Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of my ban a bit long?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

jtsuited wrote: »
    The fact that you don't doesn't exactly put an end to it

It pretty much does.
    especially as there seems to be a modding issue with the forum (according to other mods who have posted in this thread).

Aye
    We think the Mod of that forum should probably be handing out more bans. I have offered to help him out with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Des wrote: »
    jtsuited,

If you have an issuw with a Moderator, there are a number of options open to you to address the issue.

1. Continue to fight the good fight here in feedback, it could turn into a bitch-fest, a-la this, and you might get a few users backing you up, and feel justified in starting the thread, but nothing will really be done.

2. Go to the CMod of the Category in which the forum you have the issue in is. Ask them to look over the thread, and see if they agree with you, maybe they can have a word with the mod. If that isn't concluded to your liking then...

3. Go to Helpdesk, in there only SMods and Admins can reply to you, not mods, not other users, if an issue is shown to be real, then the SMods will have a word with the mod, and try to get something sorted.

thanks des, i was starting this thread to see if others thought it would actually be worth going to the CMod or helpdesk.
    I mean if enough people say 'completely justified, don't bother going to the cmod', then i won't.
    But that is certainly not the concensus in this thread, so I await further opinion.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    It pretty much does.

I didn't know that. May I ask why? Are you the CMod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

IMO (for what it's worth) I'd definitely appeal it; a week maybe, a month no.

(as an aside, if anyone decides to step down as Mod of said forum, I'm very happy to take it on. Just saying :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

She's an SMod.

When you said you "await further opinion" do you mean in here, feedback, or have you opened another channel of communication?

If you mean, here, in feedback, well then, you are going with option 1 in my post above.

not very sensible, imo, trying to get a rabble to back you up.

Either you believe in your convictions yourself, and feel your argument has merit, or you don't.

• Advertisement

Smod and mod of this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

completely justified. Don't bother going to a Cmod.

Laters x

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

She is the boss of cmods in a manner of speaking. As I said, I think it is overly harsh, but then again I don't know of what other stuff you may or may not have posted in that forum. One way or another (and since I have as much influence in that forum as you) I think your appeal is futile at this point.

Accept the ban, post in one of the other 83 (ish) music forums here, and then once you get back in word things a bit more diplomatically. There is more than one way to skin a cat etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cmods don't tend to get involved in forum policy, such as overturning bans, afaik. Perhaps Karl Hungus could clarify that if he reads this.

Beruthiel, perhaps you should clarify whether, in the light of the new Feedback rules, you and the other smods have the power of "final say" in these Feedback threads? I'm not getting a clear picture here.

As a former mod of the Music Production forum I have to say that jtsuited's posts do not in any way "ruin" the forum and it is unfair to say that they do. He is a regular and knowledgeable contributer.

I do agree that a ban was deserved, however - sei's opening post may have been a bit inflammatory but jtsuited's attitude was borderline abusive. As for the length of the ban - this was his second time getting banned for having a pop at PaulBrewer. If it was a first offense I'd call the ban harsh. But it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm baffled by what you're trying to achieve here.

Boards isn't a democracy. Getting people to support you doesn't make a difference.

If you feel a ban or the length of it is unfair, then points 2 & 3 in Des's post are your main options (after discussing it with the mod in question). You shouldn't need other people's opinions - either you feel that it's unfair or you don't.

To save you the trip to the Helpdesk, I will also say that the ban is valid. So if you go to the helpdesk, you now know what you'll be told by at least two of us.

That whole thread was a mess tbh. When someone posts something that gets your back up, as sei clearly did, then push your chair back, walk away, go have a ****/piss or get a cup of coffee or go for a walk or something, then come back and pick his post apart, bit by bit, in a calm and rational manner and show the poster up to be completely wrong and make them look the fool.

Getting annoyed, resorting to questioning someone else's web activites or their skills in the area, or otherwise slinging insults, only makes one person look like a fool.

Whether the person starting the thread is a mod or not is irrelevant. sei clearly has an interest in the area, so is entitled to start threads just like anyone else, whether or not they cause people to get annoyed. Moderators are not required to sit on a forum and do nothing but moderate.

An appropriate response would have been, "sei, you're wrong. And here's why...". The incorrect response was, "You're genuinely coming across as a complete yokel who has never been exposed to dance music of any form".
    From there, it just became a train wreck.

My 2c is that one of the other mods should have stepped in long before that and started cleaning up. If this is typical of how threads are carried on, then the perpetrators (there are always one or two) should receive the traditional slap on the wrists of a ban.

You stood out in this thread and received the slap. You haven't disagreed with sei that this was a long time coming, so I'm going to assume it was. So a month sounds about right.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    Beruthiel, perhaps you should clarify whether, in the light of the new Feedback rules, you and the other smods have the power of "final say" in these Feedback threads?

