Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports 3 Scrapes Bottom of the Barrel

• 28-07-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Maybe this should be in the Television forum, however, I'll continue.

Sky Sports 3 reached a low ebb in it's base enough existence this evening. There I was flicking through the channels trying to give something for my eyes to do as I downed my mug of tea -and I come to Sky Sports 3. What are they showing only Bobby Robson and Friends Golf Classic in the South of Spain. It was the weirdest coverage of any golf tournament I've seen. They had a mic attached to Sir Bobby, and they'd zoom in on him, so you'd hear him say 'Good shot Andy (Townsend)' etc. Pat Jennings missed a sitter of a putt.

Who are they aiming this sort of tripe at? The standard of golf seemed pretty poor. Thankfully The Soccer Show was on RTE and Cobh Ramblers v Sunderland on Setanta so I didn't have to spend too long watching it. I'd just love to know their viewership figures for this sort of thing, was it really worth their while sending a TV crew out to it? Football Masters is one thing, where you have former footballers doing the thing they once used to do professionally, but washed up ex-pros playing golf on live (and expensive subscription) TV was a bit of a joke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah agreed.....on a sort of related topic I hate football/golf culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Setanta are starting to hurt them.

Look at hat two boys from Dublin, in apub in London, have done is so little time.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I'd just love to know their viewership figures for this sort of thing, was it really worth their while sending a TV crew out to it? Football Masters is one thing, where you have former footballers doing the thing they once used to do professionally, but washed up ex-pros playing golf on live (and expensive subscription) TV was a bit of a joke.
    So why the **** are you paying for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I always cancel my Sky Sports for the summer for this very reason. That being said, it is not much better during August - May. If Setanta got the rights for La Liga I would cancel Sky for good. Most certainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Summer hell as pointed out above - OAP Soccer etc!

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Bizarrely, they've been showing the indoors OAP football over here in Canada (on North American Setanta), as well as beach soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This is the norm for the summer months on Sky Sports. Granted it is **** but nobody is forcing you to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Setanta< Sky.

Setanta get good games but their coverage is absolutely woeful. PLus they are the most difficult people to deal with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Im sure sky donated to bobby robsons charity to show the coverage. They have shown that event for the last few years. Bobby Robson has done great work for charities and is a great man himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

didnt they have the dj spoony golf classic on at some point as well?

• Advertisement

Alan Smith wrote: »
    Setanta< Sky.

Setanta get good games but their coverage is absolutely woeful. PLus they are the most difficult people to deal with.

Setanta are a new orginisation, they came from showing Leinster underage hurling, to the Prem league in a year.

Of course they have a lot to go.
    But when you look at how much of the market they've taken in such a small time it's amazing.

Half the Premier League
    Seria A
    Erdivision
    Ligue 1
    The FA Cup
    Champions League Games
    Ireland Internationals
    UFC
    Most of the American boxing
    US PGA
    Formula 1
    etc
    etc
    etc

They're the first serious competition Sky have ever had, and they're half (or a little over) the price!
    The also have all of the team channels bar ManUTV.
    (LFCTV, Chelsea TV, Arsenal TV, Celtic TV, Rangers TV etc)

And if you find them hard to deal with, then don't.
    You can get setanta directly through either SKy or Chorus/NTL.
    You don't even have to talk to Setantsa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Does LFCtv etc show live games on them, or are they merely propaganda channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote: »

They can't show live, meaningful first team games.

So like MUTV, Chelsea TV, Celtic TV, Rangers TV and The Pat Dolan Half Hour, they are self-serving propaganda.

They can show all games after about a 4-5 hour delay.
    They also show the reserve and some underage games.

Mostly it is just propeganda, but you do tend to have a lot to interest you if you're a fan.

LFCTV for instance show a lot of old games from the 80's 90's so the nostalgia eliment is good.
    I'm sure the rest are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Setanta are a new orginisation, they came from showing Leinster underage hurling, to the Prem league in a year.

But when you look at how much of the market they've taken in such a small time it's amazing.

Half the Premier League
    Seria A
    Erdivision
    Ligue 1
    The FA Cup
    Champions League Games
    Ireland Internationals
    UFC
    US PGA
    Formula 1
    etc
    etc
    etc

They're the first serious competition Sky have ever had, and they're half (or a little over) the price!

Did they get Serie A back? Haven't show that in 2 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i could be wrong but i think sky are getting us pga golf back when the current deal is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Half the Premier League
    Seria A
    Erdivision
    Ligue 1
    The FA Cup
    Champions League Games
    Ireland Internationals
    UFC
    US PGA
    Formula 1
    etc
    etc
    etc

I have sky but ad to deal with Setanta directl to get it turned on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Setanta got the rights for La Liga I would cancel Sky for good. Most certainly.
    Is English football and la liga the only major thing Sky have rights for now? They both show premiership. Sky show the lower English leagues with Setanta showing the conference. Sky share rights for Carling cup. Setanta share rights for FA cup. Setanta show Irish, Scottish, Germany, French, Dutch and Portuguese. They've tons of internationals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Cobh Ramblers v Sunderland on Setanta
    that sounds worse :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Had to laugh at BBC's coverage of the British Open golf lately. When the weather stopped play and because the BBC can't simply cut to adverts they sent one of their guys around with a camera crew to see how the holes are moved from day to day on the greens.

Involved in this proocess is spraying the new hole white, with 3 coats of paint, 30 seconds between each coat.........yep thats right, they broadcast 90 full seconds of paint drying :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sky have always been too reliant on football. This always happens in the summer months. I never understood why Sky never bought up the rugby market. That's where Setanta is making a killing.

Advertisement