Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players and their "fan" clubs

• 29-07-2008 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

It is clear a large chunk of the buzz behind Keanes signing is that he has always supported Liverpool. tbh it seems relatively rare for many footballers or managers to actually comment on their favourite team through their life. Like, presumably Fergie is a Gers fan (assuming his surname didnt originate in Ireland like alot of Celtic fans, may be mistaken of course) but Ive never heard him comment on it. Is there any website that has a collection of them? Would be interesting re where players might want to end their careers.

All I can think of from my head from EPL and SPL (excluding the likes of Gerrard, Rooney or Giggs whos youth allegiance is well known):

Carragher is an Everton fan IIRC.
    James McFadden: Celtic
    Les Ferdinand: Spurs
    Lampards dad played for West Ham and he got his start there I think, so it would be his likely one.
    Nearly certain Kevin Doyle said Man U (though a good player obviously not yet of the calibre to join them.)
    Roy Keane: Celtic
    Fairly sure Ian Wright is a lifelong Arsenal fan. As was Ashley Cole (actually, scratch that one :) )
    Joey Barton: Everton
    Lee Carsley is possibly a B`ham City fan. From the area I think and was well pleased with his move

Think of many others? Obviously 99% of players out there followed a team, but it is something alot keep on the hush. Any reason why they largely keep it hidden?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Arent Wes Brown and John O'Shea Liverpool fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Damien Duff, Shay Given and Stephen Carr support Celtic.

Stephen Hunt is a Celtic fan as well.

I seriously doubt any of them were actually that bothered by Celtic in their younger days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Melion wrote: »
    Arent Wes Brown and John O'Shea Liverpool fans?

Brown is from Manchester and has been associated with united since his early teens hasnt he?

Seems unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Solskjear was a Liverpool fan as well, was actually a fully paid up member of the norweigen (or wherever he is from) fanclub until he went to OT.

and carragher is not an everton fan, he was at a very very young age. considering he went to Liverpool when he was about 10 you cant imagine that fan thing disappeared fairly sharpish! he is on record as hating them as much as the most red scousers. thank god ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Wasn't there a photo of gerrard in a everton jersey as a youngster a while back? could have been carragher actually

• Advertisement

no it was gerrard.

he was never an Everton fan though, he was very young in it, about 6-7 and his uncle dressed him up in it and brought him to Goodison to piss off his aul fella.

doesnt stop the bitters rolling it out every derby though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Mr Alan wrote: »
    no it was gerrard.

he was never an Everton fan though, he was very young in it, about 6-7 and his uncle dressed him up in it and brought him to Goodison to piss off his aul fella.

doesnt stop the bitters rolling it out every derby though :rolleyes:

Whatever about the other two I'm fairly sure Owen was an Everton fan .

WE normally here the lifelong fan/boyhood fan stuff when a player signs for a club . Sometimes it's true, but mainly it's just talk to try and get the fans on their side .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

and carragher is not an everton fan, he was at a very very young age. considering he went to Liverpool when he was about 10 you cant imagine that fan thing disappeared fairly sharpish! he is on record as hating them as much as the most red scousers. thank god ;)
    Didn't Rooney show up at a Liverpool trial in an Everton kit?
    Big Ears wrote: »
    Whatever about the other two I'm fairly sure Owen was an Everton fan.
    I'm pretty sure Fowler and McMananam were too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Steven Gerrard
    n790240000_2008930_3548.jpg:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

shane86 wrote: »
    Obviously 99% of players out there followed a team, but it is something alot keep on the hush. Any reason why they largely keep it hidden?

They keep it hush because its not a nice way to get the fans on your side if you are playing for Liverpool and come out on Sky Sports and say "Ahh sure I was a United fan all my life" Majority of fans wouldn't take to kindly to that. Me on the other hand, if he plays well for us, I couldn't give 2 f's who he supports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Brown is from Manchester and has been associated with united since his early teens hasnt he?

Seems unlikely.

Wes Orange was actually a City fan before he joined the United youth academy I'm almost certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

If I remember rightly, Frank Lampard doesn't like West Ham anymore, because of how the fans treated him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Did i not read in Roy Keanes manifesto that he was a Spurs Fan as a kid?, though plenty Norries love Celtic so he probably had some allegiance to them.

Ashley Young is an Arsenal fan i read somewhere on the Internet, posssibly the Villa thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Did i not read in Roy Keanes manifesto that he was a Spurs Fan as a kid?, though plenty Norries love Celtic so he probably had some allegiance to them.

I believe he was too, a big fan of Hoddle apparently .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Scholes and Oldham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

I cant remember were i heard that Mr JT was a Man united fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Denis Bergkamp was named after denis Law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

hussey wrote: »
    Denis Bergkamp was named after denis Law

But, he has two "n"'s in his name.

Because Denis in Dutch is Day-nis, and his father wanted people to call him Denis, after Denis Law,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wes Orange was actually a City fan before he joined the United youth academy I'm almost certain.

My cousin knows Wes and told me before that this was the case. He's a City fan too, so I never knew whether to take it with a pinch of salt.

Think I read before that Richie Dunne said he'd like to play for Shamrock Rovers when he finishes in England. Could have been just saying this because he's from Killinarden though. :)

I thought this thread was going to be about The Mr. Alan Fernando Torres Appreciation Society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i dont know how much of what robbie keane sayd we can believe, i mean he has always dreamt to play for liverpool in the same way that he always dreamt of winning the carling cup as a kid?!?! just the announcement to make the fans happy (and he should do)

actually with Keane its not just the usual ****e.

Is it that hard to believe a lad from Dublin grew up as a Liverpool fan?

there is pics of him in the old clubhouse in Crumlin in his Liverpool kit as a kid. And the front of the Mirror today has him as a kid in a Liverpool scarf.

I'm usually sceptical of people saying they support the club they join, but in Keanes case, its been well known for years that he supports Liverpool.

Ronnie Whelan was a Utd fan as well btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Kenny Miller supports Rangers, sorry Celtic...I mean Rangers...or is it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ian Rush was an Everton fan. Kenny Daglish was a big Rangers fan until they turned him down and he signed for Celtic ended up ripping off the Rangers posters on his wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Jason Macateer was a boyhood Liverpool fan.
    Ray Houghton was a Celtic fan IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

It is clear a large chunk of the buzz behind Keanes signing is that he has always supported Liverpool. tbh it seems relatively rare for many footballers or managers to actually comment on their favourite team through their life. Like, presumably Fergie is a Gers fan (assuming his surname didnt originate in Ireland like alot of Celtic fans, may be mistaken of course) but Ive never heard him comment on it. Is there any website that has a collection of them? Would be interesting re where players might want to end their careers.

All I can think of from my head from EPL and SPL (excluding the likes of Gerrard, Rooney or Giggs whos youth allegiance is well known):

Lampards dad played for West Ham and he got his start there I think, so it would be his likely one.
    Nearly certain Kevin Doyle said Man U (though a good player obviously not yet of the calibre to join them.)
    Fairly sure Ian Wright is a lifelong Arsenal fan. As was Ashley Cole (actually, scratch that one :) )
    Lee Carsley is possibly a B`ham City fan. From the area I think and was well pleased with his move

Think of many others? Obviously 99% of players out there followed a team, but it is something alot keep on the hush. Any reason why they largely keep it hidden?

I don't believe this .. but I heard John Terry was a Man United fan as a boy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i think micah richards is an arsenal fan, read than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

jackdaw wrote: »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/may/07/newsstory.sport6
    And you weren't a Chelsea supporter ...

No, I was Man Utd growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

jackdaw wrote: »

Well he grew up in London :p

• Advertisement

Well he grew up in London :p

There are fans of Manchester United from further away from Old Trafford than London.

There are fans of Liverpool from huge distances from Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

anelka was a <insert current interested party> growing up!! FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

actually with Keane its not just the usual ****e.

Is it that hard to believe a lad from Dublin grew up as a Liverpool fan?

there is pics of him in the old clubhouse in Crumlin in his Liverpool kit as a kid. And the front of the Mirror today has him as a kid in a Liverpool scarf.

I'm usually sceptical of people saying they support the club they join, but in Keanes case, its been well known for years that he supports Liverpool.

Ronnie Whelan was a Utd fan as well btw.

This fandom was just an excuse to be able to move easier , I've no doubt he was a fan in his youth , but I doubt he would have turned down a move to Manchester United on account of it somehow, The same as the vast vast majority of players would play for any club that would pay them enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Des wrote: »
    There are fans of Liverpool from huge distances from Anfield.

Some not as far as you'd think though. My bedroom is 140.5 miles from the centre circle of Anfield. I could drive it in 2 hours comfortably were it not for the pesky water.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think i remember hearing that the nicest guy in football was a big liverpool fan and that he got into an argument with an everton fan pre-season a few years ago that ended with barton stubbing out a cigar in someones face, i could be wrong though.

gustavo wrote: »
    This fandom was just an excuse to be able to move easier , I've no doubt he was a fan in his youth , but I doubt he would have turned down a move to Manchester United on account of it somehow

complete bull****.

his fandom wasnt an excuse for the move. long before the move was even a possibility he openly talked about how he was not a Liverpool fan, but in fact a Liverpool fanatic. always has been, always will be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

complete bull****.

his fandom wasnt an excuse for the move. long before the move was even a possibility he openly talked about how he was not a Liverpool fan, but in fact a Liverpool fanatic. always has been, always will be.