Yes. We do.
    It is no longer humanly possible for the Admins to check in here enough for it to count.
    They have busy lives and Boards has gotten too big for them to manage alone.
    So whither it is here or the Help Desk, Smods have final say on topics we consider easily dealt with.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Yes. We do.
    It is no longer humanly possible for the Admins to check in here enough for it to count.
    They have busy lives and Boards has gotten too big for them to manage alone.
    So whither it is here or the Help Desk, Smods have final say on topics we consider easily dealt with.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

seamus wrote: »
    That whole thread was a mess tbh. When someone posts something that gets your back up, as sei clearly did, then push your chair back, walk away, go have a ****/piss or get a cup of coffee or go for a walk or something, then come back and pick his post apart, bit by bit, in a calm and rational manner and show the poster up to be completely wrong and make them look the fool.

fair points, but tbh when someone who has posted up similar nonsense before starts at it again, he knows what's going to happen.

And while my dissection of his points was indeed in breach of many rules, i think it was entirely rational. Wasn't calm but was logical.

thanks for saving me the bother of going to the helpdesk.

oh and the reason i posted it is the reason that many people post on boards, to see if they're alone in thinking something or maybe leaving something out of their train of thought.
    I know boards isn't a democracy (thanks be to Jeebus) and I was in no way going to use this thread as some sort 'look everyone thinks i'm right, shorten my ban' thing.

As a former mod of the Music Production forum I have to say that jtsuited's posts do not in any way "ruin" the forum and it is unfair to say that they do. He is a regular and knowledgeable contributer.

I do agree that a ban was deserved, however - sei's opening post may have been a bit inflammatory but jtsuited's attitude was borderline abusive. As for the length of the ban - this was his second time getting banned for having a pop at PaulBrewer. If it was a first offense I'd call the ban harsh. But it wasn't.

thanks cornbb, because the mod and paul brewer are pretty much trying to make out that I am ruining that forum a good few times in that thread. and i am very insulted by that coming from a mod.

fair play to you for saying this after i was a complete jackass before about 'that' thing. I would hope that I would be so gentlemanly in the same situation (i really don't think i could be so fair play, genuinely sound of you).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

oh and the reason i posted it is the reason that many people post on boards, to see if they're alone in thinking something or maybe leaving something out of their train of thought.
    Ok, that's not a problem.

thanks cornbb, because the mod and paul brewer are pretty much trying to make out that I am ruining that forum a good few times in that thread. and i am very insulted by that coming from a mod.

fair play to you for saying this after i was a complete jackass before about 'that' thing. I would hope that I would be so gentlemanly in the same situation (i really don't think i could be so fair play, genuinely sound of you).

Don't mention it. I'm not having a go here... but its clear you still have a massive chip on your shoulder towards Paul, and any attempt by him or the mods to point this out shouldn't be interpreted as an insult, they're just fed up with you sniping at him, which is fair enough. You should really try to get along with him, I can't see why you won't.

Don't mention it. I'm not having a go here... but its clear you still have a massive chip on your shoulder towards Paul, and any attempt by him or the mods to point this out shouldn't be interpreted as an insult, they're just fed up with you sniping at him, which is fair enough. You should really try to get along with him, I can't see why you won't.

In fairness he makes plenty of more subtle jibes at me all the time. I'm not very subtle when it comes to these things because I hate snideness. More of a 'tell them what you really think' person. I think it's more decent.

he was clearly having a go at me before I took a go at him in that thread. Just mine was a little less veiled and a lot more entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Oh for god sake! Will you drop it! You got out of line, you got banned. Done! Look You should have been banned before ok? simple as.

The reason you saw the thread is silly was because anything to do with Djing cannot be spoken about in a bad light. Not even Djs, As much as a gig with a Dj at it is out of bounds. You jumped STRAIGHT in after my opening post about the night and went insane.

Enough is enough man, I got you out of jams before, not this time. Its a month ban from a forum, suck it up, come back and post with a little less agro towards everyone. Put it to be please

sei046 wrote: »
    Oh for god sake! Will you drop it! You got out of line, you got banned. Done! Look You should have been banned before ok? simple as.
    You told me to take it to feedback. I have.
    The reason you saw the thread is silly was because anything to do with Djing cannot be spoken about in a bad light. Not even Djs, As much as a gig with a Dj at it is out of bounds. You jumped STRAIGHT in after my opening post about the night and went insane.
    Is that the reason most other posters saw the thread as silly too? The reason I saw the thread as silly was you were alluding to something which was based on a nonsensical thought process. A point made by almost everyone else in said thread. And if you weren't alluding to what everyone thinks you were, it was a silly thread because it was a pointless rant.
    Also pointed out by a good few other people on the thread.
    Enough is enough man, I got you out of jams before, not this time. Its a month ban from a forum, suck it up, come back and post with a little less agro towards everyone. Put it to be please

Two people I gave agro to in that thread - you and Paul Brewer. That is not everyone. That is two people. Who I made my point about quite clearly about in the thread.

Don't get so dramatic Sei (to quote you). You said bring it to feedback. I did. A good few people feel that the ban is too harsh and/or you weren't modding the place well. And then you tell me to drop it?

Why don't you just be honest the next time and say 'stop attracting attention to my modding errors and silly behaviour in a thread where you were banned'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Length of my ban a bit long?
    Thats what she said
    <_<
    >_>

(sorry)

• Advertisement

But you brought it to feedback you got your answer! What more do you want?

Why dont you bring it up with the powers that be about my modding skills instead of this roundabout way? You didnt even give two thoughts to what I was talking about. You saw that I didnt like something and a DJ was involved and you took it as a nice excuse to break out as usual.

Look the thread was about how this lad last night was taking the head off everyone with filter sweeps and a sub par PA. OK? Im sorry Jt. He was a DJ, If he was a guitarist, it would have been equally as aloud and I would have been equally as annoyed at his lack of cop on. I said something like " I have made my mind up " which was a throwaway comment which should have been accompanied by a smiley. I accept it was my fault for not including a smiley.

But you brought it to feedback you got your answer! What more do you want?

Why dont you bring it up with the powers that be about my modding skills instead of this roundabout way? You didnt even give two thoughts to what I was talking about. You saw that I didnt like something and a DJ was involved and you took it as a nice excuse to break out as usual.

Look the thread was about how this lad last night was taking the head off everyone with filter sweeps and a sub par PA. OK? Im sorry Jt. He was a DJ, If he was a guitarist, it would have been equally as aloud and I would have been equally as annoyed at his lack of cop on. I said something like " I have made my mind up " which was a throwaway comment which should have been accompanied by a smiley. I accept it was my fault for not including a smiley.

surely i don't have to lecture a mod on not posting things you knew quite clearly (shown by your 'i know i shouldn't') would piss off a few people.

Especially given the context of the last thread where a few of us got hot and bothered about your completely uninformed opinion on the matters.

Surely I don't have to do that.
    Btw, what does a throwaway comment mean? Does it mean a joke you don't mean at all? that isn't very funny?
    Or does it mean a way of completely running away from the implication you made, and which was the main point of your post in the first place? You have contradicted yourself wildly in that thread so don't start saying it was completely innocent.
    Even if it was, nobody read it like that, and nobody believes you (except savman i think) meant it in the way you later said you did in the thread and here.

Suck it up and be honest sei. Like you did in the thread on the first few pages, but then later wriggled out of.

Your right. Good man. What your saying makes complete sense. I seem to spend 90% of my boards time entertaining so dont be insulted if I leave it here. Drop me a PM if anything comes up that you need me for.

Dave

oh and just to not let you wriggle out of it anymore, you said

'What the hell.........

I hate all DJs. There I said it.....I hate their music, the way they look, the people they hang around with and most of all their music.

I think its a silly hobby and shouldnt be taken seriously. I have clearly being tiptoeing around this in my earlier posts. I may as well come out and say if its not rock its pure rubbish and there we go!

Everyone here who is into DJing is a newbie and it should not be involved in this forum. Leave it to the Djing forum where they can all be together and talk about .......mixing.

There we go!'

Now maybe that's sarcastic, but then why would you apologise as you did here (in my next post - have to log out to get the quote)

so maybe the first one was completely sarcastic, but then why post this if the first one was sarcastic?
    Are you inventing some sort of double-sarcastic-post-double-negative style of humour?
    Well if that's the case, you might find better places to try it out as it seems to have annoyed a few people. Maybe we don't get it.
    "No red dave, Your right.

Im sorry. Not just to you to everyone. I was completely wrong. I hereby apologise, What you and jt and sean have been saying is right. It turns out i really dont have a clue and my war on djs should end. I had set out to insult and offend as many of you as i could and that was wrong. When i seen this guy i thought i could put the last nail in the Dj coffin for this thread but I was wrong."

Because no matter what I do you make it an arguement so I may aswell give you what you want. Of course I was bloody sarcastic, can you read the post? Read my opening post. Again, and again. Then justify what your talking about. Its grand when your at a keyboard, you wouldnt do it in person so give me a break.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

so maybe the first one was completely sarcastic, but then why post this if the first one was sarcastic?
    Are you inventing some sort of double-sarcastic-post-double-negative style of humour?
    Well if that's the case, you might find better places to try it out as it seems to have annoyed a few people. Maybe we don't get it.

To be honest, I don't see how ranting on like this is going to get the length of your ban reduced.
    That IS the reason you started this thread, right?

Or is it?

Jt tbh for the sake of peace why dont you in one line state an issue you have with me, I can say my short piece and then move on to the next thing. So if you think I am out to get you or I hate Djs or whatever. No long posts of no substance, clear concise point and let me answer it. That might clear a few things up. Im betting you might not want that though

Its grand when your at a keyboard, you wouldnt do it in person so give me a break.
    yes i would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Lads, its begining to look like a pissing contest where you'll both come out looking like idiots.

Let it drop would be my advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement