Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There are people manning the toll bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

tinkerbell wrote: »
    So on the new M7/M8 toll, my friend doesn't have a tag - will she be charged the usual way like on the M50 (pay before 8pm on following evening) or are there people there manning the toll bridge so you just hand them the toll moneys?

Thanks!

http://midlink.ie/gpage4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Stark wrote: »
    There are people manning the toll bridge.
    yaaaaay
    A civilised tourist friendly toll bridge that takes REAL money!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Zuisse wrote: »
    .....The northbound carriageway should be open by 4:15/30pm. The M7 runs from Portlaoise to Castletown bypassing Mountrath and Borris-in-Ossory..........

This baffles me.....Castletown is just out side Mountrath (about a mile) so why do they say it runs to Castletown but bypasses Borris when Borris is about 6 to 7 miles south of Castletown!! (Irish way of doing it I guess!!)

Anyways will be driving southbound from Newbridge to Roscrea later so looking forward to it but can't help thinking its going to be shifting the bottleneck from Mountrath to Borris in Ossory as when you have to come off the new M7, as well as going from two lanes to the slip road, you have (if I remember correctly) 3 roundabouts to go over to get back on the N7. Time will tell I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Northbound is open now according to the AA.

Happy motoring folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

She's open northbound now! Just landed into Portlaoise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is open northbound, I was just up in Borris in Ossory.

The signs are still all blacked out advising where the motorway is save for 2 roadworks style electric signs on the approach to Borris. Very shoddy imho. Maybe that grey paint is a bitch to remove?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Some pics from M8 northbound...

m81n.jpg

m82a.jpg

m83b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Jaysus how come theres so much traffic in the second picture. Or is it just coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Hogzy wrote: »
    Jaysus how come theres so much traffic in the second picture. Or is it just coincidence?

If you think that's a lot of traffic you should see Scotland's M8 at the same time of day! :D

• Advertisement

If you think that's a lot of traffic you should see Scotland's M8 at the same time of day! :D

Its just kind of random. Seems like a traffic jam or something. Which is quite uncommon on our motorways... Bar one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Coincidence........but I took it just to show something on it.

Other than that it was constant enough.

Its just kind of random. Seems like a traffic jam or something. Which is quite uncommon on our motorways... Bar one :rolleyes:

There's only 8 vehicles between the overbridge and the edge of the photo.

Most of them seem to be overtaking the camper-van and the car towing the horse-box.

That photo is a handy illustration of driving standards in Ireland. The camper-van is dangerously tailgating the car towing the horse-box, and the silver and black cars in the overtaking lane are also tailgating.
    Bar one :rolleyes:

In fairness, I don't think the M50 is any more congested than most similar motorways in cities of similar size.

Most of them seem to be overtaking the camper-van and the car towing the horse-box.

Yeah maybe your right, But too me all the cars look really close together as if theyre tailgating each other. There cant be more than 2 feet between the camper and trailer!
    Maybe its just the way the photo turned out

Yeah maybe your right, But too me all the cars look really close together as if theyre tailgating each other. There cant be more than 2 feet between the camper and trailer!
    Maybe its just the way the photo turned out

That's what it looks like to me too. That camper-van driver is lucky we're not traffic cops!

Even if there's more room between him and the trailer, there's no way he's following the 2-second rule.

The second and third overtaking cars aren't much better either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm very happy this is open now. It will mean the road I live on will be so much quieter. And it brings to an end alot of the heavy machinery and work that was going on near my house.

On the down side though, until the Nenagh section is open I'll have thousands of vehicles a day looking down onto my farm that was sliced in two by the new R435. I remember when this was all being planned telling a friend that "in a few years, there will be a road there the height of those trees". He wouldn't believe me. Personally its a bit sad to see this monster link road split my farm. But on the other hand, the compensation I received was reinvested into the farm to improve the land quality, and make things a bit easier. Without the road, that wouldn't have happened.

So all in all, I'm delighted its finished. It looks a great job. And I'll put up with the onlookers for the next 12/18 months while the next section is done. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Odds are the Kuga is doing about 100 kmh, and everyone else is stacked up behind him ...

This is an important day. The two largest cities in the State are finally linked by motorway. Ten years there were very few people who believed that it would ever happen. And now it has.

In June 2001, from city centre to city centre could easily take over 5 and a half hours. Glad those days are over.

Who/what does J2 of the M8 serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Zuisse

Just driven it. What a joy not trying to find some back road to avoid Abbeyleix on a Friday.
    The toll plaza has some number recognition system that seems to identify the type of vehicle you're driving based upon your reg no. Impressive but as I have a commercial jeep I got charged LGV rate instead of car rate.
    If so, maybe they'll be using this to track tax dodgers etc too

I make the M8 at:

* Glanmire Bypass, 6 km
    * Watergrasshill Bypass, 13 km
    * Cashel Bypass, 7 km
    * Fermoy Bypass, 17 km
    * Cashel - Mitchelstown, 37 km
    * Cashel - Cullahill, 40 km
    * Mitchelstown - Fermoy, 16 km
    * Cullahill - Portlaoise, 13 km

...to be 149 km long. Is this correct?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So for a cheapskate like me, where do you come off if you're heading for Limerick and don't fancy paying the toll for 10km?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Portlaoise

Tbh there is no real benefit for local traffic from Borris and Rathdowney. They will continue to use the free options.

Haddockman wrote: »
    Tbh there is no real benefit for local traffic from Borris and Rathdowney. They will continue to use the free options.

That in itself is a benefit - the old roads are now better as they are far, far quieter. The benefit is one of improved quality of life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Furet wrote: »
    That in itself is a benefit - the old roads are now better as they are far, far quieter. The benefit is one of improved quality of life.

+1 x 10000000 , and the roads round here have been totally RE SURFACED - and are now in great condition, a real benefit for the suspension on my vehicles.

They need to fix the R433 in Tipperary now. The road from the Laois border to Templemore is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Good to see RTE giving the completion of an Inter-Urban the recognition it deserves. Decent coverage on the news just now, certainly much better than the coverage when the Dublin to Galway Inter-Urban was completed. Reporter: "Red Cow Roundabout" - it's not a roundabout anymore!!!

Road looks really good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Haddockman wrote: »
    They need to fix the R433 in Tipperary now. The road from the Laois border to Templemore is atrocious.

+1, some mess.:(

KevR wrote: »
    Good to see RTE giving the completion of an Inter-Urban the recognition it deserves. Decent coverage on the news just now, certainly much better than the coverage when the Dublin to Galway Inter-Urban was completed. Reporter: "Red Cow Roundabout" - it's not a roundabout anymore!!!

Road looks really good.

Could someone Youtube it? Can't watch it properly in Germany. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I drove from Glanmire to Clonsilla in 15-20 minutes less than the shortest time I've ever driven that journey.

New road ftw! \o/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement