Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router/Wireless/Network Q's

Options
  • 29-07-2008 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭

Alrighty thinking of updating and Changing the network I have here in the house, I have a philips starter kinda router/usb dongle kit thing and its being acting up lately and needs an update i think since a lot more is on the network since i got it.. its a 54mbps and range kinda sucks.

21ORZixYk%2BL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Stuff using the connection...

Desktop - computer in the middle of the house beside where the printer and the router/LAN is located) ...just connects via ethernet cable to the router easy peasy... and the router is in a good location.

Wii, about 20m away simple enough connection maybe a closed door obstructing it at most

Laptop used anywhere within a radius of about 30m + upstairs/outside where a wall or 2 may be in the way

Desktop 2 in my room here upstairs about 15m from the router point to the point with the usb dongle, probably the connection used the most and theres maybe a wall or 2 in the way... + it shares the connection it recieves wireless via ICS with an xbox360 hooked to it via ethernet cable, so its 2 connections on one wifi dongle which isnt the most reliable, i know i shud try n get a better connection for the xbox but its just cheap and handy this way

+ There all almost never ever being all used at the same time ^^

So thats whats using the router anyways, So's i was wondering is getting a new router the best thing for this, If so what one!? I heard good things about some of the d-links and linksys but still not sure which ones best for my situation

+ is using a PCI wireless network card much more reliable and better than a usb dongle? i have a pretty big airstation Buffalo antena i could attach to the antena from a wireless network card, Or even to the router to boost performance,

Or if anyone has any other network suggestions that might be usefull feel free to say but yeah, thats tha Q's i think i wanted to ask, i had more before i started typing but forgot... :|

oh and its a 2mb connection upload/download

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 da langer

im using 3 as my internet provider now im living in the sticks and the signal is crap, fair enought when im in town is great fast and realyable, hears my problem when im up stairs i get 2 bars of signal thats fine but is when im down stairs is the problem little or no signal. waving the modem(3 dongle) around the sitting room it a hit and miss to get connected, what im trying to do and trying to find if someone out there knows is there a device i could use upstairs using my little 3 usb dongle, where the signal is better to be transmitted around the house, wireless routers dont work with my 3 dongle, all i can find out there is phoneline and cable routers, these are no good, help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement