Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne - Celtic XI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

No, you're just being idiotic and facetious and intentionally (due to your prejudice) you're missing the point I'm trying to make.

What point are you trying to make? People are the nationality they are. It really is that simple. People can wanna be what they want, but they are what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Eirebear wrote: »

While were at it...who was the player that Irish fans mistakenly jeered when they thought he was Peter Lovendkrandz? What about Shota Arveladze? Where they right to do this?

They were booing representatives of a club who had an official sectarian stance and who still maintain a racist anti-Irish stance.

Is it any wonder these players were booed?

While we're at it care to share with others why Shota Arveladze was booed in Windsor Park??? (I'll give them a clue, as a Russian Orthodox he "blessed" himself coming onto the pitch and got booed for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

While we're at it care to share with others why Shota Arveladze was booed in Windsor Park???

Good man Bobbysands, good to see someone highlighting the hypocrasy of the "other side" too.

DSB wrote: »
    What point are you trying to make? People are the nationality they are. It really is that simple. People can wanna be what they want, but they are what they are.

Well answer the questions then about McGrath, O'Leary, Maloney etc... what Nationality are they? And whilst you're at it what Nationality is Townsend?

...and let's not forget that many people born in Ireland do not consider themselves Irish as well. Sports stars such as Kieran Bracken come to mind.

Maybe then you'll realise that Nationality is not black and white.

Taking Celtic fans out of the equation, I have many friends who were not born in Ireland but consider themselves Irish. Who is anyone to say they're not?

Well answer the questions then about McGrath, O'Leary, Maloney etc... what Nationality are they? And whilst you're at it what Nationality is Townsend?

Maybe then you'll realise that Nationality is not black and white.

Taking Celtic fans out of the equation, I have many friends who were not born in Ireland but consider themselves Irish. Who is anyone to say they're not?

I've no idea what nationality these people are. I don't know where they were born, or where their parents were from.

And I'd say the Irish government would be the people to say that they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

They were booing representatives of a club who had an official sectarian stance and who still maintain a racist anti-Irish stance.

Is it any wonder these players were booed?

While we're at it care to share with others why Shota Arveladze was booed in Windsor Park??? (I'll give them a clue, as a Russian Orthodox he "blessed" himself coming onto the pitch and got booed for it).
    Yes he was, im not going to defend that for a second.
    And no right minded Rangers fan would...unfortunately we have a very vocal minority of idiots who follow our club.
    But at least we can admit them.
    pvt.joker wrote: »
    Good man Bobbysands, good to see someone highlighting the hypocrasy of the "other side" too.

Huh? Have you even read this thread?

And I'd say the Irish government would be the people to say that they're not.

But I've negated that argument by giving you someone who has no interest in being Irish yet officially IS Irish??? You see it's not as black and white as you think it is.

As for the other I've told you where they were from.

Maloney - Malaysia but Scottish.

Butcher - Swedish but English.

McGrath - Born in London but Irish.

O'Leary - as above.

Babb - As above too.

I could come up with scores more too, I'll keep them non-Irish as well if you like like say Stuart McCall born in England (even refused to come on as a sub in an under 18 game for England as he realised it was a mistake) yet played (passionatly) for Scotland.

You negated nothing. Whether someone has an interest in being Irish or not, they are. All these technicalities you're spouting are absolute rubbish. Even if I wasn't interested in being Irish, I still am.

You negated nothing. Whether someone has an interest in being Irish or not, they are. All these technicalities you're spouting are absolute rubbish. Even if I wasn't interested in being Irish, I still am.

They're not "rubbish", they can't be, they are factual, if they are not then you can just refute them.

All the people I listed above are the Nationality they are regardless of what you think or say even though you are deeming them not to be.

You still haven't told me where YOU think they're from.

Are you going to tell me or are you going to admit that nationality ain't as black and white as you try to portray it?

I think they're from where they grew up and spent their life, or where their parents are from. I can't put it any simpler than that.

