Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early house

Options
  • 29-07-2008 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the harbour bar still opens really early in the morning? or is there another early house around sligo?;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

As far as I know the Harbour Bar still does. Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

sueme wrote: »
    As far as I know the Harbour Bar still does. Have fun!

Does it? Thought that place was closed up.......... on account of it being a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I'm pretty sure it's closed and for sale. Not certain it's for sale, but it was closed. No other bar with early licence. Find a hotel, you lush:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

All the best bars look like you'll catch an sti if you don't put a condom on the barstool first...Which makes the harbour one of the best there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Big_Mac wrote: »
    on account of it being a kip

Would you really want an early house with style? No, for me the crappier the better.

<cough>

Not that I would ever frequent such an establishment personally...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Where is that place...don't think I know it but if someone could refresh my memory it would help.

As you enter the Quayside multi-storey from Union Street/Mid-Block side, it's straight ahead in all it's World Cup 2002, Tri-colour finery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Never realized that place was a bar...I always comment on its paint job when I see the place;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Its closed, I took a photo of it a while back, its up for sale.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/2054591315/

magnumlady wrote: »
    Its closed, I took a photo of it a while back, its up for sale.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/2054591315/

Really has a zesty appeal of an establishment buzzing with young socialites doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

All the best bars look like you'll catch an sti if you don't put a condom on the barstool first...Which makes the harbour one of the best there is!

Totally agree with this! I always think that modern pubs or pubs that have been newly renovated and done up have no soul!

Was in the Harbour bar a few times, I think the last time I was there was in 2002 when Ireland were playing Cameroon at something like 7 in the morning during the world cup, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I remember the Harbour Bar used to have Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Aston Villa, Arsenal, Celtic, Sligo Rovers, Leeds Utd...and other crests painted on the walls, all except.........Man Utd!

I don't think they liked United somehow. That's what won me over.

I used to go there on an odd Saturday to watch football. They had a lively, unpretentious and friendly crowd with nice staff and a decent pint. I agree it wouldn't have been the cleanest place on Gods earth but so what.

I also remember a great sign outside on the the specially painted green, white and orange walls for the 2002 World Cup.

Something like,

GOOD LUCK TO MICK
    AND THE LADS
    (Thanks a lot Roy)

Early licences were granted to certain premises in port towns to facilitate sailors and harbour workers at odd times. Seeing as Sligo Harbour Board has all but destroyed Sligo as a viable port, I suppose there's no need for an early house any more. Not that factory workers and taxi drivers would be best pleased about that:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

As previous posters have said the Harbour has been closed for a good few years.
    There is a few pubs that still open early (albeit not legally). You may need to be a local or known to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

who needs an early house, get a bottle of buckie an sit in steven street car park

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    who needs an early house, get a bottle of buckie Cans of Dutch Gold an sit in steven street car park

Fixed your post there Jizzlord ;)

Advertisement