Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done by the speedgun - are you left worrying for days on end?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Id say most people have been here. Driving along in autopilot, thinking about whatever at maybe 5-10mph over the limit, then BAM, you realise you just passed a white van with a camera lens pointing out the back or a Garda car on the embankment. Do you:

a) Half freeze with shock, then come down with a trance-like sweat while you contemplate deeply for the rest of the journey and then some, the big question of a certain letter in the post etc. (Perhaps you drive back around to double check it was a speed camera?)

or

b) Not give 2 monkeys, and drive on to Tescos with abandon.

I get the impression that some folks feel like death when this happens. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I've always gotten a serious adrenaline dump into my stomach when I think I've been caught by the Gardai.

I'm firmly in the "a" camp!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's a painus in the anus alright, I wish they'd have big screens saying "09-D-12345 you've been caught, expect a letter in the post within 6 months!" at least then you'd know!

I've been extremely lucky. I was driving down to Wexford for a family event I was late for so was "going faster than the sign posts" but not speeding :p and I caught up with my sister and her bf who were also "going faster than the sign posts", so I just kept behind (well he was in the overtaking lane, tut tut, and me in the driving lane) but we were still both "going faster than the signposts" then I saw him hit the brakes, so I did too, then a hundred or 2 meters later, a Garda car came out behind us to pull one of us over, but in this time, another car raced up behind him and started beeping (for him to move over) and the Garda had caught up and saw this so when my sisters bf pulled into the driving lane, the other car sped past and was pulled straight over, I don't think he saw the Garda car until it had it's blue lights on after they had both passed us :D

Is there a number you can ring to find out if you have any points pending?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have to say I get a small shock when I think I have been caught, but generally fall into the b) category.
    There is not a whole lot you can do at that stage - if you've been caught then fair enough, if not then happy days.
    I've passed my fair share of speed checks while hovering "Around" the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Get that gut renching feeling, as sh*t what speed was a actually doing on the speedo. It sucks, ive had a couple of escapes. Im never too far above the limit, with a car and speed gun, im always safe in the knowledge, somebody will be going faster then me!

I hate the fact of not knowing, dreading the post arriving for the next 6months!

I went by a high topped van with the camera once doing about 5 - 10 mph over. That was 2 and a half years ago and I've heard nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was coming down the back road between Ratoath and Navan yesterday doing just over the 80 km/h limit when at a junction (in the shade of the trees) there was a Garda with a tripod. I was astonished to see them anywhere other than nice wide dual carriageways/motorways.

Luckily for me he had it pointing the other way :D (I still warned the oncoming traffic though!) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Getting done is just like a buebottle laying its eggs in a piece of meat Ie, it takes time before the maggots hatch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Last time i thought i was done was at the end of the climbing lane Limerick bound just before you come into Dalys Cross in Limerick.

What a mean evil place for a speed check. :mad:

After waiting since before Toomevara to get ahead of the slowcoach in front of you they take great glee in nailing you in the one spot you can get ahead of them.

Was probably 30 over the 100 limit but got on the brakes smartish and got it back to maybe 10 and havent heard anything since (it was over 2 months ago) so heres hoping!

did you get ahead of him in the end? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Can it really be 6 months after youre caught that you actualy get a letter???I was poosisilby caught back in April and was dreading the post up until june or so when i started to believe i wasnt caught!!This thread isnt exactly reassuring me!!About 38mph in a 36(60km/h) zone FFS

• Advertisement

You wont hear anything for that speed. There were some stats released there a while back and something like 95% of speeding offences were for speeds more than 10% over the limit which is good to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If you were done by a speedgun AKA Hairdryer then if the copper didnt wave you in then you are sound. The hairdryer doesnt take photos so if the copper was standing pointing the gun at the lane of traffic and you werent waved you are OK.

If it was a GATSO then thats a different story but judging by the title of your thread Im assuming it was the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Most speedos are out by 10-15% at the best of times at higher speeds - I was driving at 120kph according to my car on the motorway my satnav showed 110kph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

cormie wrote: »
    did you get ahead of him in the end? :)

Ohhh yeaaahhh!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I usually leave a little stain on the seat if I see a gatso, even when I am within the limit....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I spotted the traffic core on the complete opposite side of the dual carrigeway on the ORR in Waterford as I was driving home last night. The guard was in the car, but I saw no indication of any speed camera as I drove past. odd

Advertisement