Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

I know the area well, believe me I've seen them, been passed by them. Lunatics! Strangely they never seem to suffer car damage. Just the poor suckers like you and me!

The surface is very bad in places alright but the original poster will make time over going to Two Mile Borris going this way.

However as I said originally he also has Borris in Ossory, Roscrea route.

Again i emphasise drive safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I was in Johnstown today for a period, and its still getting a fair share of HGV's passingh thru and going onto the M8 @ urlingford- I note a lot of the same haulage co's using it namely Toner, Denis J. Downey to name just 2.
    Exit 3 (@manor stone) is quiter tho' for HGV's - there is a few coming off there but no where near as many as there is in Johnstown.

I live in Johnstown and can confirm that there are basically more HGV's on the road than cars now! I used often go for walks or on my bike up to where the Cullahill roundabout was, and the road was much quieter before the new motorway opened. It has ruined our evening walks!

The speed that the HGV's roar through the town is shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

smiddyboy wrote: »
    I live in Johnstown and can confirm that there are basically more HGV's on the road than cars! I used often go for walks or on my bike up to where the Cullahill roundabout was, and the road was much quieter before the new motorway opened. It has ruined our evening walks!

I hear ya......what can be done? Can they BAN them from the Town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Short of sticking a weight restriction on the old road there is nothing that can be done. There has to be a toll free route available. I guess the hauliers won't pay the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I live in Johnstown and can confirm that there are basically more HGV's on the road than cars now! I used often go for walks or on my bike up to where the Cullahill roundabout was, and the road was much quieter before the new motorway opened. It has ruined our evening walks!

I hate to say it but good, that means less grannies plodding along at 90 in the overtaking lane trying to over take a truck

I heard the same about the M1 when it first opened and the HGV drivers did avoid it for a while, but it didnt last more thana couple of months I'd expect the same on the m8

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Stonewolf wrote: »
    They're still carrying on the ridiculous policy of tolling motorbikes. I'll keep on rolling up to the booth, putting it in neutral, taking my gloves off, opening my pocket, fishing the kinder yolk out of my pocket, tipping the change into the persons hand, closing the yolk, putting it back in my pocket, closing the pocket, putting my gloves on, and getting back into gear ...

So, you're the p***** was on the M4 yesterday......! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I hear ya......what can be done? Can they BAN them from the Town?

Presumably the bypassed towns will have new traffic calming measures introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Nuttzz wrote: »
    I heard the same about the M1 when it first opened and the HGV drivers did avoid it for a while, but it didnt last more thana couple of months I'd expect the same on the m8

That's not true, HGV's still roar through Slane and Collon before rejoining the M1 at junction 12 via the R169.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Just a couple of photos I took on the day the road opened. Not as good as the one previously posted.

040.JPG - The old N8 exit now redesignated the N77
    049.JPG - Approach to the Toll Plaza
    051.JPG - The Toll Plaza
    057.JPG - 4km Advance warning for the M8 (There's another one at 2km)
    061.JPG - 1km M8 gantries

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

And some more. Again apologies for some of the quality on these.

062.JPG - VMS welcoming you to Ireland's newest motorway (not as of today!)
    064.JPG - M7/M8 split
    065.JPG - Directional signs for M7/M8 (although if you're on the wrong road here you're really screwed)
    067.JPG - Warning signs about lack of online services (wasn't able to get a clear picture at all of this)
    070.JPG - Exit sign for Abbeyleix/Durrow from the M8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Jayuu wrote: »
    Just a couple of photos I took on the day the road opened. Not as good as the one previously posted.

049.JPG - Approach to the Toll Plaza
    farmerpalmer.gif
    Get orf moi laaaaand!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

...So Rovi - what's it like to be a millionaire......:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

...So Rovi - what's it like to be a millionaire......:D
    I'll let you know when it happens. :D

*runs off to do Lotto*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Haddockman wrote: »
    Short of sticking a weight restriction on the old road there is nothing that can be done. There has to be a toll free route available. I guess the hauliers won't pay the toll.

There is no viable Toll Free route to the port tunnel for truckers from Cork, for example, so maybe something could be done?

Get the town council put a HGV toll on the Main St.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lads som advice if you will,

I am driving home to Limerick tonight, tell me is this viable:

Dublin - Portlaoise - New M8 Bypass - Cashel - Tipp Town - Limerick.

Also should I go the normal route to Limerick is this new bypass taking Mountrath out of the equation as in can I do:

Dublin - Portlaoise - New M8 Bypass - BIO - Roscrea - Nenagh Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Chong wrote: »
    Lads som advice if you will,

I am driving home to Limerick tonight, tell me is this viable:

Dublin - Portlaoise - New M8 Bypass - Cashel - Tipp Town - Limerick.

