Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of my ban a bit long?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

ok since i know a few people are waiting for it.

i got banned here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055342873

Now I completely acccept the banning. It's just the length of it seems far too harsh (one month).

Oh and as you will read the mod (who is also the op) says wildly contradictory things throughout the thread about his original post (which everyone else seems to have perceived in the same way I did).

I broke charter rules admittedly, but the original post also breaks charter rules re: offensive remarks and flaming etc.

This had been a hot topic of debate before and the mod in question had already said many things in the 'Peter Hook lol' thread leading to most posters seeing exactly what he was getting at with this thread.
    I was not going to beat around the bush though (as more than a few posters have pointed out).

I'm not here to appeal my ban. Just the severity. And because I reckon there are a few people who would enjoy the entertainment!!:D

edit: i'm in the mood for some really good lolcats so get the best ones out.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Your link to the thread is full of fail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Your link to the thread is full of fail

sorry yeah fixed. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think a month is fine.. seems generous tbh.

Oh, and when a charter says 'no flaming/offensive remarks' - it means _TOWARDS_ other posters. Eg. Calling someone a twat, or stupid, etc. Like you have done. I don't see that anywhere in the OP's post..

Oh, and when a charter says 'no flaming/offensive remarks' - it means _TOWARDS_ other posters. Eg. Calling someone a twat, or stupid, etc. Like you have done. I don't see that anywhere in the OP's post..

well actually i thought that too until a few weeks ago i said something about israel(don't ask) and a mod referred me to the offensive remarks part of the charter.

was he wrong then? As admittedly according to his perception of the charter I was breaking it.

Eg. Calling someone a twat, or stupid, etc. Like you have done. ..

technically speaking i don't think i called anyone any names. if you look closely i called the posts pretty bad names but i don't think i directly called anyone anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

To be fair I think the mod in question started a thread that he knew would start war! The mod then proceeded to give out and rant about the op after he was banned. Why not take his own advice and open up a thread in feedback? However, Jtsuited, I feel the ban was fair and justified. Take it on the chin man, the month will fly by.

like i say i accept the ban.

just seems like (as you say) the mod should really heed his own advice. Especially his comments after i was banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

1 week ban imo

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You deserved to be banned for the way you acted, but to be honest the moderator didn't exactly help with his opening post. He's meant to be keeping peace in the forum, not riling people up. What kind of reactions was he expecting? I mean he even said it in the OP -

'..................OK....I know I shouldn't.'

The best course of action there would have been to get another impartial moderator to step in and sort it. If I'd started a thread with an opening post on par with that one and somebody really took offense, I certainly wouldn't moderate it myself.

Given the circumstances, a 1 month ban is far too long. I'd half it at least.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Your behaviour in that thread was appalling and arrogant.

Your months ban is deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

CHD wrote: »
    1 week ban imo

come off it will you, its a months ban easily.

pvt.joker,
    Have you forgotten my warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Perhaps 2 weeks would have been enough, may I suggest anger management? Yourself and Curtis might swing a 2 for 1...
    jtsuited wrote: »
    ok since i know a few people are waiting for it.
    .o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Hey guys,
    I gave the ban. This was my first ban as I dont like the idea of banning at all. There needs to be a little bit of play or leeway but in this case he got that for a few threads until he just stepped over the line a bit too much. A few users had been saying for a while that this should have happened before and I defended him, I also Pmd him on another occasion to get him out of a banning from another mod.

1 month seems the minimum for that behaviour. Its got to the stage on that thread that a few lads are just looking for fights and they see some topics as a good medium. TBH Im done with entertaining these lads. Its a very short list of topics you can discuss now thanks to this behaviour.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    pvt.joker,
    Have you forgotten my warning?

:o sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

sei046 wrote: »
    I dont like the idea of banning at all.

I don't like to comment on another mod's moderation tactics, but...
    Its a very short list of topics you can discuss now thanks to this behaviour.

Discussion in your forum is stifled because of the behaviour of these people? That can't be good.

Perhaps earlier bannings would haved had them cop on, or in fact, found themselves perma-banned, and normal, non-confrontational posters could get on with it?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Seems like a storm in a teacup to me, and the root of the problem seemed to be that a somewhat inflammatory thread was started by a mod of the forum, and the only other post in that thread (before the banning at least, I didn't read after that) by a mod of that forum is to disagree with the OP, and not at all in a moderating capacity, and considering the mod who did the banning was the one at the centre of the thread, he perhaps should have asked another mod there to look at it and see if JT was out of order and to what degreee, but some of the backtracking by the OP in that thread didn't help things either.

I'm not saying JT wasn't flirting heaving with the line, but a month ban seems way too over the top to me. Just for disclosure, I do know JT outside of boards, but that hasn't made my opinion different I think. A week would be plenty tbh

Come back and talk poker Jeff, forget this music lark for a while :)

Des wrote: »
    Perhaps earlier bannings would haved had them cop on, or in fact, found themselves perma-banned, and normal, non-confrontational posters could get on with it?

Have to agree with Des.
    If these people are ruining your forum and making discussion on may topics difficult, then it's time you started handing out bans sooner for the good of the forum.

If you need help with this or advice when in doubt, you are welcome to drop me a PM or ask for advice in the Mod forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its a very short list of topics you can discuss now thanks to this behaviour.

Please excuse my ignorance as i havent been to the music prod forum before, however it seems a shame that bad posters are dictating what can and cant be discussed in the forum. If that was the case all over the site, i imagine there would be no soccer or politics forums (to name but a few).

Perhaps a re-think on managing muppetry etc would be worth considering?

Your behaviour in that thread was appalling and arrogant.

Your months ban is deserved.

last time i checked the charter there was nothing outlawing arrogance.

• Advertisement

last time i checked the charter there was nothing outlawing arrogance.

Your attitude stinks in that thread, if you cannot see that, then there in lies your problem.
    Arrogance may not be covered in the charter because a certain level of manners is just expected without it having to be covered.

5starpool wrote: »
    Seems like a storm in a teacup to me, and the root of the problem seemed to be that a somewhat inflammatory thread was started by a mod of the forum, and the only other post in that thread (before the banning at least, I didn't read after that) by a mod of that forum is to disagree with the OP, and not at all in a moderating capacity, and considering the mod who did the banning was the one at the centre of the thread, he perhaps should have asked another mod there to look at it and see if JT was out of order and to what degreee, but some of the backtracking by the OP in that thread didn't help things either.

I'm not saying JT wasn't flirting heaving with the line, but a month ban seems way too over the top to me. Just for disclosure, I do know JT outside of boards, but that hasn't made my opinion different I think. A week would be plenty tbh

Come back and talk poker Jeff, forget this music lark for a while :)

Alright dom. I'd go talk poker if i didn't keep doing my roll in on the microstakes (my game has gone to sh1te!).
    Like I say, I know I was breaking the rules, but in the context of the inflammatory post by a mod, and then the backtracking and whatnot, I feel the ban is way too long.

It really does seem like a personal thing to ban me for that long, and I feel that the mod thinks he'd have an easier time posting such nonsense in future if he can keep me under the kosh like this.

Your attitude stinks in that thread, QUOTE]

As does the mod's. As more than me have pointed out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There seems to be a lot of anger on that thread. I cant speak for the forum as a whole, but on that particular thread there was a lot of abuse going around.
    It might stick to the charter, but young PaulBrewer made a fair point that that kind of stuff should be dealt with clearly and unambiguously by the mods.
    A month's ban to a few users may get them to cop on.
    Or at least voice their objections in a sane sounding non-rant rather than peppering posts with incendiary waffle.

In your and their opinion.
    However, you have come to this forum asking the powers that be if the ban was too long. I have given my answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jtsuited,

If you have an issuw with a Moderator, there are a number of options open to you to address the issue.

1. Continue to fight the good fight here in feedback, it could turn into a bitch-fest, a-la this, and you might get a few users backing you up, and feel justified in starting the thread, but nothing will really be done.

2. Go to the CMod of the Category in which the forum you have the issue in is. Ask them to look over the thread, and see if they agree with you, maybe they can have a word with the mod. If that isn't concluded to your liking then...

3. Go to Helpdesk, in there only SMods and Admins can reply to you, not mods, not other users, if an issue is shown to be real, then the SMods will have a word with the mod, and try to get something sorted.

Your attitude stinks in that thread, QUOTE]

Your issue has been dealt with by an admin. Your next step is helpdesk should you still feel aggrieved. I would suggest dropping it and accepting your ban.

In your and their opinion.
    However, you have come to this forum asking the powers that be if the ban was too long. I have given my answer.

That doesn't seem like an arrogant post at all:rolleyes:

That doesn't seem like an arrogant post at all:rolleyes:

Well I thought it was a pretty straight answer to your question.
    If it's not then I am unsure why exactly you have posted a thread in this forum.
    What was it you were looking for?

• Advertisement

What was it you were looking for?
    to see if others agreed (or disagreed) that the ban was too harsh.

You may have noticed that a good few people do in fact agree. And a few don't.
    The fact that you don't doesn't exactly put an end to it, especially as there seems to be a modding issue with the forum (according to other mods who have posted in this thread).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement