Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne - Celtic XI

• 29-07-2008 3:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=951

With so many Irish people interested with Celtic in Ireland thought I may aswell start a thread about the match on Wednesday in Tolka. I've heard there is a few reguarly lining out for the Celtic Xi, which will mainly have reserves, free under 18's and a measure of first-teamers.

This is the team that played Donegal Celtic so I presume it will be roughly the same against Shels.
    Celtic XI: Fox, Towell, Conroy, Ferry, Cuthbert, Lafferty, McGlinchey, Millar, Riordan, Gravesen, Gawley, Gaughan

Subs: Gaughan for Towell 69; Graham for Gawley 77; Monti for Gravesen 85

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Heard of Riordan and Gravesen. No idea of any of the others. Not the most appealing of games to go to is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not the most appealing of games to go to is it?

Nope.:D Knowing how fickle Oirish fans are Tolka will be a sell-out.:rolleyes: Some Shels fans seem tempted to bring along a Union Jack with Celtic on it, now that would be priceless.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

€20 is too dear IMO, although would be good to see the likes of Towell in action, he's a decent player.

As for the flag, I'd expect the Celtic fans won't give a ****. Probably should do something original if you want to wind them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

PauloMN wrote: »
    €20 is too dear IMO, although would be good to see the likes of Towell in action, he's a decent player.

Richie Towells a brilliant player. Used to play for Crumlin with Clifford up to the start of last season.

As for the flag, I'd expect the Celtic fans won't give a ****. Probably should do something original if you want to wind them up.

But you could just imagine Dublins' finest saying "fecking Brits", etc...:pac:
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Richie Towells a brilliant player. Used to play for Crumlin with Clifford up to the start of last season.

My mate used to go to school with him before he went to England said he was quality. He also used to go to school with Paul Skinner and he's supposely decent aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Cuthbert (CB), Conroy (LB), Ferry (CM) and McGlinchey (AM) all played in the Scotland team that got to the final of the European U19 championship a couple of years ago. Cuthbert captained the Scotland team and is the captain of this Celtic team. Ferry is a playmaker and was always regarded as the biggest prospect but has been injured quite a bit over the last 2 years.

Gravesen I think is gone back to Denmark after his granny died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Nope.:D Knowing how fickle Oirish fans are Tolka will be a sell-out.:rolleyes: Some Shels fans seem tempted to bring along a Union Jack with Celtic on it, now that would be priceless.:)

Wow, anti Celtic bitterness. Who saw that coming.

You forgot the word barstoolers, thinking you had got one over on Celtic fans by charging them to see their team in action in Dublin (idiots, eh?) and references to rubber hammers, leprachan suits and green wigs.

Maybe instead of blaming Celtic for low EL attendance you should blame your own clubs nearly complete lack of self promotion to young people, lack of pressure until recently to get RTE to give them any airtime, the fact I can buy jerseys from Spanish division 2 clubs in my local Lifestyle and GAA jerseys from all 32 counties (and even NY and London teams) yet EL jerseys can seemingly only be bought online or at the club store.

Get over yourself. Celtic are bigger here because they promote themselves better. End of.
    But you could just imagine Dublins' finest saying "fecking Brits", etc...:pac:

Not really.

I can, however, imagine a few thinking along the lines of "how the **** do they expect us to want to attend Irish domestic games in the company of the type of clowns who wave union jacks at a visiting club with a proud Irish tradition"

shane86 wrote: »

Maybe instead of blaming Celtic for low EL attendance you should blame your own clubs nearly complete lack of self promotion to young people, lack of pressure until recently to get RTE to give them any airtime, the fact I can buy jerseys from Spanish division 2 clubs in my local Lifestyle and GAA jerseys from all 32 counties (and even NY and London teams) yet EL jerseys can seemingly only be bought online or at the club store.

Get over yourself. Celtic are bigger here because they promote themselves better. End of.

Not really.

I can, however, imagine a few thinking along the lines of "how the **** do they expect us to want to attend Irish domestic games in the company of the type of clowns who wave union jacks at a visiting club with a proud Irish tradition"

You've obviously never looked into, clubs do alot of advertising, but well lack of funds mean lack of advertising. Not to mention the Oirish media.:rolleyes:

Celtic are bigger here because they're latched onto their Oirish tradition, as the song goes the "The famine is over so go home" (or something like that). Plus we've a football national mainly consisting of goons.