• Advertisement

I think they're from where they grew up and spent their life, or where their parents are from. I can't put it any simpler than that.

But you're wrong.

How then can you answer for McGeady or for Townsend, or Cascarino, or Houghton? None of them fit your definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So it was 1-1 yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

yep

But you're wrong.

How then can you answer for McGeady or for Townsend, or Cascarino, or Houghton? None of them fit your definition.

I don't consider those people Irish. Because they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So if Celtic came home theyd fit right in in the 1st Division?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So it was 1-1 yeah?

There was a game?! :D

I don't consider those people Irish. Because they aren't.

LOL!!! Your prejudice is fantastic!

Although legally Irish they're not cos you think so?!

Hilarious!!!

Hilarious!!!

Haha I can't believe I'm being called prejudiced by someone with the screenname Bobby Sands. But fair enough like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hilarious!!!

They weren't born in Ireland which ostensibly would seem to disqualify them as being Irish. As Irish as Celtic to be honest.

• Advertisement

Haha I can't believe I'm being called prejudiced by someone with the screenname Bobby Sands. But fair enough like.

Try educating yourself before making pronunciations you know nothing about.

My calling you prejudiced is based on actual prejudice you have shown. In one breath you say it's the Irish Govt that decide someone's nationality nad then in the next breath you state they can't be Irish cos YOU don't consider them so!

stovelid wrote: »
    They weren't born in Ireland which ostensibly would seem to disqualify them as being Irish.

But didn't. I've given you examples that disprove that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

this thread is demeaning on so many levels.

Bob, give over mhate, you are arguing with teenagers trying to get a rise out of you.

On that other forum a regular Shels man TAlks about how he despises a section of the Shels support because they cheer for the gers to wind people up. That sort of inane, childish approach to causing as much offence as possible is a step away from bringing swastikas onto the terrace. They will grow out of it around the time they realise that Shels 800 attendences have nothing to do with Celtic. How many Rovers and Bohs regulars do you know from your Parkhead jaunts?

As for the nationality question, I really don't know what gives DSB the right to 'decide' what Irish citizens are Irish or not. Appaling arrogance or weak wind up? I think its obvious.

this thread is demeaning on so many levels.

Bob, give over mhate, you are arguing with teenagers trying to get a rise out of you.

On that other forum a regular Shels man TAlks about how he despises a section of the Shels support because they cheer for the gers to wind people up. That sort of inane, childish approach to causing as much offence as possible is a step away from bringing swastikas onto the terrace. They will grow out of it around the time they realise that Shels 800 attendences have nothing to do with Celtic. How many Rovers and Bohs regulars do you know from your Parkhead jaunts?

As for the nationality question, I really don't know what gives DSB the right to 'decide' what Irish citizens are Irish or not. Appaling arrogance or weak wind up? I think its obvious.

I know the fella you're talking about mate.

I know the fella you're talking about mate.

and you know me as well.....

I take a lovely photo ;)

That sort of inane, childish approach to causing as much offence as possible is a step away from bringing swastikas onto the terrace. .

lol...what?
    Trying to wind up opposition fans at the football is a step away from being some sort of Nazi?

How does that work? :confused:

• Advertisement

and you know me as well.....

I take a lovely photo ;)

???

Not sure who you are tbh... unless you're the fella that secretly loves the GAA?!

lol...what?
    Trying to wind up opposition fans at the football is a step away from being some sort of Nazi?

How does that work? :confused:

There is a fundamental difference between winding up opposition fans and a group of Dublin based fans deciding to become Rangers fans. Immature isnt the word. The fact that they were openly talking about bringing union flags to a game to provoke a reaction from Celtic fans in Dublin is, in my opinion, a step beyond wind up (as would Engerlish fans bringing tricolours to Rangers games). Whats the next step beyond that? "Lets offend even more people, I know what will get us a reaction, maybe even the papers too...."

???

Not sure who you are tbh... unless you're the fella that secretly loves the GAA?!

No, try that one again..... :D

There is a fundamental difference between winding up opposition fans and a group of Dublin based fans deciding to become Rangers fans. Immature isnt the word. The fact that they were openly talking about bringing union flags to a game to provoke a reaction from Celtic fans in Dublin is, in my opinion, a step beyond wind up (as would Engerlish fans bringing tricolours to Rangers games). Whats the next step beyond that? "Lets offend even more people, I know what will get us a reaction, maybe even the papers too...."

I said earlier on in the thread that i thought the whole idea was pretty daft, but to say that its a step away from swastikas is every bit as daft mate.

I said earlier on in the thread that i thought the whole idea was pretty daft, but to say that its a step away from swastikas is every bit as daft mate.

(for once) I'm not comparing Rangers and Nazi's, I'm just commenting on the childish mentality, that to be fair is unique to Shels in LoI circles, that supports Rangers out of some form of protest about the fact that Celtic have Irish roots and the stated notion that they are going to cause as much offence as possible.

I don't like Liverpool, but I'm fcuked if I'm going to 'become' an Everton fan.

• Advertisement

(for once) I'm not comparing Rangers and Nazi's, I'm just commenting on the childish mentality, that to be fair is unique to Shels in LoI circles, that supports Rangers out of some form of protest about the fact that Celtic have Irish roots and the stated notion that they are going to cause as much offence as possible.

I don't like Liverpool, but I'm fcuked if I'm going to 'become' an Everton fan.

I don't know any Shels fans that are Rangers fans. I'm as happy if its Aberdeen or Hearts that beats Celtic. If you're gonna complain over me hating a club, you're a hypocrite, because most people here have that feeling towards some club.

I don't know any Shels fans that are Rangers fans. I'm as happy if its Aberdeen or Hearts that beats Celtic. If you're gonna complain over me hating a club, you're a hypocrite, because most people here have that feeling towards some club.

Have you met Des?

Most people on here do not 'hate' Celtic. Grow up.

Your 'hatred' of the club is based on something very close to racism. And thats racism against your own race.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Who's converted to supporting Rangers, and who openly talked about bringing Union Jacks? One poster in this thread mentioned the idea of welcoming a British team with a Union Jack as a tongue-in-cheek remark, the reactions do make for some interesting ways to pass the time in work though... :)

Have you met Des?

Your 'hatred' of the club is based on something very close to racism. And thats racism against your own race.....

Yes and he's most certainly not a Rangers 'fan'.

Who's converted to supporting Rangers, and who openly talked about bringing Union Jacks? One poster in this thread mentioned the idea of welcoming a British team with a Union Jack as a tongue-in-cheek remark, the reactions do make for some interesting ways to pass the time in work though... :)

trust me, the intent was there. they just couldnt find a flag

Yes and he's most certainly not a Rangers 'fan'.

despite claiming to be so on more than one occasion?

Have you met Des?

Read things properly, I never said everyone here hates Celtic. But most football fans have some club they just can't stand the sight of. For me its Celtic, and it certainly isn't racism against my own race. Celtic are a Scottish club from Glasgow, regardless of what they say. I'm an Irishman from Dublin. So by that logic, I support a club from Dublin.

despite claiming to be so on more than one occasion?

He wants Rangers to beat Celtic. That doesn't make him a fan. That just means he doesn't like Celtic.

I want Arsenal/Chelsea/Wigan/Spurs etc to beat United. Doesn't mean I 'support' any of them outside of that game.

Maybe I'm wrong and Des is a Rangers fan but I don't think he even possesses a Gers shirt never mind anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

He wants Rangers to beat Celtic. That doesn't make him a fan. That just means he doesn't like Celtic.

I want Arsenal/Chelsea/Wigan/Spurs etc to beat United. Doesn't mean I 'support' any of them outside of that game.

Maybe I'm wrong and Des is a Rangers fan but I don't think he even possesses a Gers shirt never mind anything else.

I'm with you on this one Xavi, I'm fairly sure Des just doesn't like Celtic/Oirish Celtic fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

You are anti white people if you hate Celtic? Personally I hate them because they wear green and white hoops but thats nothing to do with Scottish football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Really? :D Ah comedy goldmine you are, good work sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I would have thought Rangers fans would be predominantly Scottish? Why use English fans as an example?

That made me chuckle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I like what you done with the bold there.:D

BTW our attendences would be more on the 1,000 mark, unless we're playing Dundalk when they usually bring about 400 so it's higher.

On the Shels - Rangers fans discussion, I only know of one Shels fan who owns a Rangers jersey.:pac:

I only know of one Shels fan who owns a Rangers jersey.:pac:

Is he Scottish?

If he's Irish I presume you hate him like you hate all Irish Celtic fans.

Was gonna start attending Shels games with pals of mine that go all the time but if this is systematic of the type of fans that frequent Tolka Park then I might think twice.

On the Shels - Rangers fans discussion, I only know of one Shels fan who owns a Rangers jersey.:pac:
    This is a mole hill.

Was gonna start attending Shels games with pals of mine that go all the time but if this is systematic of the type of fans that frequent Tolka Park then I might think twice.

This is a mountain.

The hypocrisy of the likes of Gavin Shels, Xavi, DSB etc... who slate Irish folks for not supporting their local club so they then support another club that hates them cos they are Irish?

You're like kids that never got any attention growing up so this is your way of getting noticed.

Go over to Ibrox and see how well you get received.

This is how Graham Spiers in the Times chronicled Robbie Keane's debut for Liverpool

"Long before the end of this the Rangers fans, having got off their usual steam about Keane, an Irish Catholic, despoiling the Ibrox turf, had slunk towards the exits, with not even a rousing rendition of God Save The Queen to satisfy their sophisticated taste buds"

...yet you guys are more than happy to link yourself to an institutionally sectarian and racist football club out of protest and to make a point??? Give me a break lads.

The hypocrisy of the likes of Gavin Shels, Xavi, DSB etc... who slate Irish folks for not supporting their local club so they then support another club that hates them cos they are Irish?

Ah quit your whinin will ya?

I don't like Celtic and the people who support them. I LOVE when they lose, whether it's against Rangers, Dundee, or Inverness SuperCallygoballistic.

It's nothing to do with politics because I don't mix that shite with my football. Just because I'm Irish does not mean I should have some sort of affiliation with a Scottish club.
    Go over to Ibrox and see how well you get received.

Why would I? I'm not a Rangers fan and I don't like Scottish football.
    This is how Graham Spiers in the Times chronicled Robbie Keane's debut for Liverpool

"Long before the end of this the Rangers fans, having got off their usual steam about Keane, an Irish Catholic, despoiling the Ibrox turf, had slunk towards the exits, with not even a rousing rendition of God Save The Queen to satisfy their sophisticated taste buds"

Yeah poor Robbie :rolleyes:
    ...yet you guys are more than happy to link yourself to an institutionally sectarian and racist football club out of protest and to make a point??? Give me a break lads.

I'm sorry but I don't link myself to Rangers in any way thank you very much.

I support Manchester City and Shelbourne. I hate Manchester United and Celtic.

As Xavi said, I don't support Rangers at all. I couldn't even name that much of their first 11, I could name a few. I just don't like Celtic. If Rangers play them I hope Rangers win, if Ajax play them I hope Ajax win, if Dunfermline play them I hope Dunfermline win, if Sporting Fingal play them I hope they draw.

• Advertisement

Yeah poor Robbie :rolleyes:

This to me is very telling. The Irish captain suffered some vile racial abuse and your response is a flippant :rolleyes:.

If he got the treatment because of the colour of his skin would you be so blazé? At one level, this points to the confidence of the modern Irish teenager that the bigotry and bile that exists towords them washes over them, but I worry at the same time about their total lack of any concept of right and wrong and solidarity. I blame Bebo.

Its very, very, interesting that the bulk of the anti-Celtic bile on this site comes from Shels fans acting the hardman behind their keyboards.

Advertisement