Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mc Love wrote: »
    So the account I have with eflow, will allow me to use any toll plaza in the county?

Tag: yes

Video registration: No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There is a party being held on the Greens in Durrow at 6.30pm on May 28th to celebrate the Motorway Bypass opening. There will be also a launch of Durrow on Google Earth 3D made at the celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Nice one. There should be a nice google earth update coming up soon so.

Emergency phones have been installed along the route by the way. They are of the same type as the phones between Cashel and Fermoy.

Durrow has a real sense of civic pride about itself - the website has highlighted this event. I like Durrow!
    No Turning Back! – Durrow to Celebrate Bypass Opening in Style

The town of Durrow will celebrate the motorway bypass of its town on the very day of its official opening, Friday May 28th with a Family Community Evening of Celebration and Nostalgia to mark this historic occasion. Having served as a midway stopping point on the Dublin to Cork artery for over three hundred years, Durrow has dined and wined many celebrities and nurtured many friendships in the intervening years. The motorway bypass has now presented this forward looking community with an opportunity to celebrate these friendships, to cherish its environment and to unite as a community on the road to a new future for Durrow. The evening begins at 6.30pm with a Final Nostalgic Parade of Road Transport through the Ages (from shanks mare to juggernaut) on the Dublin–Cork road. This will be followed by a Family Community Tea–Party on the Village Green with music, children’s entertainment and many side shows. The evening will conclude with “The Road to Recovery”- The Launch of Durrow on 3D Google Earth – A new “0ne Hundred Lane Virtual Highway into Durrow” created by Real-Sim Technology. The launch will be facilitated by Mr. Ed Parsons Google’s Chief Geospatial Technologist who is flying in especially from England to support this event which firmly places Durrow on the virtual world map.

Durrow Development Forum extends an open invitation to our parish community and in fact to anyone who wishes to join us for this historic celebration.

I'd love to attend it but I will be back in Nuremberg unfortunately. I'd even suggest an Infrastructure forum meet-up at it actually. This will be the first section of M8 to open since 2003 that I haven't driven on on its opening day. I hope the volcano stops my flight on Sunday. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    I'd love to attend it but I will be back in Nuremberg unfortunately. I'd even suggest an Infrastructure forum meet-up at it actually. This will be the first section of M8 to open since 2003 that I haven't driven on on its opening day. I hope the volcano stops my flight on Sunday. ;)

I'm working that day sadly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

MYOB wrote: »
    Tag: yes

Video registration: No.

Ah feck - thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The tie in with the R435 in Borris In Ossory is being tidied up today with the ramps being brushed down and cleaned. Loads of new signs up at it too, and the road seems finished with just some cleaning needed in a couple of parts.

So, with that in mind, can we assume the whole scheme is going to open on Friday? And not just the M8 leg?

By the sounds of things the whole thing will open. I never thought the M7 would open later - it made little sense to me. I'm going to try to borrow a car later and take a load of photos of signage etc.

Actually I *might* even try to get a look at Castletown-Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

What do you think the normal, i.e not friday pm, journey time will be from newlands cross to n8/n25 junction in cork once this opens?

Nuttzz wrote: »
    What do you think the normal, i.e not friday pm, journey time will be from newlands cross to n8/n25 junction in cork once this opens?

Two hours, and probably less (1hr 50min?) for those who break the limit (which I don't condone, btw). But I don't actually know - it will be interesting to see how long it takes to clear the latest M8/M7 section from Cullahill to the Portlaoise Bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Jomcc wrote: »
    Bad road from Ballacolla to Motorway exit resurfaced this week to get ready for toll avoidance. I recon it will be the busiest stretch of "R" designated road in the country within a few weeks.
    This is something the locals in Ballacolla and along that road to Abbeyleix are very worried about, to say nothing of what's likely to go on where this road rejoins the old N7 at the southern end of Abbeyleix. :(

I honestly don't think any interurban traffic will exit the motorway before the toll. Well, they might do it once, but will be unlikely to repeat the mistake after that. I had never heard of Ballacolla before I passed through it to photograph construction progress of the scheme for the first time. If I had been driving from Cork/Fermoy/Mitchelstwown/Cahir/Cashel/Thurles to Dublin and decided to dodge the toll I'd have been very regretful, especially if I did it during winter. People will not dodge this toll unless they want to go to Durrow and Abbeyleix, and, if they do, they will get off at Urlingford and take the old road. That's my hunch anyway: a few toll dodgers through Ballacolla at the start before people wise up and opt to pay the toll instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That's what people are hoping for.
    I live alongside the Portlaoise/Borris-in-Ossory section (current N7), and am also hoping that the same thing will happen with that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

As somebody who drives from Kerry to Dublin, via the South Ring and Jack Lynch Tunnel/M8. Abbeyleix is the usual mid-point to break the journey, to refuel, go to the toilet, maybe change drivers if going to Belfast.

I will still probably get off at Junction 3 quite simply not to dodge the toll but because there is a total lack of motorway service areas down along the route and up along also. On a busy morning like going to the All-Ireland I'd probably motor on via the toll route depending on how tired I was.

Alot of these little towns along the way will soon miss the passing traffic when they see their revenues of their business like shops, restaurants and filling stations sink like a lead baloon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Stinicker wrote: »
    As somebody who drives from Kerry to Dublin, via the South Ring and Jack Lynch Tunnel/M8. Abbeyleix is the usual mid-point to break the journey, to refuel, go to the toilet, maybe change drivers if going to Belfast.

I will still probably get off at Junction 3 quite simply not to dodge the toll but because there is a total lack of motorway service areas down along the route and up along also. On a busy morning like going to the All-Ireland I'd probably motor on via the toll route depending on how tired I was.

Alot of these little towns along the way will soon miss the passing traffic when they see their revenues of their business like shops, restaurants and filling stations sink like a lead baloon!

Interesting point about the refuelling. Half a tank of fuel is used going Motorway speed for 250(ish)KM - the odds are that quite a few drivers will think "Save a few quid just using the gas stations on the old road". Not all, but a good percentage, which amounts to quite a bit of extra traffic considering this is pretty much the halfway point of Irelands 2 biggest cities

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A decent % of people dodging the M4 toll are doing so to stop at Mother Hubbards or get fuel - the Topaz in Kinnegad still seems to do decent business any time I've seen it!

Aren't there plans to build a private fast-food restaurant and a service station near junction 3? I heard that I think, maybe someone local can confirm...

There was talk that Abrekebra were trying to buy land near J3 for a service station. They offered €500,000 for 2/3 acres I believe. I'll try confirm that from the person that told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I am glad this is opening on May 28th, means I'll have driven though Abbeyleix for the last time and the next time will be Bank Holiday weekend :D

There's signs up on the road signs on the way into Borris In Ossory from Limerick saying "this could be the last time you drive through B-I-O" :pac:

• Advertisement

haha they're really milking this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I may be driving to Killarney from Dublin in mid-June.

I'm wondering now if the best route to Killarney would be:
    a) M8 the whole way to Cork, then N25 South Ring Road and then the N22 to Killarney.
    or
    b) M7/N7/M7 to Limerick and the the M20/N21 to Killarney

I don't want to do the M8 as far as Mitcheltstown or Fermoy and then do the N72 through Mallow because I've suffered on that road before and I swore I'd never drive it again.

Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The N22 is a much worse option than the N72.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

According to ViaMichelin.co.uk driving from Dublin centre to Killarney
    Via Limerick: 191 miles in 3hours 57 minutes; 67 miles on motorway.
    Via Cork: 214 miles in 4h 12 m. 133 miles on motorway.

Depending on time too you'll have to fight your way through Dunkettle and the Cork SRR. Do the M7 way I reckon, least you'll only have trouble in Adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Using Google Maps and more aptly kilometres;

via Mitchelstown/Mallow: 299km 3hrs 39
    via Limerick: 308km 3hrs 58
    via Cork: 336km 3hrs 52

Topsoil for landscaping just off the N8 700m north of Cullahill roundabout:
    DSCF1047.jpg

Planting at side of first overbridge north of Cullahill roundabout. Mostly hawthorn and birch:
    DSCF1048.jpg

View of M8 northwards from that first overbridge:
    DSCF1049.jpg

View south to Cullahill roundabout from same bridge:
    DSCF1051.jpg

M8 looking south from second overbridge west of Cullahill:
    DSCF1053.jpg

View north from same position:
    DSCF1054.jpg

Third M8 overbridge, looking south:
    DSCF1055.jpg

And north...