Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Danno wrote: »
    Correct me here if I'm wrong...

If there was need to widen the M7 to three lanes from Portlaoise to Naas, it could be done by removing the grass median and laying a concrete barrier. The space the grass occupies is enough for lane 3 when tarred over...

If this is the case, then why the hell was the final piece of the M7 between the M7/M8 Merge built with the same grass median? This would allow the prospect of a three lane M7 from Dublin to the M7/M8 merge.

Agreed, I've been thinking this since the start and it does seem like a wasted opportunity. If it needs to be widened at any time every bridge will have to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Lads, can we cut out the bitchiness in this thread, concentrate on the discussion about the M7/M8 - not some point-scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Correct me here if I'm wrong...

If there was need to widen the M7 to three lanes from Portlaoise to Naas, it could be done by removing the grass median and laying a concrete barrier. The space the grass occupies is enough for lane 3 when tarred over...

If this is the case, then why the hell was the final piece of the M7 between the M7/M8 Merge built with the same grass median? This would allow the prospect of a three lane M7 from Dublin to the M7/M8 merge.

A third lane can be laid on the outside of a narrow-median motorway, either with no/narrowed H/S through bridges (dodgy but done elsewhere) or replacing bridges. Unless the bridges are wide enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Looks like the widening option is now part of the LOOR discussion on DOOR thread. M1, M4, M7 could all be widened as part of new ppp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

mysterious wrote: »
    Well I like to use common sense, and more often than not, I'm proved right everytime. When I'm wrong I will admit to it.

But yeah.

The thing is Mysterious you do find it hard to admit that you make incorrect figures at times. You will not derail this thread like you have done to several others.

Continue to post off-topic and you will be banned. That also goes for other posters. Off topic posts are now going to be deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

A Few pics from Bridges over M7 between Kilcotton and Borris-In-Ossory taken today.

p1020337c.jpg

p1020339x.jpg

p1020341w.jpg

p1020343f.jpg

p1020342l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

it's official, M7/M8 to open on 28th may 2010 see link below .http://www.midlink.ie/news.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Jomcc wrote: »
    A Few pics from Bridges over M7 between Kilcotton and Borris-In-Ossory taken today.

p1020341w.jpg

This has improved greatly since I seen it about 3 weeks ago. There was alot of activity moving topsoil from a stack they had at this bridge down to where the landscaping was occuring

p1020343f.jpg
    And here is where the landscaping was happening. The last time I seen this (and its in some previous pictures) the road was messed up with clay and dirt piled along parts, and there was drainage being done on both sides.

p1020342l.jpg
    This is a picture of the Nenagh-Castletown scheme so progress can be ignored in relation to M7/M8 progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

clon wrote: »
    it's official, M7/M8 to open on 28th may 2010 see link below .http://www.midlink.ie/news.html
    That's great news. What is the procedure generally for these sort of things? If the opening ceremony is on the 28th with the road be opened to traffic straight after?

I generally hit the area at 5.40 on Fridays, so what I'm wondering is whether I will benefit from this on the 28th. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

janeybabe wrote: »
    That's great news. What is the procedure generally for these sort of things? If the opening ceremony is on the 28th with the road be opened to traffic straight after?

I generally hit the area at 5.40 on Fridays, so what I'm wondering is whether I will benefit from this on the 28th. :)

Normally round midday they open offically so youll be ok. Ill be on it too headin up!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'll race ya! :D Thanks for that.

I never thought I'd be looking forward to a new road as much as I am looking forward to this one. A year of Fridays will do that to you, I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Tis good news alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 chalky2005

so does this mean that both the M7/M8 are going to open at the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

so how long will it take then to get from the jack lynch tunnel to the m50 once the m8/m7 is complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

p1020341w.jpg

Is it just me or does that bend look a bit severe for a motorway? Doesn't look capable of 120kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

wingfo wrote: »
    so how long will it take then to get from the jack lynch tunnel to the m50 once the m8/m7 is complete.

Its about 240k so roughly 2 hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Is it just me or does that bend look a bit severe for a motorway? Doesn't look capable of 120kph.

The view from the overbridge taken from a camera will make it look a lot tighter than the corner actually is. It has been a common question on the forum in the past :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Residents of Ballacolla will hold a charity run on the M8 from J3 to the current Cullohill roundabout for whoever wants to participate. May 23rd is the date.

Residents of Ballacolla will hold a charity run on the M8 from J3 to the current Cullohill roundabout for whoever wants to participate. May 23rd is the date.

cool, whats it in aid of?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

nice one, I'm from ballacolla and will give it a run!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Steviemak wrote: »
    Its about 240k so roughly 2 hrs

Depends on how kind Newlands Cross is feeling to ya. You could easily add an extra 15-30 minutes at the worst-trafficked period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

agree if say you could easily get to newlands cross in 2 1/2 hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Not sure if it has been posted but Noel Dempsey is probably little bit pissed off as Biffo is going to open the road.

Not sure if it has been posted but Noel Dempsey is probably little bit pissed off as Biffo is going to open the road.

Good, I might go along and heckle the fat useless inept blob of a leader.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

If anyone will be attending, ye might take some photos or even youtube it. Still 4 weeks away though. Would be good to see some of the new gantry signage at the interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

why have they removed the official opening date from the midlink website??:confused: me wonders....

http://www.midlink.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

emfifty wrote: »
    why have they removed the official opening date from the midlink website??:confused: me wonders....

http://www.midlink.ie/

Fear not, it'll still be spun as "ahead of schedule and under budget".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

THE multi-million euro in M7 and M8 motorways could be open by the end of May, with an NRA spokesperson confirming that they are a number of months ahead of schedule.
    The motorways, which are the result of a major Government investment, was originally due to be open in September but Michael Egan of the NRA told the Leinster Express that they are "definitely ahead of schedule" and are now expected to be open by the "middle of the year".

He didn't rule out the possibility of the new motorways being open by the end of May, in line with local speculation.

While Mr Egan said they couldn't confirm any official opening date, he said they were "very happy" with the progress they have made so far.

Construction of the remaining section of the M8 motorway commenced in June 2007. This final section will run south of Portlaoise, where it will diverge from the M7 as the M8. The project, officially known as the Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill PPP Scheme, will extend from Naas in County Kildare to the northern terminus of the Dunkettle-Cullahill segment of the current M8 (the scheme also extends the M7 from Portlaoise to Castletown).

The motorway will be subject to toll south of Portlaoise on the M7 before the junction with the M8.

When finished the M8 will be approximately 143 km (89 miles) long.

The motorway to motorway interchange will be located east of Aghaboe and the toll plaza will be located in the townland of Fatharnagh, close to the river Cappanacloghy, north of the motorway interchange.

Meanwhile, an opportunity to view the new motorway will be available on Sunday, May 23 when a sponsored walk/cycle proceeds in aid of Hawthorn Community Building. The walk will have its start point at the Tentore Roundabout and will continue south to the Oldtown Junction on the Kilkenny border along an 8km stretch. The sponsored walk has been described as an historic occasion and a great opportunity for the public to view this scenic section of the motorway.
    Local paper has a report on the road. No official date mentioned. Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Plagiarism! I wrote about four sentences of that article and put them up on the M8's wikipedia page a few months ago. Clearly the "journalist" just stole them.

• Advertisement

LAZY HACK!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement