Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Got a couple of photos today.

First picture is looking South bound, towards where will tie in with the existing M8.
    2nd Picture is from the second flyover on the M8 ( at Cullohill), again looking South.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 lartsa

2nd Picture is actually looking from the third flyover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

lartsa wrote: »
    2nd Picture is actually looking from the third flyover :D

My mistake :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0503/1224269588775.html
    Last part of €2.6bn motorway set to open
    TIM O'BRIEN

THE FINAL section of motorway between Dublin and Cork is to open next month.

Developed for almost €2.6 billion, the entire 250km route from Dublin’s M50 to Cork’s Dunkettle interchange works out at about €10.4 million a kilometre.

The opening of the completed Portlaoise to Cullahill section will bypass the towns of Abbeyleix, Durrow and Cullahill in Co Laois and is expected to cut the journey time from the M50 to Dunkettle by as much as 45 minutes.

At 250km, it should be possible to drive from the Red Cow and Dunkettle in about two hours and 30 minutes, allowing for lower speed limits along sections such as Newlands Cross in Dublin.

The final section of the Cork motorway also encompassed the division of the M7 Limerick and M8 Cork roads southwest of Portlaoise.

The 40km Y-shaped section will take Cork-bound traffic from the existing Portlaoise bypass to the existing M8 at Cullahill. It will also take Limerick-bound traffic from the Portlaoise bypass to Castletown, where remaining sections of the M7 Limerick motorway are under construction.

The Portlaoise/Cullahill/Castletown section was developed for €405 million, bringing the cost of upgrading the route between Portlaoise and Cork to just over €2 billion.

A toll plaza is to be installed, taking in traffic on both the Limerick and Cork routes. The toll has been pitched at 90 cents for a motorbike, rising to €5.70 for heavy goods vehicles. Passenger cars are to be charged €1.80.

This is the second toll on the route. Charges for using the Fermoy bypass are €1 for a motorbike, €1.90 for a passenger car and €6 for a heavy goods vehicle. Charges for a round trip for a passenger car will amount to €7.40 and €23.40 for a heavy goods vehicle.

From 1992, when the bypass of Glanmire in Co Cork was opened at a cost of €60 million, other bypass schemes have included: Watergrasshill (€144 million), Cashel (€48 million) and Fermoy (€300 million). Motorway stretches from Cashel to Mitchelstown (€445 million), Cashel to Cullahill (€434 million) and Mitchelstown to Fermoy (€174 million) were also constructed.

On the Cork-Dublin route between Dublin and Portlaoise, the Naas bypass was opened in 1983, at a cost of about €23 million. The Kildare-Monasterevin section and widening of the Naas to Red Cow stretch to three lanes cost about €570 million.

A spokesman for the National Roads Authority confirmed the latest road was likely to open over the last days of June, having previously been pencilled in for the third quarter of 2010.

Just over a decade ago, then taoiseach Bertie Ahern announced the Republic’s motorway building programme as part of the National Development Plan 2000-2006.

A total of €6 billion was allocated for the programme, which has turned out to take 10 years and cost three times that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Did that report say the latest section of the road will open the last days of june.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

last i heard cowen was going open m7/m8 on may 28th. opening date was confirmed on midlink website and has since been removed. nra are suggesting end of june, the indo today suggest end of may (m8 only).

so what is the story, is the whole project opening end of may or is it just m8 part?

is the opening definately may 28th?

anyone?

:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bypassing Abbeyleix will be a great help when travelling up to Roscommon. I assume there will be no connection to the Athlone motorway from the M8?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

THE multi-million euro in M7 and M8 motorways could be open by the end of May, with an NRA spokesperson confirming that they are a number of months ahead of schedule.
    Um, 4 years late.
    Construction of the remaining section of the M8 motorway commenced in June 2007. This final section will run south of Portlaoise, where it will diverge from the M7 as the M8. The project, officially known as the Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill PPP Scheme, will extend from Naas in County Kildare to the northern terminus of the Dunkettle-Cullahill segment of the current M8 (the scheme also extends the M7 from Portlaoise to Castletown).
    Naas?
    Sully wrote: »
    Bypassing Abbeyleix will be a great help when travelling up to Roscommon. I assume there will be no connection to the Athlone motorway from the M8?
    It won't be much use for Waterford-Roscommon other than removing congestion from those towns. Its connected to the "Athlone motorway" by the M50. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

The link to todays irish Independent says that the M7/M8 will open on May 28th.They mention that Borris-in Ossory will be bypassed as well.The entire 40km of the M7/M8 scheme will open together.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/motorway-to-slash-travel-time-between-largest-cities-2162359.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The €400m scheme also bypasses Abbeyleix, Durrow and Cullahill, which means fewer trucks will pass through the congested Co Laois towns.
    The notorious bottleneck of Borris-in-Ossory will also be bypassed, resulting in improved air quality and less congestion.

Is that a joke? The only notorious bottleneck in the towns mentioned is Abbeyleix. And they didn't even mention Mountrath. Sometime I wonder about why these people get paid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Sully wrote: »

Take the N80 and N52 from Portlaoise to the M6 I'd say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Victor wrote: »
    It won't be much use for Waterford-Roscommon other than removing congestion from those towns. Its connected to the "Athlone motorway" by the M50. :)

Oh right, so we cant use the bypass unless your actually on the motorway?

You know me, looking for ways to avoid the normal national routes and stick to motorways as much as possible. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Victor wrote: »
    THE multi-million euro in M7 and M8 motorways could be open by the end of May......
    Construction of the remaining section of the M8 motorway commenced in June 2007. The project ........ will extend from Naas in County Kildare to the northern terminus of the Dunkettle-Cullahill segment
    Naas?
    I agree it is badly written, but at least they didn't say the M8 motorway from Cork to Dublin.
    From the M50 junction to Naas it is a dual carriageway so I can see why they mention Naas in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Am still a bit confused with the M7/M8 interchanged. Can someone confirm that WHEN (I know disagreement on dates) they open the new M8 from Portlaois with the toll, that the M7 will also be extended to bypass mountrath?

Also if it is a case that the M7 mountrath bypass will be opening will it rejoin the old N7 at castletown or at the round about that has been added west of Borris-in-Ossory?

Thanks
    Desperate Galway-Limerick-Wexford Weekend commuter!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Most rumours say the M8 section will open first, so you'll need to come off the M7 at Portlaoise and continue along the existing road to limerick.

However, this makes no sense to me as the M7 section is pretty close to being completed.

The new roundabout in Borris In Ossory is where you'll rejoin the existing N7. The Scheme is called Portlaoise-Castletown, but the end is no where near Castletown.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Hey kiwipower,

My understanding (subject to correction) is as follows:
    - that the M7/M8 portlaoise/cullahill/castletown shall open as ONE section ( as confirmed by NRA http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65587896&postcount=837 )
    - opening is on May 28th (not an nra date). this date was listed on http://www.midlink.ie/news.html but has since been removed - but on or around that date surely?
    - M7 leg terminates at roundabout at borris so BOTH borris and mountrath shall be bypassed (i think)

perhaps somebody might correct me if i'm wrong, please & thanks...

kiwipower wrote: »
    Am still a bit confused with the M7/M8 interchanged. Can someone confirm that WHEN (I know disagreement on dates) they open the new M8 from Portlaois with the toll, that the M7 will also be extended to bypass mountrath?

Also if it is a case that the M7 mountrath bypass will be opening will it rejoin the old N7 at castletown or at the round about that has been added west of Borris-in-Ossory?

Thanks
    Desperate Galway-Limerick-Wexford Weekend commuter!!!:D

Thanks guys,
    What your saying is what I thought from the Indo article. Was not sure after checking on boards this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

kiwipower wrote: »

Also if it is a case that the M7 mountrath bypass will be opening will it rejoin the old N7 at castletown or at the round about that has been added west of Borris-in-Ossory?:D

Afraid can't answer first part of question, but can confirm that the only exit after toll booth on M7 is the new roundabout on the new Borris-In-Ossory Rathdowney road. This is approx 1km from the roundabout you are talking about on N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

fresca wrote: »

- M7 leg terminates at roundabout at borris so BOTH borris and mountrath shall be bypassed (i think)

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Out of interest, WHY is Abbeyleix such a bottleneck? Passing through it yesterday off-peak there didnt seem to be any specific pinch point that would slow traffic down enough to jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Out of interest, WHY is Abbeyleix such a bottleneck? Passing through it yesterday off-peak there didnt seem to be any specific pinch point that would slow traffic down enough to jam.

The set of traffic lights generally does it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Most rumours say the M8 section will open first, so you'll need to come off the M7 at Portlaoise and continue along the existing road to limerick.

However, this makes no sense to me as the M7 section is pretty close to being completed.

The new roundabout in Borris In Ossory is where you'll rejoin the existing N7. The Scheme is called Portlaoise-Castletown, but the end is no where near Castletown.

Any reason why the times said end of June & the Indo end of may?
    It seems the NRA can't give a straight answer.
    Slightly unrelated but I see Bus Eireann buses from Limerick to Dublin don't stop in Borris.The facilities weren't of the standard required!!
    In fairness the XL place is alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Among other reasons,

- because it has a set of traffic lights giving flow to another road
    - because of the distance between either end of the town when driving on the N8.

In simplified Queue Theory:

l is the rate of arrival of cars to the town
    m is the rate at which the town can process one through car

if l > m, a queue builds i.e cars will start slowing down before the beginning of the town (50 kph sign). Think of a sink with a slow blockage. If the rate of water coming out of the taps is higher than the rate the plughole can handle, the sink starts to fill a bit and you have to adjust the flow of the taps.

With the lights, the average time it takes to get through the town increases dramatically. 1/m is the average time through the town. Say the lights (on average - some have to stop, some don't) increase the time to get through town by 50%. This would mean 1/m increases by 50% to 3/2m

That means the rate that cars are processed through the village decreases by one third in this example.

So the time added by the lights, along with a high rate of cars approaching the village at peak times, significantly increases the average time to get through the village.

If it wasn't for the lights, the hold up would be similar to Urlingford in the old days - slow but moving - only it would be a bit worse as the distance between the 50kph sign entering the town and the 100kph leaving is longer in the case of Abbeyleix.

Of course, this is a bit over-simplified as in reality there are a number of systems in series - the overall town queue system is a series of minor systems involving the lights, the stretch where you let locals out of the parking spaces, etc. Also, the lights do not operate continuously, instead processing batches of jobs (cars) between intermittent idle periods (from the N8's perspective)

In short:
    - greater arrival rate of cars than town's processing rate of through cars means a queue
    - traffic lights reduce town's process rate for through cars
    - queue continues to grow for as long as arrival rate of cars is higher than town's processing rate
    - queue starts to shrink when arrival rate of cars slows down.

Simples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Traffic lights and cars pulling in and out of car parking spaces on the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

MrDerp wrote: »
    Among other reasons,

- because of the distance between either end of the town when driving on the N8.

if l > m, a queue builds i.e cars will start slowing down before the beginning of the town (50 kph sign). Think of a sink with a slow blockage. If the rate of water coming out of the taps is higher than the rate the plughole can handle, the sink starts to fill a bit and you have to adjust the flow of the taps.

With the lights, the average time it takes to get through the town increases dramatically. 1/m is the average time through the town. Say the lights (on average - some have to stop, some don't) increase the time to get through town by 50%. This would mean 1/m increases by 50% to 3/2m

That means the rate that cars are processed through the village decreases by one third in this example.

So the time added by the lights, along with a high rate of cars approaching the village at peak times, significantly increases the average time to get through the village.

If it wasn't for the lights, the hold up would be similar to Urlingford in the old days - slow but moving - only it would be a bit worse as the distance between the 50kph sign entering the town and the 100kph leaving is longer in the case of Abbeyleix.

Of course, this is a bit over-simplified as in reality there are a number of systems in series - the overall town queue system is a series of minor systems involving the lights, the stretch where you let locals out of the parking spaces, etc. Also, the lights do not operate continuously, instead processing batches of jobs (cars) between intermittent idle periods (from the N8's perspective)

In short:
    - greater arrival rate of cars than town's processing rate of through cars means a queue
    - queue continues to grow for as long as arrival rate of cars is higher than town's processing rate

Thank you Mr. James May !

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Among other reasons,

In short:

Simples

100% correct, but a very an*l way of putting it.

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Thank you Mr. James May !

I dont know who made me laugh harder Mystica1 or MrDerp!!!:D
    I know I have tears coming down my eyes like that leaking sink tap!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Among other reasons,

In short:

Queue theory - the sport of kings! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

sleepyman wrote: »
    Slightly unrelated but I see Bus Eireann buses from Limerick to Dublin don't stop in Borris.The facilities weren't of the standard required!!
    In fairness the XL place is alot better.

i dont get you, there is a rest stop behind the hotel in Borris for BE services to and from Limerick, or are you saying they have stopped using it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement