Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music to fall asleep to...any ideas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

lordgoat wrote: »
    Burial Untrue

I can imagine this kind of stuff doing the trick alright. Not for me though, I can't stand the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

I always find Mercury Rev albums are normally my chosen tunes for snooze espically Deserter's Songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I fell asleep listening to Test Icicles- For Screening Purposes Only the other night.
    No mean feat. I must have had a few sleeping pills before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

yep I forgot to mention Mogwai Zidane soundtrack on my original list, its class, just got it recently

Zavvi sale ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

john martyn.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    the knife

Jinx :)
    I see The Knife mentioned here a few times, must check em out...for some reason they sound familiar but i cant place where ive heard of them...

The Knife are great - brother and sister duo from Sweden. José Gonzalez did a cover of Heartbeats which you might be familiar with as it was on that Sony HDTV ad with all the bouncy balls. They're very good friends. Karin from The Knife is also featured on one of the Royksopps's tracks, "What Else Is There?"

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Ekels wrote: »
    The Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

Jesus, you can sleep through yoshimi battles the pink robots, part 2?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

ahaaha wrote: »
    john martyn.....

+1 and if you can get your ears around some Matthew Santos, kinda john martyn/jeff buckley style voice. Very relaxing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

Explosions in the Sky, fantastic band. They'll make chilling out feel like you should be thinking about life, love and everthing in between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn2CwzhD8W0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I would recommend some Boards Of Canada, Burial, Air and Zero 7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Aspiration wrote: »
    Jinx :)

The Knife are great - brother and sister duo from Sweden. José Gonzalez did a cover of Heartbeats which you might be familiar with as it was on that Sony HDTV ad with all the bouncy balls. They're very good friends. Karin from The Knife is also featured on one of the Royksopps's tracks, "What Else Is There?"

Ah yeah now that rings a bell, love Jose Gonzales first CD didnt realise that song was a cover version....anybody like that band Talk Talk? Not their early 80s new romantic stuff, their later chill-out ambient stuff is really good....

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Talk Talk are excellent, the two later albums being Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock - amazing albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Portishead- Third

Are you mad man!!?? 'Magic Doors' starts with the sound of a high pitched test signal for one!!!

Great album, but not relaxing by any means :)

I'd suggest either of David Kitt's first two albums....really nice to listen to in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Brad Goodman

I Went To Sleep by the Beach Boys is a beautifully chilled piece of music plus it ties in with the whole sleeping theme!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yeah Jose Gonzalez is good for night time.
    Sift through DJ Shadow albums to find chilled out.
    Also been listening to Fink lately,chilled acoustic similar to Jose.He's playing EP too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Ventill/Poki by Strafaenn Hakon
    Neroli by Brian Eno
    The first half of The Sea and the Bells album by Rachel's

Twenty Two Fourteen by the Album Leaf
    Pauvre Simon by Sylvain Chauveau

Hanne Hukkelberg has a sound that is good both to fall asleep and wake up to.

Harold Budd

agree with whoever said DJ Shadow. nice metronomic tempos really good to chill you out.

Bach is a favourite of mine for when I'm in bed. not because I want to fall asleep tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Enigma, Porcupine Tree, Explosions in the Sky all work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Y'know that toilet roll add with everyone falling into the bog roll? What is that song!

do do do do-do
    do do do do-do

It's so satisfying and sleepifying...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Lullatone - Plays Pajama Pop Pour Vous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭The Everlasting

any joy division

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Are you mad man!!?? 'Magic Doors' starts with the sound of a high pitched test signal for one!!!

Great album, but not relaxing by any means :)

I'd suggest either of David Kitt's first two albums....really nice to listen to in bed.

d00d. Some of the songs on Third are amazingly chillaxing. You've just got to filter out some of the harsher sounding songs and then you've got one damn fine relaxing album on your hands.

EDIT: oops! I was thinking of Dummy, not Third, doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I fell asleep listening to Test Icicles- For Screening Purposes Only the other night.
    No mean feat. I must have had a few sleeping pills before hand.

I'm afraid I can one up you on this one. I managed to fall asleep standing next to a speaker twice the height of me pumping pure drum and bass into my earholes. Yep, it was THAT boring.:)

I had a rather frenetic dream though which more than made up for it...

As well, regarding sleeping pills, has anyone ever taken them and then try really really hard to stay awake? Great craic altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AbitDramatic

I went through a stage of falling asleep to
    "Fade To Black"- Metallica
    and "knocking on Heavens Door"
    Then again these day's I'm falling asleep to my Jimmy Eat World Cd's on shuffle....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Adore - Smashing Pumpkins
    Air - Moon Safari
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
    Nina Simone - Blue for You
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (accept the beginning of 'Time';))
    Classic Experience II, disc one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Burial - Untrue is good.

And I put a mix together a few weeks ago, especially for falling asleep: http://www.last.fm/user/plazzTT/journal/2008/07/07/222xol_sleep_mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Music for Airports by Brian Eno
    This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭dave.omeara

Have to agree with other people and say Zero 7.

Havn't heard Brian Eno but will be looking for a few cd's in the near future.

I'd say try The Jimmy Cake's latest album as well. Only got it recently but I think you might be interested in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Oh, and Shpongle, lots of Shpongle:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

IanCurtis wrote: »

Good call.
    Songs from Hope Street, or whatever the album's called with that on it is a fantastic relaxing album.
    And, also, a brilliant sex album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Good call.
    Songs from Hope Street, or whatever the album's called with that on it is a fantastic relaxing album.
    And, also, a brilliant sex album.

yeah,ah that album brings back memories,good album to ease the girlfriend into music a little less charty.

Ya gotta have de shpongle.love that name!

Advertisement