Also should I go the normal route to Limerick is this new bypass taking Mountrath out of the equation as in can I do:

Dublin - Portlaoise - New M8 Bypass - BIO - Roscrea - Nenagh Limerick

Stick to the M7/N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes, the new stretch of the M7 bypasses Mountrath and will bring you to Borris-In-Ossory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Furet wrote: »
    Stick to the M7/N7.
    You reckon, I was just thinking I would be on Motorway from Portlaoise to Cashel and might save some time? Especially for the weekend and traffic thats in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Chong wrote: »
    You reckon, I was just thinking I would be on Motorway from Portlaoise to Cashel and might save some time? Especially for the weekend and traffic thats in it?

You'll fly down to Cashel in no time at all, but on the N74 you'll average about 75 km/h, then you'll have to go slow through Tipp town, and the N24 isn't the best road at all to be honest. I'd say it would take you 15 to 20 mins longer. It might make a nice detour I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

In the year 2005 there was pay as you go toll scheme for lorries on Autobahns introduced in Germany.
    At first many many lorries dodged this toll by using federal roads. That caused chaos in many towns.

Lorries were not allowed on these national roads. Only exception was for lorries making local deliveries and collections.
    Some of the Bundesstrassen were also made toll roads for lorries.

Legislation: Allow these HGVs to use non motorway roads only when they have to for local deliveries, but at no other time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LKW-MAUT

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lkw-Maut_in_Deutschland

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

In the english Wikipedia article about "toll collect" for HGVs in Germany, there is little information about the regulation about lorries having to use the Autobahn.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lkw-Maut_in_Deutschland[/QUOTE]

Ausweichverkehr
    In einigen Fällen kam es seit Einführung der Maut zu deutlichen Verkehrsverlagerungen von Autobahnen auf nachrangige Straßen, insbesondere Bundesstraßen. Da dies wegen der mit dem Verkehr verbundenen Belastungen unerwünscht ist, sind in konkreten Fällen folgende Gegenmaßnahmen möglich:

Ausweitung der Maut auf genau bezeichnete Abschnitte von Bundesstraßen
    Durchfahrverbote für mautpflichtige Lkw, auch mit zeitlicher Beschränkung (Nachtfahrverbot), wobei Ausnahmen für Anlieger möglich sind

Traffic evading tolls
    In certain cases the introduction of the Autobahn toll resulted in traffic switching to to neighbouring roads, especially Bundesstrassen / federal roads. As this along with the accompanying loading is not desirable, the following counter measures were taken:

Extending the toll onto exactly specified sections of federal roads.
    Ban on toll liable lorries, along with a ban on night driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 lartsa

Johnstown was in an unusual situation in that it was always going to get more traffic when the motorway was complete,
    for instance all the lorry traffic to / from Glanbia Ballyragget and North Tipp Cork/ West Waterford etc would have used the temporary access at Cullahill and bypassed Johnstown,
    but now they use the Urlingford junction and they are back travelling thru Johnstown. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Used it for the first time today. 2h45m from Newlands to Dunkettle, leaving Newlands at 545pm on a Bank Holiday weekend. Probably wasted about 30 mins on the Naas Road going at 30kmh from junction 4 to 12, absolute nightmare but when 3 lanes of traffic are crawling the left lane moves about 3x the speed of the other 2. Thank you Irish drivers for being outer lane hogs. And I had a pee break in Horse & Jockey.

I actually didnt believe people when they said "the M7/8 is bumpy", I thought back to Cashel - Mitchelstown which some said was a bit wavy but I had no problem with. But by god, from Portlaoise to the tollbooth is an absolute rollercoaster. From there to the split isnt much better but the M8 part wasnt too bad. Its my least favourite section of motorway of them all. Also, has anyone else that has driven it found it very very narrow? Seems narrower than other schemes for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Drove from Milltown, Dublin to Mitchelstown in 1hr45 yesterday at 8pm. Agree it is the worst part of the road, and quite bumpy.
    Came back up the road today and detoured via Rathdowney to get onto the M7 leg, getting stuck behind a gravel lorry. M7 sectiojn unremarkable, suprrised at no advance warning of M8 merge.

Btw there is a sign like this one at the start of the M7 at Naas,

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/315073/115954.JPG

indicating lack of services and km distances to off line services. Not very effective without a km based junctioning system. I think it also lists the M9 services as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Bards wrote: »
    NRA have issued a scheme Brochure prior to the opening tomorrow

http://www.nra.ie/RepositoryforPublicationsInfo/file,17185,en.pdf

for those of you interested in brown tourist info signs, the # on exit 3 means 'property of english heritage' (referring to durrow castle i presume?). first time i have seen the symbol.
    :)

went for a spin down the m7 and m8 this afternoon. lovely drive. very happy with the finish. only thing i noticed was the tight space approaching the toll plaza eastbound. i had to veer off quickly to the left to pay by cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Just did Curragh-Cork via M8. The new section is most visible to me for its narrowness southbound, after the toll. feels very constricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I'm heading up on the M7 section hopefully on friday, will give a full report on the new section at the weekend and maybe some pics.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Just did Curragh-Cork via M8. The new section is most visible to me for its narrowness southbound, after the toll. feels very constricted.

could be to do with the high fencing and barriers at the side contributing to a narrow alignment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement