie poster clon has found the little publicised third contractor's newsletter for this scheme, viewable here: http://www.crg.ie/M7M8_Newsletter.pdf -- and it's absolutely useless.

A fourth newsletter is due to be released in November, but I won't hold my breath waiting for either its timely arrival or its value as an organ of actual news (i.e. progress) on this hugely important scheme.

We know next to nothing about this project. I tried to take photos, but all I could see on the one occassion I was up in Laois was a giant crater in the ground where the interchange will eventually be sited. Very few overbridges seem to be open. I might be wrong there, but no one's contradicted me so far. This seems to be the black sheep of the M8 upgrade schemes. It's proceeding at a snail's pace compared with all the others -- remarkable considering it's a PPP and, as such, will be tolled.

So once more, an appeal: if you live near the construction site, will you please give us as many updates as you can. Photos would be great too. Thanks.

The boards.ie poster clon has found the little publicised third contractor's newsletter for this scheme, viewable here: http://www.crg.ie/M7M8_Newsletter.pdf -- and it's absolutely useless.

No wonder...

I'd be embarassed to have anybody read that uninformative piece of drivel. My full thoughts on it are in the M8 thread on the infrastructure forum anyway...

Nothing much, but proof at least that the road may possibly be going somewhere. They've moved it forward to Q3 2010 it seems. Not much (only one quarter), but a good omen none-the-less...

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/news/story.asp?ID=1442

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I passed the by the new overbridge at the N7 that will take the Mountrath road over the M7, it does seems to be going at a really slow pace aswell.

The earth works at Moneygall, on the Castletown scheme only started a few months ago, and there are fairly already nearing to set the bridge placments in etc,and the earthworks there is massive in comparison to the narrow two lane bridge going up over the new M7 near Portlaoise. The Moneygall bridge is an interchange bear in mind.

The Castletown seems to be racing along at Moneygall. Will any of the N8 contractors be moving to the M7 works aswell to speed up there?

t does look like we will have The M7/M8 Portlaoise - Castletown scheme been the final leg to open between Btween Dublin - Limerick/Cork route.

Therefore in mid to late 2010 we will see a complete M7/M8 completed the same time. Seems like a double celebration planned for the fianna fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

mysterious wrote: »
    The Castletown seems to be racing along at Moneygall.

and
    mysterious wrote: »
    Therefore in mid to late 2010 we will see a complete M7/M8 completed the same time. Seems like a double celebration planned for the fianna fail.

Just in time for Barack Obama's visit. Another reason to celebrate! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Furet
    the nra website has now been updated with another news leter from the M&/M8 scheme

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/ContractorsNewsletters/file,15866,en.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement