Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Furet wrote: »
    I'm not liking the above image. Shades of the M6 metal barrier there. I'm going to contact the NRA about this.

Not sure what you mean by this? All I can see is the tensioning cable for the inside of a concrete step barrier there...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

MYOB wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by this? All I can see is the tensioning cable for the inside of a concrete step barrier there...

Im unsure also what is meant by FURET. I can see the gap between carraigeways is left for the concrete safety barrier which runs the entire length of the finished sections of the M7 and M8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Sorry for the ambiguity guys.
    The photo I posted looks exactly like a lot of Kaizer's and KevR's earlier picures of the M6. At the time, we wondered why there was a gap between the two CBM streams. We thought that this might be for a wide median central reservation, but actually, on M6 Athlone-Ballonasloe for instance, the gap was left because a metal barrier would later be installed rather than the now familiar concrete barrier.
    On all of the M8 and M9 schemes that we have photos of, no gap was left between the CBM during construction, and a concrete barrier was ultimately installed.
    Basically, I'm worried because it looks like the M7/M8 will be getting a metal barrier rather than a concrete one. I am perfectly happy to be corrected on this, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is what seriously looks like tensioning wires for a step barrier towards the bottom of that picture (I spent enough time driving alongside them laying it on the Lucan Bypass upgrade scheme...) so I think your fears are unfounded.

anyway is that not the first layer of asphalt with the gap rather than the CBM? The CBM appears to be laid solidly across beneath it...

Those wires and poles don't have anything to do with the barrier at this stage - they seem to show the centre of the mainline more than anything else. This is the M-F scheme with one CBM stream plus asphalt down:

3263324085_f845bebf8c.jpg

Now, here is the same position receiving the other CBM carriageway:
    3277001358_fdf623a49e.jpg

As you can see, no gap was left between the two CBM streams, both were fused, and the metal poles were removed, and reinstalled again with tensioning wire at a later date when the barrier was being installed.

I'm certain that that is just CBM on the M7 photo posted upthread. The tell-tale sign is the faint horizontal lines in the surface. These are also visible in the CBM photo above if you look very closely.

The CBM is given a black asphalt-like appearance when it is sprayed with a water-proofing substance:

I don't understand why a gap has been left between the two CBM stretches in Moose's photo - like I sad though, we've seen it before, in Kev's and Kaiser's photos. And there the gap was left to facilitate the later installation of a metal barrier.

Now, I actually want to be wrong on this point. I've posted the above photos and video merely to explain why I have this suspicion. I will email the NRA tomorrow and ask them directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Considering existing sections of the M7 have a concerete barrier it would stand to reason the entire stretch will also have this.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/quirke/?action=view&current=Nenagh-Limerick-1.flv

Dalys Cross area

Nenagh-Limerick.jpg

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/quirke/?action=view&current=Nenagh-Limerick2-1.flv

One would think and hope so, but the M6, which also has a concrete barrier from Kilbeggan to Athlone, will have a metal barrier from Athlone to Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I emailed the NRA last week asking what their reasons were for deciding to go with a metal barrier on the Athlone-Ballinasloe scheme and if they are planning on using metal for Galway-Ballinasloe like I suspect. Still waiting to hear back but will post in the M6 thread as soon as I do.

I don't understand why they would use metal at all. It's not as safe, it has a life span of only 20 years (as opposed to 50 years for concrete), and requires a good deal more maintainence. It might cost less initially but over a 50 year period will cost a lot more.

Gone a bit off-topic there, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

If its cheaper initially (regardless of longterm cost) it'll be done due to Cutback Mania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

KevR wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear back but will post in the M6 thread as soon as I do.

I e-mailed them in December and didn't get a response.
    I e-mailed them in March and didn't get a response.

It's a lucky dip job I'm afraid... don't expect a reply if your question is too testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

KevR wrote: »
    I emailed the NRA last week asking what their reasons were for deciding to go with a metal barrier on the Athlone-Ballinasloe scheme and if they are planning on using metal for Galway-Ballinasloe like I suspect. Still waiting to hear back but will post in the M6 thread as soon as I do.

I don't understand why they would use metal at all. It's not as safe, it has a life span of only 20 years (as opposed to 50 years for concrete), and requires a good deal more maintainence. It might cost less initially but over a 50 year period will cost a lot more.

Gone a bit off-topic there, sorry.

New thread...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60296249#post60296249

What are your opinions on the NRA's new metal barrier tendencies, Blunt?

Actually, if you're going to reply we should indeed take this discussion over to greenjesus's new thread.

These were taken from what will be the third overbridge on the new M8 as you head north.

Looking south:
    DSCF1791.jpg

Looking south:
    DSCF1798.jpg

Looking north:
    DSCF1794.jpg

Looking north:
    DSCF1795.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

I suppose they have a lot more done than I actually thought.

Will be main focus of attention be on this section now after the Monday opening?

Well, in terms of construction this scheme has nothing to do with M-F, so I can't see any additional machines or equipment being sent north to Cullahill. Perhaps, though, some of the M-F crews will be sent to parts of the M9.

As for boards.ie coverage, I can only speak for myself. I will visit the site once more before the end of June for a good look, and after that I'm done.
    I hope that Rovi, dannym08 and maybe larryone will continue to provide periodic updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Well, in terms of construction this scheme has nothing to do with M-F, so I can't see any additional machines or equipment being sent north to Cullahill. Perhaps, though, some of the M-F crews will be sent to parts of the M9.

As for boards.ie coverage, I can only speak for myself. I will visit the site once more before the end of June for a good look, and after that I'm done.
    I hope that Rovi, dannym08 and maybe larryone will continue to provide periodic updates.

Im not up on the construction side of things, I just assumed that it was all the 1 crowd working on both of them :(

Thanks again for all the pics Furet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

any one know how this job is going used to work on it but we were all let go at easter i heard that there wasnt alot happening on it since any one got any updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

hi_sir wrote: »
    any one know how this job is going used to work on it but we were all let go at easter i heard that there wasnt alot happening on it since any one got any updates

No but looking at heading down to this scheme sometime during the summer. All I know at the moment is the R434 crosses over both the M7 and M8 mainlines. Apart from that I'll be lost looking for an overbridge.

Anyone know is there interactive maps of this or knowledge of the where the overbridges are?

Looking from the previous photos its definately not behind schedule. Nenagh-Castletown is a lot lot worse than this scheme.

I'm going to head up there this afternoon for a gawk. I'll upload photos from the first M8 overbridge, the structure west of Cullahill, and from the R434. Stand by.

• Advertisement

Very little has been done on the M8 from west of Cullahill village to the Cullahill roundabout since my last visit. But then...

The M8 mainline just west of Ballacolla off the R434 looking north:
    M8mainlinewestofBallacolla.jpg

The M8 R434 overbridge:
    M8R434obridge.jpg

The view south from that overbridge:
    M8westofBallacolla.jpg

The same image enlarged:
    M8westofBallacollalookingsouth.jpg

The view north from the (under construction) R434 overbridge:
    M8crossingR434.jpg

Another shot of the M8 mainline lookin' north passing under the M7 in the distance (I think):
    M8mainlinetowardsDublin.jpg

The M7 R434 overbridge, not yet open but almost ready:
    M7R434obridgenearlyready.jpg

M7 mainline looking north from that overbridge:
    M7mainlinefromR434obridge.jpg

And the M7 mainline looking south from the same bridge:
    M7atR434lookingsouth.jpg

Surprising amount of progress :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Great pics as usual Furet :D

I presume that section has been the most concentrated part as there is so much construction involved.

Your prediction of Q3 next year seems about right looking at the progress they have made since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

This scheme really has picked up! Excellent to see! :D

Doesn't surprise me one bit that not much progress has been made from the cullahill roundabout... the tie-in is going to be a bit of a mess, so not surprising they'd leave it 'til last.

They seem to be prepping several of the M8 overbridges for surfacing. Many (including the gigantic first one south of Cullahill) have kerbs installed for what will eventually be the footpath. I have to point out that I have no idea what the rest of the scheme is like; since March I have only seen bits of the M8 leg from Cullahill to the R434. After that, the scheme becomes labyrinthine and it's all too easy to get lost on the winding back roads. Rovi will probably post a much more detailed update in due course.

But I will say this - (1) it's apparent that the scheme is extremely varied in terms of progress, and (2) it seems to me like the M8 leg is receiving the most attention at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

that's all good signs of progress alright.
    But we now know 2 reasons why you were gonna give up your car, and the second was Juliet's boyfriend...

That first pic of west of Ballycolla, Is that the layer that will be just below wearing course? it looks like asphalt, whereas where the bridge with the car is parked, it looks more like tarmac which will get another tarmac wearing layer.

( I'm sure there's technical names for these substances, but I dunno them.)

that's all good signs of progress alright.
    But we now know 2 reasons why you were gonna give up your car, and the second was Juliet's boyfriend...

I have given up my car - I borrowed my friend's Alfa Romeo today ;)
    That first pic of west of Ballycolla, Is that the layer that will be just below wearing course? it looks like asphalt, whereas where the bridge with the car is parked, it looks more like tarmac which will get another tarmac wearing layer.

The first picture is the second-last layer. Only one more layer - the surface or 'wearing course' - to go there!

The surface on which the red car is parked is the final surface on that bridge. It just needs lines and to be connected properly to the R434.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Those are great shots Furet.:cool: I think from your photos that it's evident that the M7/M8 scheme has made a lot of progress lately and will probably open next Summer. If progress is more evident on the M8 leg of the scheme as you suggest, could it mean that it will initially open as Portlaoise to Culahill only and the M7 leg west to Borris-in-Ossory will open somewhat later? I don't think Limerick bound motorists would be too happy with that!:D

I also see from one of your photos the M7/M8 fork junction merge structure is now essentially in place.:) It looks to me like a carbon copy of the arrangements at the M4/M6 merge at Kinnegad.

Why is it that in Ireland, we merge our motorways via an underbridge with the branch coming off the median of the "parent" motorway rather than in the UK where merges usually involve an overbridge and the "daughter" motorway merges off the side of the parent motorway?

The view north from the (under construction) R434 overbridge:
    M8crossingR434.jpg

Looks like parts of this will be a runway which is good :D Tho this pic worries me a bit. Unless its really zoomed in, then its going to be a bit of a blind dip this is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

The M7/M8 will have to open all as one on the same day.No route for southbound traffic heading to Limerick to go.no junction where the current M7 ends.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement