Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance gone up

Options
  • 29-07-2008 7:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Got my insurance quote last night and the bloody thing has gone up €380. 34 married driving a 98 trueno, North Co Dublin. last year it was €506 fully comp. 4 years NCB

any else had theres gone up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

dade wrote: »
    Got my insurance quote last night and the bloody thing has gone up €380. 34 married driving a 98 trueno, North Co Dublin. last year it was €506 fully comp. 4 years NCB

i thought insurance was coming down....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

minxie1 wrote: »
    i thought insurance was coming down....

So did I, but I was informed by my insurance company(FBD) that it had gone up. Last year I paid €700, this year they were looking for €760 and that took my 25% NCD into account apparently. That would have my policy about a grand without the NCD? Can't understand it but it's made me shop around for another quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Magicman1 wrote: »
    So did I, but I was informed by my insurance company(FBD) that it had gone up. Last year I paid €700, this year they were looking for €760 and that took my 25% NCD into account apparently. That would have my policy about a grand without the NCD? Can't understand it but it's made me shop around for another quote!
    You mean you wouldn't shop around regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

34 married
    Is your spouse on the policy? It's often less expensive if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 L1979

FBD Load insurance if your car is over seven years old, take a look at quick quote on their website.

If your ringing around for a better quote dont let other companies know you are currently with FBD, they will just match their offer not even trying to get your business.

But on a positive note FBD are increasing all premium so your not alone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

From what I heard, insurance had dropped as far as it was going to. There was no discussion about it going up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get a quote from other insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 L1979

FBD provide no claims protection cover, similar to alot of other insurance companies. However, there are no restrictions on the number of claims within a particular period. They have probably found this to be quite costly in certain instances and they are punishing the masses rather then the few.

There are cheaper quotes available, if you shop around! but if you have it in the back of your mind to go on a spree ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Was insured through the AA with AIG I think and when I got my renewal the other day it went up quite a bit.

I rang FBD which were crap, but OneDirect gave me a decent quote.

Anyway it turned out that the AA had to send me out a renewal notification and quote on a certain date even though this wasnt the cheapest. When I rang them up they had a cheaper quote from Alliance (500 euro cheaper!)

Anyway fyg 31 married (with wife on policy) full clean driving licence and full no claims on a 07 535d worked out at €770

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

My renewal with Quinn went up from 380 to 790 fully comp on a 01 bmw 320ci
    Shopped around and managed to get third party f&t with No Noncence for 350
    They are under written by FBD but I think Ryanair have something to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I'd get a good broker if I was you and shop around. Usually one who is long established and would be more into volume sales than margins.

Every other year my premium seems to go up so they end up switching me to another company that has some introductory offer, Blah, blah.

Otherwise, I'd put the gun to their head (if you deal directly with Ins Co.) tell them you can do much better and call their bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Insurance is going up, no doubt about it.

A lot of people Ive talked to have said their policy premium is going up significantly

I'm dreading my renewal! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Is your spouse on the policy? It's often less expensive if they are.

yeah she is, 4 year provisional no claims, both of us have no points either.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Get a quote from other insurance companies.

am doing, checked Allianz (my current insurer) website, strange that they quote me 420 there with 300 worth of ICE :confused: so called AA who i got policy through and they called allianz who where dismayed at the quote and said they would look into it and call me back. its strange coz looking at the policy renewal they are also saying i only have 2 years NCB, My first 2 where with Quinn (shudder) claim free they just confirmed over the phone to me, then one year with AIG, and two with Allianz so someone messed up on the transfer of my no claims or something.

called Axa and they quoted €580, which is slightly higher than last year but with only €90 excess

Britton quoted me €730 with claims protection and €250 excess

direct XS was in the 530 region this morning but don't have a no claims protection or some such lark.

FBD wont touch me according to their website coz it's an import the swines

Hibernian are quoting 700 without even checking the model over the net.

guess i have a long day on the phone ahead of me.
    anyone recommend any decent brokers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

Bluetonic wrote: »
    You mean you wouldn't shop around regardless?

I always do....only moved to FBD last year because of the very competitive quote they gave me compared to others at the time. My policy isn't up for another 3 weeks and, unless they can do better, they won't be getting my business this year. The shopping around has begun....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Is this the first renewal on the car?Id put it down to the car itself after changing to a higher insurance bracket being what it is and not down to your personal details eg age/ncb ect

eireal wrote: »
    Is this the first renewal on the car?Id put it down to the car itself after changing to a higher insurance bracket being what it is and not down to your personal details eg age/ncb ect

no I've the car two years next week so this will be the third policy on it, initial polict was teh low 700s, then low 500s for last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Shop around.....when you get the lowest price go back to FBD and they'll pretty much match it. Did it last year, got the lowest quote with 123.ie:)

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Shop around.....when you get the lowest price go back to FBD and they'll pretty much match it. Did it last year, got the lowest quote with 123.ie:)

even though their website say they won't quote on an Import?

also checked out chill.ie (new name for insureme.ie or something):
    AXA MotorFirst Basic €516.12
    AXA MotorFirst Standard €520.17
    Allianz €526.18
    XS Direct Start €559.14
    AXA MotorFirst Plus €571.17
    Hibernian Broker Motorchoice €656.88
    E/Star - Motorstar €846.59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I was with FBD for 30 years, big policy, cars, jeeps, publicy libality , home, buildings, personal accident, etc.,etc. I must have paid them hundreds of thousands.

When i looked for car cover for my 17 year daughter they literally quoted me telephone figures, with a take it or leave it attitude. I got cover from quinn quite reasonable, she has now just bought her own car, & got cover in her own name from Axa through an http://www.sertus.ie/ independent broker.

My main multliplyer policy is due for renewal in a few weeks time & I promise you one thing fbd will never ever get one more penny of my cash.

Just called Zurich (eagle star) and quoted €597
    FBd initially quoted €940, but called back 5 minutes later and said because the wife is only an occasional driver she can be classed as a mature driver dropping down to €575.

123.ie are quoting me €1200 through Eagle star:confused:

so time to wait on Allianze to call back and see why teh f*cked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

any of ye with sertus underwriting ltd? Only through brokers but gave me a savage cheap price last year, think it was 350 comp on 06 focus, 30yo unmarried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Jesus that's pretty rough Snowman, but fair play to you.

Axa took into account my father being with them for 20 years and dropped my a quote for me by about 20% - I ended up staying with Quinn because they matched the quote when they heard I was planning to leave them and I didn't want to leave mid-policy and lose the guts of that particular year of no claims.

Whenever my policy is nearing renewal, Quinn usually send out a renewal form which is either the same price or more expensive than what I'm currently paying. Then I go online and see their quote is cheaper on their website than their renewal form... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

snowman707 wrote: »
    I was with FBD for 30 years, big policy, cars, jeeps, publicy libality , home, buildings, personal accident, etc.,etc. I must have paid them hundreds of thousands.

When i looked for car cover for my 17 year daughter they literally quoted me telephone figures, with a take it or leave it attitude. I got cover from quinn quite reasonable, she has now just bought her own car, & got cover in her own name from Axa through an http://www.sertus.ie/ independent broker.

My main multliplyer policy is due for renewal in a few weeks time & I promise you one thing fbd will never ever get one more penny of my cash.

In fairness Snowman, the risk your daughter presents is in no way negated by the amount of business you've done with them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

That's obviously true but considering, as Snowman says, the amount of money he's given to them over the years and his loyalty to them, it wouldn't be that unusual for a company to treat said customer with a little more generosity.

well got a call from the AA and they said Allianz gave the excuse they had the car misclassified last year. it was down as a grade 10 and should have been a grade 20 what ever that means.

called a broker in blanch and he can get me with axa for under 400 so gonna get him to forward me the details

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I was a bit worried having changed to a more powerful car just before renewal, but I think it's dropped about €100.

Since my first policy as the main driver 8 years ago, it's come down from a record high of about €3500 to €580.

eoin_s wrote: »
    I was a bit worried having changed to a more powerful car just before renewal, but I think it's dropped about €100.

Since my first policy as the main driver 8 years ago, it's come down from a record high of about €3500 to €580.

same as yourself, started out on a 1.3 fiesta cost about 3K, insured it in August 5 years ago. passed my test in the Nov and got a rebate of about 690, that was with Quinn. stayed with them for a further year coz it dropped to about 1200 for year 2. year 3 went to AIG coz i got it for 960 or so coz Quinn didn't drop the price much, picked up the 1.6 Trueno in July 2 years ago an AIG refused to quote me and i had to scream blue murder to get them to cover me for the remainder of my policy (4 weeks or so) then switched to Allianz who came in at 760 or so, that dropped to about 510. now Allianz have said they misclassified the car last year (don't they mean two years ago??) and it'll cost me 930.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Honey-ec wrote: »
    In fairness Snowman, the risk your daughter presents is in no way negated by the amount of business you've done with them over the years.

I fully appreciate that, I forget the exact figures but I think it was almost €800 more than quinn, if they had been a couple of hundred more I might have taken it

If anything it was their attitude towards me and her as well . I am a farmer by the way & was discussing this with some of my friends I have found they have been treated similary & likewise are leaving FBD big time.

Advertisement