Agreed.

There's nothing like abject fandom for making people act stupidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Cristiano Ronaldo supported Benfica as a child. However Im sure most of that affection has now been lost given their reception of him as a Sporting player.

Paul Scholes
    was a boyhood Oldham fan.

Nani supported FC Porto as a kid.

stovelid wrote: »
    There's nothing like abject fandom for making people act stupidly.

who you tellin'! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

carlop wrote: »
    I think i remember hearing that the nicest guy in football was a big liverpool fan and that he got into an argument with an everton fan pre-season a few years ago that ended with barton stubbing out a cigar in someones face, i could be wrong though.

IIRC the cigar incident happened at a Man City christmas party. The Everton fan was attacked in a pre season trip in Thailand or thereabouts.

The allegiance of the fan he attacked is irrelevant, Barton could get into a fight with himself in the mirror. :)

Fairly sure around the time it became apparent he was getting the boot from MC there was talk Everton was his dream club.

This may seem a stupid question but every English person Ive ever met supported a prem team (or a team that dipped between c`ship and prem regularly), bar one lad from norf landan who supported Watford all his life (and its been a while but I think he had an Arsenal leaning). Just re what said about Scholes, is it common for people from around Manchester to support the likes of Oldham and Stockport in their respective leagues but also support Man U/City in the prem?

Also, Arshavin has been claiming a lifelong affiliation to Barca. While Ive no idea how wealthy his family are, was Spanish footy really that accessible on free tv to working class Russians in the 80s and 90s? hmm.....

I think Robbie is also a joint Celtic fan like many pool supporters. Read it before Im fairly sure.

IIRC the cigar incident happened at a Man City christmas party. The Everton fan was attacked in a pre season trip in Thailand or thereabouts.

The allegiance of the fan he attacked is irrelevant, Barton could get into a fight with himself in the mirror. :)

Fairly sure around the time it became apparent he was getting the boot from MC there was talk Everton was his dream club.

Yeah just had a look on wikipedia there and you're right he grew up an Everton fan, also the Everton fan he attacked in Thailand was only 15:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm fairly sure that Robbie Fowler was an Everton fan as well until he joined Liverpool as a young fella. He's gotten over it now though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Gotta say, I do like this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This may seem a stupid question but every English person Ive ever met supported a prem team (or a team that dipped between c`ship and prem regularly), bar one lad from norf landan who supported Watford all his life .

Do we not count as regular? We've gone up and down twice since the millenium :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Maldini: Fanatic Milan fan as a kid, but that's bucause of his dad and ****s.
    Ambrosini: Local boy, milan fan.

Nesta: Fanatic Lazio fan, only left becuase the club needed him to.

Gilardino: Juve

F & P Cannavaro: Napoli
    Cassano: Napoli

Totti: Roma to the bone.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Maldini: Fanatic Milan fan as a kid, but that's bucause of his dad and ****s.
    Ambrosini: Local boy, milan fan.

Nesta: Fanatic Lazio fan, only left becuase the club needed him to.

Gilardino: Juve

F & P Cannavaro: Napoli
    Cassano: Napoli

Totti: Roma to the bone.

Surprised at that one, Cassano's from bang in the centre of Bari, which would traditionally have quite a big rivalry with Napoli. Still, knowing Cassano, this is probably what made him be a Napoli fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

If I remember rightly, Frank Lampard doesn't like West Ham anymore, because of how the fans treated him.

It was because of how the club sacked his father.

Also Mark Hughes = Chelsea fan.

Peter Crouch used to have a season ticket at Stamford bridge, I think his father still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Jurgen Klinsmann was a Stuttgart fan
    The tosser then went to Bayern, and his kids support them now.
    Just annoys me, as he was a ''Stuttgarter Kickers fan'' when he was with them, a ''VfB Stuttgart fan'' when he was with them, and a ''Bayern fan'' when he went to them.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Theo Walcott is a Liverpool fan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Theo Walcott is a Liverpool fan.

I looked throught the whole thread to see if anyone had posted it - and I get to that last post . . . . I should of started at the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

carlop wrote: »
    Surprised at that one, Cassano's from bang in the centre of Bari, which would traditionally have quite a big rivalry with Napoli. Still, knowing Cassano, this is probably what made him be a Napoli fan!

****, typo, yeah he's obsessed with Bari actually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement