Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

There is a big layer of tar (or whatever one calls it) now btween Knock and Roscrea west bound.

regarding my previous posts on the N62 junction...... i realise now that they cant put in the sliproads because they exisitng N62 is in the way, am i right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

tech2 wrote: »
    Also a target date has been scrapped for the Birdhill-Limerick stretch.

two engineers on the Limerick train last week were overheard saying they hadnt a clue what to do aboout the bottomless bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

see over on the m7 thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65525192&postcount=185

i've emailed the nra and asked will this scheme portlaoise-cullahill-castletown open in 1 or 2 sections.

still awaiting an answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

tech2 wrote: »
    Yup I know it was opened, I went up that way and took a few pics of the new stretch after you posted on the M7 thread that it had opened last year. There was a railway bridge along that stretch also I passed.

What I originally meant was that it only takes 1-2km to get back onto the current N7 so I dont see any reason why the M7 section should not open the same time as the M8 section. Sorry have to say this but the M7 is getting badly shafted, nearly every other MUI is completed and yet very little has been opened from Limerick-Portlasoise :( Also a target date has been scrapped for the Birdhill-Limerick stretch.

The M8 leg opening was a rumour and not confirmed. I don't understand why they would open the M8 leg first anyway when the M8 has to join the M7. The M7 from Aghaboe to Portlaois (M7/M8) is no where near finshed to allow an M8 opening by May June.

The fact that you mentioned the N7 to M7 link was finished last year, there is no reason why they cannot open the M7 the same time as the M8.

I also agree with the constant squandering of this scheme over and over. it's never the end of it. The M7 should of been one of the first to finished back in 2009. All schemes were delayed before they started.

Nenagh to Limerick was meant to start in 2002. 2004 originally. Got delayed, NRA outlined funding in 2005. Still didn't get off. Martin Cullen as minister completely ignored the M7, and concentrated on on the other MIUs. He was constantly made aware to get a contractor for the Nenagh to Limerick scheme. Every scheme was pushed ahead of it. The same faith was given to the N-C scheme. Then sure enough both schemes were the last to start. The N - L scheme is a conspiracy to me. I just don't understand why they couldn't of sorted this problem out in the first place with the bogs. They knew how deep it was when they were building it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

mysterious wrote: »
    The M7 from Aghaboe to Portlaois (M7/M8) is no where near finshed to allow an M8 opening by May June.

Yes it is. Lots of pictures to prove it, too.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    Yes it is. Lots of pictures to prove it, too.

I passed it on Tuesday I don't see it opening in June and deffo not May.
    The official date is September and already stated it's not opening in June. The May date is some sort of pipe dream imo. There is only just over a week in half till May.

The section near Mountrath to Portlaoise has a lot more work to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Martin Cullen as minister completely ignored the M7, and concentrated on on the other MIUs. Every scheme was pushed ahead of it.

Restate that utterly untrue statement on the MIU's and Nenagh Limerick, ideally by editing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The May date is some sort of pipe dream imo.

Have a look at these pictures: post 748

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The M7 from Aghaboe to Portlaois (M7/M8) is no where near finshed to allow an M8 opening by May June.

Mysterious, I live in the area and can make it clear here that your statement is totally wrong.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Mysterious, I live in the area and can make it clear here that your statement is totally wrong.:confused:

Yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Couple more taken on way home this evening. These are on M7 from three bridges west of split with M8. I also show some more of the split showing gantrys etc. Lot of work going on here this week.

p1020302n.jpg

m8join.jpg
    M8 joining up with M7.

m7splite2f.jpg
    m7splite1.jpg
    On M7/M8 facing East after join.

m7m8splitw2.jpg
    m7m8splitw4.jpg
    m7m8splitw3.jpg
    M7/M8 Split.

m7split1eb.jpg
    m7split1w.jpg
    On M7 1st Bridge West of Split facing east & west.

m7split2e.jpg
    m7split2w.jpg
    On M7 2nd Bridge West of Split facing east & west.

m7split3ev.jpg
    m7split3w.jpg
    On M7 3rd Bridge West of Split facing east & west.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Wow, really does look almost ready to go. What is the least advanced section?

And I like that really long overbridge far too much :D

Hey Mysterious,

that roads no where near ready..............lol

I'm only judging from the Portlaoise to the Toll bridge section. Which is the section that I seen last week. It wasn't studded or lined. I also thought it wasn't on it's last course, so I've been mistaken. The Portaoise interchange has a lot more work to do though. I don't mind been wrong at all, I honestly thought it would be till after Jun for the whole section to be finished.

The M7 leg finished as well? Seems that both legs are all lined and studded is it not?

There is a complete lack of tress on the embankements. Why is this not mandortory. The motorway itself looks good but very bear too look at either side.

Tree planting a thing of the past?

The N-L section has some tree planting done which I seen today.

There is a complete lack of tress on the embankements.

In the bottom photo in that M7 mainline set posted today I can CLEARLY see TREES so that is Another one of your downright wrong assertions. Some of the Split part of the set were SHOT through TREES .

Edit your last post and Edit the one you made earlier today in this thread and remove the manifest untruths in them please.

It wasn't studded or lined. I also thought it wasn't on it's last course, so I've been mistaken.

From post 770 yesterday, you can see that the southbound overtaking lane wasn't on it's last course.
    Noticed this evening that this has been done. It's amazing how much work can be done in such a short time.
    Hope to get near the tie in over next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Any takers for the M8 to be opened by the May BH?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There is a complete lack of tress on the embankements. Why is this not mandortory. The motorway itself looks good but very bear too look at either side.

Tree planting a thing of the past?

The N-L section has some tree planting done which I seen today.

The planting is pretty much complete... down here the winter has been so hard that hardly any of the beech/whitethorn whips (which seem to be the plant of choice) have budded. They are almost camaflagoued against the embankements.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    In the bottom photo in that M7 mainline set posted today I can CLEARLY see TREES so that is Another one of your downright wrong assertions. Some of the Split part of the set were SHOT through TREES .

Edit your last post and Edit the one you made earlier today in this thread and remove the manifest untruths in them please.
    :rolleyes:

I'm entitled to say whatever I want. I'm not worried about been wrong or if people dissagree with me. I just see there is not as much tree planting on motorway embankements like they used to be. It's a lot more sparely planted also. look at the Newbridge bypass, Maynooth bypass, N52/N7 Nenagh bypass and many old motorway is full of trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

@Spongebob, no offence mate but it's fairly bloody obvious that mysterious meant there was a clear and present lack of planting along the embankments. Anyone can see that.

Have to agree that it would look much nicer to have trees along these motorways as well. Also there's environmental benefits - whole ecosystems etc can develop in even a small area of trees, plus they filter oput noise from the surrounding houses (albeit sparse population along the new stretches).

I just see there is not as much tree planting on motorway embankements like they used to be.

You said there was NO tree planting which is plain wrong, now edit your posts like I told you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You said there was NO tree planting which is plain wrong, now edit your posts like I told you.

LMAO are you drunk? Who do you think you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Mod Note:

SpongeBob has been banned for a few days for constant baiting. Both of you have been warned before to cut out the nonsense. If anyone sees posts like these again breaching the forum charter please report the post instead of replying to them, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scottyccfc

I was just thinking who was this fool telling people what to do,
    So back to the point, any chance any part will be open for the May B/H weekend???

No, not next weekend.

I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time. Just recently started posting and sending in pics. When I saw all this stuff being thrown about, thought I'd stumbled into a school yard.

Anyway, back to question as to whether it will be opened for May B/H weekend.........I'd very much doubt it. The tie in at Portlaoise is really only being seriously worked on for past few weeks since the new junction has been created. This is removing traffic from old road, sllowing work to be done on tie in. Definitely couldn't see it being done in 7 days.
    Piccies later ........if the kids stop fighting......:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TC cork

Travel that road regularly...can't wait for final link up...no more 40 minute delays in Abbeyleix:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Is the general consensus that they will wait for a b/h weekend to open it? Are we looking at the June b/h weekend, or will it be this side of that date?hopefully :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement