Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    All those vituperative arguments are completely futile .

The road will be opened in time for the Galway Races , like I said .

Save your vitriol for the 23rd of July 2010 or forever hold your tractors ....m'kay !??!
    I'm saving mine for February 2010 which is when the road is opening - mkay.

Whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Roryhy wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous statement!

Can you give an example of one journey that would benefit when traveling to the Galway Races when this route opens?
    Going from west Wicklow or Carlow to Galway.

Carlow - Portlaoise- Roscrea - Birr- Portumna - Loughrea - Galway is the way, so Portlaoise to Roscrea would be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Well i suppose you could go that way but you'd pay a toll for just using a few kilometres of motorway. I'm a Carlow man and if i was heading to Galway i'd go- Portlaoise-Tullamore-M6 all the way and still only 1 toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

Roryhy wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous statement!

Can you give an example of one journey that would benefit when traveling to the Galway Races when this route opens?

Dont get me wrong, i'll be delighted when it's open but it has no bearing on anyone travelling from anywhere to Galway.

Apologies I had been reading a number of threads and mistakenly thought the comment referred to Gort Crusheen which was mentioned earlier in the thread. Totally agree that impact to Galway races crowd will be minimal and apologies for taking discussion off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Love to know how these schemes are coming along?
    Progress seems to have been very slow; part of the M8 going through my relations farm and that seems like ages and ages ago since that started :(

Any time frames for opening etc??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

14 September 2010 is the date I've been given.

Furet wrote: »
    14 September 2010 is the date I've been given.

Seems shocking slow..particulary compared to all the other M8 schemes. Pretty disappointing. Another year of Abbeyleix :(:(

Well, like I said upthread, I'm dying to see pictures of the M7 leg north of the motorway-motorway interchange. That was by far the least advanced stage last spring. Perhaps Rovi or Tech2 could oblige at some point? I believe the road could be finished sooner than September, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Work was ongoing on the final overpass near the LS KK border today. Why was only one side of the overpass - viewable from the N8 kerbed and not the otherside??? Also, why are the crew working on a private enterance opposite the overpass?

Danno wrote: »
    Work was ongoing on the final overpass near the LS KK border today. Why was only one side of the overpass - viewable from the N8 kerbed and not the otherside??? Also, why are the crew working on a private enterance opposite the overpass?

I walked that bridge a few weeks ago. I think one side will be for cattle.

• Advertisement

I seriously doubt it - it is to replace the existing road that goes down to Oldtown Engineering.

On the LHS of the N8 Southbound before the Motorway Roundabout they are working on a private enterance! Why is that?

I seriously doubt it - it is to replace the existing road that goes down to Oldtown Engineering.

On the LHS of the N8 Southbound before the Motorway Roundabout they are working on a private enterance! Why is that?

Well, as you said, the overbridge seems to be divided down the middle. I have seen a similar bridge construction on the M8 between junction 9 and 10, over Rockwell College land. In that case the overbridge indeed replaced a road, but the landowners got the designers to modify the bridge to incorporate a cattle only aspect to it; so now it takes livestock on one side and vehicles on the other. The Cullahill overbridge reminds me of the Rockwell overbridge - but I could well be wrong. We should know very soon in any case. Has the bridge opened to traffic yet?

Will be driving down that way again tomorrow (Friday). Will take a closer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I did a quick "shortcut" over the bank holiday weekend south of Mouthrath to avoid the traffic. This section of Motorway does appear to be coming along nicely, passed over the new M7 twice. Although not all the overpass bridges are complete, although very close to it.

So, anyone willing to do a detailed survey of this scheme's progress? I'm guessing that many of the M8 overbridges are finished by now, and that most of the surfacing + concrete barrier is down from the C-C tie-in right up to the M7 interchange.

I'd like to see pictures of:

1) The Cullahill tie-in
    2) The M8 along various segments (including junction 3)
    3) The M7/M8 interchange
    4) The M7 along various sections, including the C-N tie-in
    5) The toll plaza
    6) The Portlaoise Bypass tie-in

Anyone in the area willing to head up there soon?

Might do another photo shoot of the M8 leg soon, although not much has changed since my last venture.

There is a lot of work done around Grantstown - Manor Stone area between Ballacolla and Rathdowney on the R433 route. This is to incorporate the exit 2 or 3? from the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

4) The M7 along various sections, including the C-N tie-in

Looking east J21 (near Borris in Ossory) at the weekend

Image0054.jpg

Photos from the M8 nr Cullohill

Pictures 202 and 203 are from Canonswood Crossroads, half way between Cullohill and Ballacolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Is all of this route going to open together, or will the M7 leg (borris to portlaoise) open first followed by (cullahill to portlaoise)?
    or vice versa?

or is this all still up in the air and to be decided next year?

thanks.

• Advertisement

Will all open at once I'm sure.

Pictures 202 and 203 are from Canonswood Crossroads, half way between Cullohill and Ballacolla.

Reminds of the M9 that BAM/AScon are still doing...finished sections and then chunks hardly touched. They are part of the consortium doing this aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Yes, BAM are doing the M7/M8 with Dragados, as part of the Celtic Roads Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Just looked at the AA RoadWatch site and it says the following:

"Laois - Works and lane closures are in place at the end of the M7/Portlaoise Bypass westbound at Clonkeen until approx Feb 2010 - Updated: 04/11/2009 22:46:32"

Is this a sign that the Motorway might open in Spring 2010? Anyone here anything about expected opening time for this section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

lukejr wrote: »
    Just looked at the AA RoadWatch site and it says the following:

"Laois - Works and lane closures are in place at the end of the M7/Portlaoise Bypass westbound at Clonkeen until approx Feb 2010 - Updated: 04/11/2009 22:46:32"

Is this a sign that the Motorway might open in Spring 2010? Anyone here anything about expected opening time for this section.
    I suspect it's the creation and opening of the 'new' junction at what's currently the western end of the exiting M7.
    The existing underpass and roundabouts for local Mountrath/Portlaoise traffic is being converted into a full-access junction for the M7 and this is being slated for opening very early next year, at which point all Dublin/Limerick traffic will be diverted onto it, in order to facilitate them tying the existing M7 into the new M7/M8 project.

I have recently heard rumours that spring 10 could be the opening date.

IF (and it's a very big if) spring is the opening date, then we're look at the tail end of April. Me, I think anywhere between June and August.

I have recently heard rumours that spring 10 could be the opening date.
    That's only 4-5 months time; I'd love to see it come to pass, but there certainly appears to be a lot of work still to do at the Portlaoise end, so I can't really see it happening.

I'll be delighted if I'm wrong though. :D

Any chance of a few interchange and M7 pics, Rovi?

• Advertisement

Any chance of a few interchange and M7 pics, Rovi?
    I'll see what I can do; I need to get a weekend day (when I'm available/around) to coincide with an absence of pi55ing rain, so no guarantees on when it might happen. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement