Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

there is one been built presently on the M4 just near Enfield, I think a Burgerking is going into it and there is also the set up for what looks like petrol stations.

they are also a place where if a person is tired that they can pull into and have a snooze, stopping at the side of the motorway for 40 winks may not be the safest thing to do at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Hogzy wrote: »
    The Portlaoise place is basically on the motorway. I dont see why they cant make do with that place but just enhance it a little to make it more efficient for motorway use.

This model is used extensively in the UK. If you have stopped at the Swansea or Cardiff Service Stations on the M4 or Exeter and Avonmouth on the M5, they are very similar in design to the Maldorn site at Portlaoise. They are signposted as motorway service stations, but are on normal junctions. MSA's do not have to be isolated in the middle of nowhere with their own dedicated entrance/exit slips.

The people who built the extension to Junction 8 on the M8 will make a killing when they eventually finish building whatever McDonalds/SuperMacs/etc and garage is going in there. It will be the only "obvious" stop on the route until you hit the N7 Nass bypass.

I agree with BluntGuy, the point of an MSA is that they are open 24 hours (at least for toilets), how many of the local service stations "just off the motorways" are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Jesus we cry over such small things here. There is 384KM of non-stop Motorway.
    I'm curious as to where the hidden motorway you and Stinicker think that goes between Newry and Ballymasacnlon in Lough and between Red Cow and Naas?

As there's sections of A1, N1 and N7 to break up the motorway sections.

Plus there's three non-freeflow tolls along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If I were the NRA/government I would scrap the current MSA plans, put forward a design plan and just let private companies build it at the junctions. There isnt enough traffic using the motorway to jam up the junctions and it would get them built a lot cheaper and quicker than the mess they're currently pandering to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The M7 Portlaoise roundabout is getting signs refitted. The N8 Abbeyleix directional sign has been replaced with an N77 Kilkenny sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

If I were the NRA/government I would scrap the current MSA plans, put forward a design plan and just let private companies build it at the junctions. There isnt enough traffic using the motorway to jam up the junctions and it would get them built a lot cheaper and quicker than the mess they're currently pandering to.
    Well said I think its a massive business venture with big profits for private
    companys to invest in MSA's, cant understand why the government have to pay for them when they can clearly profit from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

wingfo wrote: »
    Well said I think its a massive business venture with big profits for private
    companys to invest in MSA's, cant understand why the government have to pay for them when they can clearly profit from them.

Because of government funding I can just see these places becoming an absolute rip off. I doubt the local councils will grant planning permission for any similar projects nearby that may compete with the official MSA

I'm curious as to where the hidden motorway you and Stinicker think that goes between Newry and Ballymasacnlon in Lough and between Red Cow and Naas?

As there's sections of A1, N1 and N7 to break up the motorway sections.

Plus there's three non-freeflow tolls along the route.
    Hello reality check can you remember how long it took to drive between Cork and Newry 5/6 years ago, its now more or less all motorway standard all the way.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Because of government funding I can just see these places becoming an absolute rip off. I doubt the local councils will grant planning permission for any similar projects nearby that may compete with the official MSA
    Point is scrap the OFFICIAL MSA which will cost the Taxpayer and let differerent companys tender for Government approved MSA, Taxpayer can actually make a few bob for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

wingfo wrote: »
    Hello reality check can you remember how long it took to drive between Cork and Newry 5/6 years ago, its now more or less all motorway standard all the way.

Exactly. Im too young to remember how bad the roads used to be (certainly from driving POV) but i cant imagine life was much fun for any poor sod who had to do said journey back then

"Oh no a toll booth" and "Oh no this road is DC and not Motorway" are pretty insignificant in comparison to "Oh No Moate!" and "Oh No Abbeyleix
    :pac:

• Advertisement

Exactly. Im too young to remember how bad the roads used to be (certainly from driving POV) but i cant imagine life was much fun for any poor sod who had to do said journey back then

"Oh no a toll booth" and "Oh no this road is DC and not Motorway" are pretty insignificant in comparison to "Oh No Moate!" and "Oh No Abbeyleix
    :pac:
    you must have a very short attention span if you cant remember 5 years ago, as it happens I drive all over uk europe and the us, point is roads are 100% better now in this country you should get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The first improvement to the Cork to Dublin journey was in 1983.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

wingfo you have recieved a warning for the post below, personal abuse and breach of forum peace will not be tolerated.
    wingfo wrote:
    you must have a very short attention span if you cant remember 5 years ago, as it happens I drive all over uk europe and the us, point is roads are 100% better now in this country you should get out more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Stark wrote: »
    The first improvement to the Cork to Dublin journey was in 1983.

1983?:confused: sure thats when the Naas bypass was built:rolleyes:,
    what about in 1968 when the Clondalkin/Kinswood/Saggart and Rathcoole bypasses (to name just a few villages) were built!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Danno wrote: »
    The M7 Portlaoise roundabout is getting signs refitted. The N8 Abbeyleix directional sign has been replaced with an N77 Kilkenny sign.

yep, back on topic, I note lots of signs locally here just off the new M8 now showing the "Toll" bit of the signage that was up to lately, covered over.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

1983?:confused: sure thats when the Naas bypass was built:rolleyes:,

Indeed it was. A statement that works just as well without the rolling the eyes to heaven! It's hardly the point if there were road improvements before then, it still shows that there were road improvements outside of the last 5 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Taking Shape now..........tie in at Portlaoise end.

westl.jpg

east1.jpg

p1020553n.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, flying along there now, the good weather is no doubt aiding them, I note the freshly drilled cats eyes in......sweet.

I was over @ the Cullahill end only the night before last, and nothing more has happened there, nothing. Still, i reckon they'd clear and join up the 2 ends in 48hrs or less.......I have more pics to post,will do later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

What are peoples opinions on a May 28th opening?

Nuttzz wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on a May 28th opening?

I'd say definite.........

Bad road from Ballacolla to Motorway exit resurfaced this week to get ready for toll avoidance. I recon it will be the busiest stretch of "R" designated road in the country within a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Jomcc wrote: »
    I'd say definite.........

+1

what time of day?

MidlandsM wrote: »

what time of day?

Considering it's a Bank Holiday weekend, I hope it's earlier rather than later on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Considering it's a Bank Holiday weekend, I hope it's earlier rather than later on the day.
    The gov love to have these things happen round 2pm.
    rounds this out nicely for the weekend of course!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

I'm pretty sure May 28th isn't a bank holiday though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is it the 7th of June?

no, the bank hols the following weekend.
    Still, it will be nice to get it opened.;)

Oppss..........you right........sorry.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 larrym

From Midlink site:

MidLink M7/M8 Limited are delighted to announce that the M7/M8 Portlaoise to Cullahill/Castletown Motorway will open on Friday the 28th May 2010. The motorway is expected to be available to public traffic from 4PM onwards. To avail of a faster transit through the toll plaza sign up for your electronic toll tag now. Go to www.tagcompare.ie for more details.

http://www.midlink.ie/news.html

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mattman_iflaf

Just in time for june bank holiday weekend... wooot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

larrym wrote: »
    From Midlink site:

MidLink M7/M8 Limited are delighted to announce that the M7/M8 Portlaoise to Cullahill/Castletown Motorway will open on Friday the 28th May 2010. The motorway is expected to be available to public traffic from 4PM onwards. To avail of a faster transit through the toll plaza sign up for your electronic toll tag now. Go to www.tagcompare.ie for more details.

http://www.midlink.ie/news.html

So the account I have with eflow, will allow me to use any toll plaza in the county?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement