Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teacher Advise Needed

• 29-07-2008 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hello all!

I am starting a teaching job next month, teaching, mainly Irish, in a primary school across all classes. I'm delighted with the post as I have always wanted to teach this subject but I have little or no experience teaching young children (I have taught in Irish summer courses, sport camps etc.). I am not a qualified teacher, but have a degree in Irish and English and want to progress into teaching. This job is my testing the water!

As it is impossible for me at this stage to do a mini-B.Ed course I would greatly appreciate any help for teaching methods, how to deal with kids and introduction to a new language etc. Are there any comprehensive books that would give me a good idea on how to teach primary children?

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks,

Fiona.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mishka2008

hi fiona,
    your first step if you haven't already done so is to read through the irish curriculum to give you an idea of where you are going! you can get it on www.ncca.ie if you dont already have it! after that if you can get your hands on the teacher guidelines if you have any friends/ relatives who are teachers that contains all the methodologies and lots of games and exemplars etc! One thing you should be aware of is that kids have a negative view of irish they find it "boring" so you're always up against that! they love learning little songs, rhymes, poems etc especially if you put actions with them in the younger classes! basically what you should be trying to do is make it interesting for them if at all possible! get them upout of their seats even if its only to stick something on the board! you might be able to let them watch some cartoons on tg4 depending on time and the resources in the school! there are a few websites like www.scoilnet.ie and www.seomraranga.ie where you might find some nice ideas! cant think of anything else now but if you've any questions ask away! im only newly qualified but ill help in any way i can :)

Advertisement