Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've updated the M8's wikipedia page. I also updated the wiki pages for Cullahill, Durrow, Abbeyleix, the R434, R435 and R433, Mountrath and Borris.

I added some photos to the M7's page, but it still needs a lot of work...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Rovi wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/New-era-as-motorway-opens.6319098.jp

The toll isn't on the M8, but anyway... :rolleyes:

+1

and this is wrong too - "Apart from Portlaoise, Rathdowney will now be the closest Laois town to a motorway exit"

No its not.:rolleyes: Lazy ass hack!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Its Borris In Ossory isn't it. Thats the closest town (or village) to the new motorways

How long will the M7 be between Naas and Borris when this opens? And how long will (open sections of) the M7 be in total when this opens tomorrow? That M7 wiki article is a mess.

Furet wrote: »
    How long will the M7 be between Naas and Borris when this opens? And how long will (open sections of) the M7 be in total when this opens tomorrow? That M7 wiki article is a mess.

I'll clock from Junction 3 to the Toll, and other stretches etc, when it opens and post here.

@ Roosterman, yeah, Borris is just a stones throw from the m7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I have to go to from Dublin to Carrick-on-Suir tomorrow evening. Normally I'd go the M9 route which is the shortest and most direct route but I think I might take the M8 tomorrow as far as Cahir and back across just to drive the new section of motorway.

Can't resist a new section of motorway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

NRA have issued a scheme Brochure prior to the opening tomorrow

http://www.nra.ie/RepositoryforPublicationsInfo/file,17185,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Turn on RTE 1 news there's going to be a report coming up on the opening tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

aarrgghh why must they put both N8 and M8 on the brochure maps!!!!

That annoys me far more than it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Whats to stop people going the old Durrow-Cullohill route to avoid the toll charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Forky wrote: »
    Whats to stop people going the old Durrow-Cullohill route to avoid the toll charges?

Absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Any idea what time it's opening at as I'm in heading that way tomorrow and would like to use it?

Cheers

Forky wrote: »

Nothing, but the roundabout at the current end of the M8 at Cullohill is going, so you'll have to travel Portlaoise to Urlingford to skip it easily, unless you want to go cross country.

For €1.80 though you'd be mad to dodge it. Very few commuters to dodge it daily I reckon, its mostly long distance. I'll probably never toll dodge it.

big mce wrote: »
    Any idea what time it's opening at as I'm in heading that way tomorrow and would like to use it?

Cheers

Around 4pm.
    Jayuu wrote: »
    I have to go to from Dublin to Carrick-on-Suir tomorrow evening. Normally I'd go the M9 route which is the shortest and most direct route but I think I might take the M8 tomorrow as far as Cahir and back across just to drive the new section of motorway.

I'd always take the M8 if I were you and get off at junction 10. Would be safer and probably faster at any time.

Jayuu wrote: »

By the way bring a camera :D

For €1.80 though you'd be mad to dodge it. Very few commuters to dodge it daily I reckon, its mostly long distance. I'll probably never toll dodge it.

but at 5 or 6 quid per big artic, many drivers will be under orders from their bosses to dodge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

MidlandsM wrote: »
    +1

and this is wrong too - "Apart from Portlaoise, Rathdowney will now be the closest Laois town to a motorway exit"

No its not.:rolleyes: Lazy ass hack!

well, any help for the outlet is welcome ;)

well, any help for the outlet is welcome ;)

the outlet is DEAD, beyond fixing sadly.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 blarneyone

I'll gladly pay the tolls. I reckon with this last bit open, i can be with my customer in Raheny faster than the customer in Castletownbere.

Btw i live in blarney

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Furet wrote: »
    Around 4pm.
    I'd always take the M8 if I were you and get off at junction 10. Would be safer and probably faster at any time.

Only until they open the last section of the M9!

I just hate the section of road between Cahir and Carrick but I will time the journey tomorrow from the M7/M9 split and compare it with a standard journey back on Sunday to see what works out better.

I will have a camera but since I'm not supposed to stop on a motorway it might be difficult to get some pictures! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Liam Good

I bet if enough people enter/exit the Motorway off the Ballacolla/Rathdowney road at Manor Stone ,they will stick toll booths on the on/off ramps. Only works if you are heading to/from Cork direction,though. R433 from Abbeyleix to Manor Stone,enter motorway for Cork. If heading to Dublin from Cork,take exit 3 (signposted Abbeyleix) and proceed as normal to the Motorrway at Midway.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Hey folks, just seeking advice.

I live in Abbeyleix but am from Cork. I head south average twice a week and to be honest cant really afford to pay the extra charge over a sustained period of time. Of course i will use it but if i want to avoid it from time to time in both directions what will i do. Thanks in advance for any advise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

So does anyone know what the journey time will be from Dublin to Limerick and Dublin to Cork once the new M7 and M8 are open? Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jmorrisey wrote: »
    Of course i will use it but if i want to avoid it from time to time in both directions what will i do.

You will follow the (much) quieter road from Culllahill to Portlaoise via Abbeyleix. The toll will not be ridiculously high like the €3 one at Enfield and not that many people will avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

tinkerbell wrote: »
    So does anyone know what the journey time will be from Dublin to Limerick and Dublin to Cork once the new M7 and M8 are open? Thanks!

would love to know this too. thinking of heading to clonakilty for the bank holiday weekend and would like to know what drive time to expect. leaving south dublin on the thursday evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

about 2 hours 15 mins to Cork city limits if you drive the speed limit plus whatever the tunnel/ring road and that crap road via Bandon add to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

another toll,so if i have a delivery to cork from Dublin(avoiding m50 toll)i will have to fork out 13.60 on a return journey out of my own pocket,can anyone give me the best way to avoid both toll's,last time i came of at mitchelstown and used old road,is there a better way for that toll and any one no how to avoid the new one,is it the durrow exit? if so when do i get back on to motorway?
    thanks in advance,time's are hard and iv cut my charges so much that losing another 13 euro every time just isn't practical for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MidlandsM wrote: »
    but at 5 or 6 quid per big artic, many drivers will be under orders from their bosses to dodge it.

More likely the ones without bosses (self employed) will be dodging it. Most of the big freight companies and companies own / branded delivery lorries even take the M4 toll (expensive and easy to avoid), this one is a lot more awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

i dont understand why people will want to bypass the toll.

if you use the toll
    it will be faster, safer, easier.
    less fuel will be used as you will not be stopping and starting and less time will be spent on the road.

if you skip the toll it will more than likely cost you more.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

jambofc wrote: »
    is there a better way for that toll and any one no how to avoid the new one,is it the durrow exit? if so when do i get back on to motorway?

Yes, hop off @ Exit 3 (Manor Stone and head for Ballacolla>Abbeyleix>Portloaise.
    MYOB wrote: »
    More likely the ones without bosses (self employed) will be dodging it. Most of the big freight companies and companies own / branded delivery lorries even take the M4 toll (expensive and easy to avoid), this one is a lot more awkward.

I don't entirely agree as many of these hauliers avoid the fermoy toll on the same motorway, but it'll be interesting to see what develops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement