Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase from UK and Warranty

Options
  • 29-07-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

I got a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth watch last (June 2007) from a UK online shop, just after the year is gone on the Warranty the watch is needing of repair, I contacted the shop but was asked to contact the manufacturer, the customer support asked me to check the Irish repair center they have agreements with but they do not repair them so was asked to post the watch to the UK to be fix with copy of receipt, etc.

As the watch is over the 1 year warranty I will probably need to pay for it to get fixed. I thought I was reading a while back that even if the item only have 1 year warranty the manufacturer/shop should fix them even after that period because they are not items expected to work for longer than the 1 year, is that correct?

Also does anyone know who can I complain to about it? Like a consumer agency, etc Should I complain via the Irish, Uk or is there an EU agency that deals with similar consumer issues. I suppose if I do it via the Irish NCA I could put the claim against the Irish as I will assume they are register in Ireland.

Any other feedback also welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Any ideas, or does anyone know a UK website to check it out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

nava wrote: »
    As the watch is over the 1 year warranty I will probably need to pay for it to get fixed. I thought I was reading a while back that even if the item only have 1 year warranty the manufacturer/shop should fix them even after that period because they are not items expected to work for longer than the 1 year, is that correct?
    Yes, the goods should last as long as is reasonably expected as long as they were used correctly and not abused.
    nava wrote: »
    Also does anyone know who can I complain to about it? Like a consumer agency, etc Should I complain via the Irish, Uk or is there an EU agency that deals with similar consumer issues. I suppose if I do it via the Irish NCA I could put the claim against the Irish as I will assume they are register in Ireland.
    You can contact the European Consumer Centre. They help in cross boarder disputes. I believe you can do a small claims court application online (in the UK) - here. Court should always be the last resort though so see if the seller is willing to sort it out first (be reasonable) and if he/she wont then get onto the ECC who will direct you further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pluto1l

From the European Consumer Centre looks that ther is 2 years of warranty.
    http://www.eccdublin.ie/topics/shopping_in_europe.html

"The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which becomes apparent within a period of 2 years unless, at the moment of conclusion of the contract of sale, the consumer knew or could not reasonably be unaware of the lack of conformity. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

afaik most sony ericsson phones have a two year warranty but not sure about their accessories

just checked it is only one year and the warranty says you can return it to the irish repair centre for repair but they will charge for this.

Advertisement