BTW to clarifiy your last point, Celtic are British, waving a British flag would probably welcome them, No?

You've obviously never looked into, clubs do alot of advertising, but well lack of funds mean lack of advertising. Not to mention the Oirish media.:rolleyes:

Advertising where? All Ive ever seen/heard are ads on local radio around friendly time and the odd poster in pub toilets.

As for selling jerseys, it is a vital part of engraining pride in a club with children especially. The fans of tomorrow. You arent going to get many 10 year olds supporting Shels as their mother cant buy a jersey down the local Champion Sports but can easily find a Celtic/Liverpool/Man U/ even various obscure European teams. I distinctly remember when I was younger asking my dad why Ireland didnt have club football teams only to be told that we did, but that tv seldom if ever shows the matches. Sure what was I to know- Id never seen a jersey for sale, never seen a televised match etc etc etc. It is still the same story today. Selling jerseys makes money. You can bet 80% of people in Dublin jerseys only start taking an interest as summer approaches and more games are televised. They still make their team money year round. While I dont follow it Leinster and Munster rugby seems to know how to market itself to Irish rugby fans. From memory some of the Munster jaunts to France get more fans than Ireland away soccer internationals. Why cant the EL do the same? The above has NOTHING to do with Glasgow Celtic.

Celtic are bigger here because they're latched onto their Oirish tradition, as the song goes the "The famine is over so go home" (or something like that). Plus we've a football national mainly consisting of goons.

Actually we have a football nation consisting of massive parts of the country that dont have a professional soccer team. Mayo, Cavan, Meath, Tipp, Leitrim, Laois, Carlow. More than a quarter of the 26 counties. Added together that is a massive percentage of the population who either dont live near a footie ground or have no reason to support a team based in a neighbouring county they have a traditional sports/general location rivalry with (if all the Liverpool based teams were all League 2 and below do you think scousers would travel to Old Trafford because they were the nearest big team? Of course not). tbh the only club I can think of that promotes itself anyway well is Fingal, meaning to get to a match soon.

Define a goon, exactly.
    BTW to clarifiy your last point, Celtic are British, waving a British flag would probably welcome them, No?

By that logic Derry City are also a British football club. Why not waive your union jack at them as well? Why not hold a big banner welcoming "Londonderry"?

Dying to hear this one.....

There is a reason Barca fans wave tricolours when playing Rangers. But then again you are probably one of these who gladly cheered on Gers vs Zenit yes?

Advertising where? All Ive ever seen/heard are ads on local radio around friendly time and the odd poster in pub toilets.

As for selling jerseys, it is a vital part of engraining pride in a club with children especially. The fans of tomorrow. You arent going to get many 10 year olds supporting Shels as their mother cant buy a jersey down the local Champion Sports but can easily find a Celtic/Liverpool/Man U/ even various obscure European teams. I distinctly remember when I was younger asking my dad why Ireland didnt have club football teams only to be told that we did, but that tv seldom if ever shows the matches. Sure what was I to know- Id never seen a jersey for sale, never seen a televised match etc etc etc. It is still the same story today. Selling jerseys makes money. You can bet 80% of people in Dublin jerseys only start taking an interest as summer approaches and more games are televised. They still make their team money year round. While I dont follow it Leinster and Munster rugby seems to know how to market itself to Irish rugby fans. From memory some of the Munster jaunts to France get more fans than Ireland away soccer internationals. Why cant the EL do the same? The above has NOTHING to do with Glasgow Celtic.

Actually we have a football nation consisting of massive parts of the country that dont have a professional soccer team. Mayo, Cavan, Meath, Tipp, Leitrim, Laois, Carlow. More than a quarter of the 26 counties. Added together that is a massive percentage of the population who either dont live near a footie ground or have no reason to support a team based in a neighbouring county they have a traditional sports/general location rivalry with (if all the Liverpool based teams were all League 2 and below do you think scousers would travel to Old Trafford because they were the nearest big team? Of course not). tbh the only club I can think of that promotes itself anyway well is Fingal, meaning to get to a match soon.

Define a goon, exactly.

By that logic Derry City are also a British football club. Why not waive your union jack at them as well? Why not hold a big banner welcoming "Londonderry"?

Dying to hear this one.....

There is a reason Barca fans wave tricolours when playing Rangers. But then again you are probably one of these who gladly cheered on Gers vs Zenit yes?

Look at the Tabloid papers, mainly The Mirror and Herald, always advertising matches. Setanta advertise matches.

Shels, Bohs, Pats and Rovers jerseries used to be sold in Champion Sports on Grafton St and Jervis, they stopped because no one bought them.

Your thing about counties not having a team doesn't mean crap, look at Kilkenny, a population of over 20,000 and they got about 50 odd home fans at matches and then look at Monaghan nearly 6,000 people and no more than 50 locals at the match against Shels tonight. What makes you think tge counties you listed will be different?

Derry City don't allow National Flags in the Brandywell. They are a British club, playing in an Irish league. Bit like Cardiff and Wrexham, Welsh teams playing in the English Legaue.

No actually I cheered on Zenit, why I don't know.

• Advertisement

Topic is got way off topic, we leave it at that Shane ye?

Fair enough.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Topic is got way off topic, we leave it at that Shane ye?
    Fair enough.........

Women sort it out like real men. 12 rounds of bareknuckle boxing should do the trick.

12?

In my day if a fight lasted less than 50 rounds we demanded our nickel back! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

12?

In my day if a fight lasted less than 50 rounds we demanded our nickel back! :pac:
    Now you really have proved to be you are a woman.

Do you really have to ask that question?

Do you think all these people with the Irish flags are Irish?
    sevillecrowd.jpg

All the points you're making are just as valid if you put them to a Scottish Celtic fan. Most of the fans in Celtic Park every week are Scottish but a Union Jack wouldn't last 2 seconds in the Celtic end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Don't worry about Gavin ;'shels', he knows all that but is trying to wind people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Most of the fans in Celtic Park every week are Scottish but a Union Jack wouldn't last 2 seconds in the Celtic end.

Why not? Sectarian much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yaaaaaaawwwwnnnnnnn.......

Sorry thats just the sound of this argument waking up after its summer long hibernation ;)

Shels fans who want to take a Union Flag to the game with them?
    Thats aevery bit as mad as born and bred scots taking Ireland flags to games really.

This poster has a lot to do with it. http://www.stpatsfc.com/images/vsOlimps4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

Did anyone go to this match tonight?

Any good? Much of a crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

It was a good match for 2 second string teams. 1200+ attendance. Not great but still a good moneyspinner for Shels for a glorifyed reserve match. The Irish Celtic fans were hilarious haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

fermoyboy wrote: »
    Did anyone go to this match tonight?

Any good? Much of a crowd?
    Yeah it was decent enough. Shels dominated the 1st half, Celtic were unlucky not to score in the 2nd.
    In the end 1-1 was a fair result to the match.
    The Celtic fans were quite funny alright. Just hearing them trying to get chants going was great I thought. And the fact that the ''hats and scarves'' brigade arrived at Tolka for the night.

Thought I'd stick in some feedback on players-
    Goal was scored by Forsyth, who looked comfortable throughout
    The other standout performances were by Gary McCabe, who went close once or twice, and David McAllister, who had an assist to the goal.
    Hedderman and Byrne also impressed me at the back, as did Fred Davis Jr. (2nd half) and Vinny Whelan (1st half) in goal.
    Also- could any other Shels fan clarify this for me? Are Ryan Semple and Brian Farrell with the club now?

Brief Celtic report from a Celtic fan:
    Went along tonight.

Celtic lined up like this:
    Fox;
    Towell; Gaughan; Cuthbert; Conroy;
    Quinn; Ferry; Millar; Cawley;
    McGlinchey; Riordan.

It finshed 1-1 with a second half goal from Rocco Quinn cancelling out a first half opener from Shels.

Fox was at fault for the goal and looks too small to make it.

Towell was signed from Crumlin Utd last year as a midfielder but he's only 16/17 and was thrown in right back and looked uncomfortable.

Gaughan's the lad from Mayo who came from Liverpool last year and he wasn't great.

Cuthbert and Conroy were both impressive.

Quinn was quiet but took his goal well.

Ferry's technique and passing is excellent and it was enjoyable watching him play - he's a little bit tubby though.

Millar was less impressive but busy all the same.

Cawley's tiny and got knocked off the ball a lot.

McGlinchey dropped deep a lot and didn't have much impact.

Riordan was rubbish upfront but moved wide left for the second half and was very good. He must have had about 6 really good efforts. A few were saved and two were cleared off the line.

The only sub to come on was the beast from Rochdale that we signed the other week, Matty Hughes. He's only 16 but is huge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    Thats aevery bit as mad as born and bred scots taking Ireland flags to games really.

Or born and bred Scots taking Norn Iron flags to games in Ibrox. Except for the fact that there's no connection with Norn Iron in the case of Rangers. :rolleyes:

Really though, who gives a f**k. (Edit: what I meant to say was who gives a f**k, aside from Eircom league supporters to whom flags seem to be a big discussion point.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Or born and bred Scots taking Norn Iron flags to games in Ibrox. Except for the fact that there's no connection with Norn Iron in the case of Rangers. :rolleyes:

Really though, who gives a f**k. (Edit: what I meant to say was who gives a f**k, aside from Eircom league supporters to whom flags seem to be a big discussion point.)

Exactly the same Paul. The difference was we werent talking about Rangers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Celtic fans calling Shels fans "huns".

Des wrote: »

:D

I'd say the Shels fans deserved a bit of stick, especially if any of them were stupid enough to bring a British flag, however I think calling them "huns" is a tad harsh. ;)

I'd say the Shels fans deserved a bit of stick, especially if any of them were stupid enough to bring a British flag, however I think calling them "huns" is a tad harsh. ;)

Indeed.:D

And we don't fund the Queen like serveral thousand Oirish goons who are kitted out head to toe in Sell Thick gear.

Anyway match is over now. Roll on Shels -v- Athlone on Friday in Tolka Park kick-off 8pm *hint hint*.:pac:

• Advertisement

If Celtic fans are having a slagging match with any set of fans they'll call them huns.

from CelticFC.net
    Outside Tolka Park, Dublin, before the game between Celtic reserves and Shelbourne, a successful operation by the Celtic Brand Protection team, working alongside the Garda, seized a quantity of counterfeit scarves and badges.

What's that about? :confused:

eirebhoy wrote: »
    What's that about? :confused:

Skobes selling fakes, outside Tolka Park.

Probably them godawful scarves of the visiting British team, emblazoned with an Irish flag.

Oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Skobes selling fakes, outside Tolka Park.

Probably them godawful scarves of the visiting British team, emblazoned with an Irish flag.

Oh wait.

And we don't fund the Queen like serveral thousand Oirish goons who are kitted out head to toe in Sell Thick gear.

Another juvenile post

Definitely an accurate one, nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Really?

So several thousand Celtic fans were Oirish? Tell me how
    Several thousand Celtic fans were goons? Tell me how
    Sell Thick does not sound accurate to me, maybe I do not live in a juvenile world though

Really?

Sell Thick does not sound accurate to me, maybe I do not live in a juvenile world though

I don't wanna get deep into this because its been done a thousand times, suffice to say my opinions on Irish Celtic fans isn't the highest.

Really?

1 - There are several thousand Celtic fans in Ireland. He doesnt specify last night
    2 - Mightnt have been several thousand of them at the dublin riots but hundreds at least, that No to foreign games guy ups numbers considerably
    3 - Sell Thick as in not Keltic as it should be pronounced.

bohsman wrote: »
    1 - There are several thousand Celtic fans in Ireland. He doesnt specify last night
    2 - Mightnt have been several thousand of them at the dublin riots but hundreds at least, that No to foreign games guy ups numbers considerably
    3 - Sell Thick as in not Keltic as it should be pronounced.

1. And? Where does the juvenile Oirish come into it?
    2. So your claim that a couple of hundred Celtic fans rioted in Dublin (evidence?) translates into several thousand goons last night?
    3. Not only do you claim there were several thousand Celtic goons last night, you want to tell them how to pronounce the club they support!! :confused:

I claim nothing of the sort, read my post again, specifically this part - He doesnt specify last night

I think we have and can all agree that theyre not true Celtic fans but they wear the gear and riot in it and think they are true fans - the photos were everywhere (look for the orange order march pics)

Its a play on words, I didnt make it up.

• Advertisement

Indeed.:D

Anyway match is over now. Roll on Shels -v- Athlone on Friday in Tolka Park kick-off 8pm *hint hint*.:pac:

Fund the Queen? :D How do you figure that?

I don't get the attitude on here to Irish Celtic fans I must say. I know a lot of it is just banter, but there's a real undertone of distain on here towards them, and mainly from Eircom League fans.

What's the story, or are y'all just closet huns? ;)

Fund the Queen - Celtic pay their taxes Im sure...

I feel the same about Celtic fans as I do about PL fans, the thing is that a lot of Celtic fans claim that theyre supporting an Irish team and laugh at the LOI while really there isnt much in it outside of the Old Firm. Youll often hear Sunderland and Celtic fans talk about their Irish links - theres 22 league clubs in Ireland with Irish links ffs. Oh and then theyll moan about how bad the Irish national team is while pumping their money into the FA and SFAs coffers.

A lot of generalisation I know and I have no problem with people supporting whoever they want but they shouldnt be making bad excuses for it.

Fund the Queen? :D How do you figure that?
    Some of the money from Sales of Celtic jersies goes to Celtic FC, who presumabley pay taxes in the UK Jurisdiction, taxes to the Queen's Government. Some of which fund the royal family.
    I don't get the attitude on here to Irish Celtic fans I must say. I know a lot of it is just banter, but there's a real undertone of distain on here towards them, and mainly from Eircom League fans.

Simple.

It's disdain to all "supporters" of British clubs, who won't support their home league, giving reasons such as "it's shoite", "crap grounds", "no ground local to me" etc etc

a. Of course it's crap, the money that should be sustaining it is draining to Britain every week.

b. ditto

c. no local ground? Well I'm sure Dalymount, Turner's X or wherever is more accessible to you than somewhere that you need a boat or a plane to get to.

Even more disdain is thrown to the Celtic "fans" who say they support Celtic "because they are Irish" when in fact they are Scottish (with an Irish heritage, big swinging mickey, LoI teams are IRISH and have an Irish heritage), when the real Irish clubs are dying.
    What's the story, or are y'all just closet huns? ;)

Closet? I'd swing Rangers' way on Old Firm Day, because it winds up Celtic "fans" saying I should support the "Irish/Catholic/Whatever" team. The hypocracy is brilliant.

Think we covered most of it between us.

The chips get bigger as each year passes :rolleyes:

Nope. Same points. Every time.

I know. "We tell them who they should support" is the best bit. Yet every time I come on here all I see is "SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TEAM" banners all over the kip.

Hypocracy eh? :rolleyes:

As for funding the Queen, none of you ever been to the UK, or bought UK goods/services then? All those Sky subscriptions eh? Or do you believe that you'd wind someone up by telling them that a fraction of the money they spent on a Celtic jersey end up in Buckingham Palace? Fcuks sake lads, try a bit harder.

Anyway, I like the old dear, lovely woman. God bless her.

I know. "We tell them who they should support" is the best bit. Yet every time I come on here all I see is "SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TEAM" banners all over the kip.

Hypocracy eh? :rolleyes:

How?

Here`s one.

If in a few years an Irish club found themselves meeting Gers in Europe, would you feel a bit embarassed if, as Im sure would happen, a few Glaswegians turned up at Ibrox to support the Irish club due to the ties between their own club Celtic and Ireland?

Personally I cant see how an Irish football fan cant feel a bit of pride seeing tens of thousands of tricolours in a rainsoaked stadium somewhere in Europe on a dark winters night as Fields of Athenry is belted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Personally I cant see how an Irish football fan cant feel a bit of pride seeing tens of thousands of tricolours in a rainsoaked stadium somewhere in Europe on a dark winters night as Fields of Athenry is belted out.

It would be cringeworthy. Tens of thousands of tricolours with CELTIC" wrote on them *shudder*

Funnily enough and it may be before you were born, back in 1998 I somehow recall an Irish team by the name of Shelbourne playing Rangers and nearly knocking them out. I did not see the beloved Celtic fans out in the droves that day fighting off the evil hun foe with their Irish "brothers"

• Advertisement
Advertisement