Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat or Celica!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nah, just actually having driven both exact models in question, that's how I see it.

My own car is a high-revving Jap, with variable valve trickery that can rev to indecent heights, it is a quick car for a 1/4 mile or 0-60, but to get that performance into every day driving, you have to keep the revs up, in a car like the passat, you can leave it in 5th, and relax.

I much prefer the petrol though.

Ok, in summary so:

Passat = relaxing farmer car
    Celica = high revving 0-60 burner

Are we all in agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

The Celica looks far more expensive than the mundane passat ..if you dont have kids or need loads of room ,go with the celica

Get it in white - defo the best colout for the generation 7 model :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JHMEG wrote: »
    Ok, in summary so:

Are we all in agreement?

But the 140 Celica doesn't even do the real high revving stuff that the VVTL-i model does,

The 130bhp Passat is very good at effortlessly overtaking loads of cars at once, doing this in a Celica involves lots of gear changes. leaving it in 6th just isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Ok, in summary so:

Are we all in agreement?

Let me jump in here.

Not really, the passat 130bhp is nippy enough and the 130's had a 6 speed box too. I wouldn't class it as a farmer car either.

0-60, ok the celica will probably win hands down but from 40-80km/h that passat would pull far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

imo this guy would be crazy to buy the petrol car, based on uh all the driving he'll be doing. Bills will take the fun out of it.

• Advertisement

A Mondeo 130 Ebony would be worth considering too, great car to drive and fab fuel economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Randy Katana

I have driven both cars also and much prefer the passat. I would fancy the 130bhp passat everytime over a 140 bph celica and the torque the passat puts out is good. Plenty of power at take off, powering out of bends and over taking. As someone mentioned you dont have to shift gears to get the most out of the engine like you would have to do in the Celica. Im only 22 not an 'old farmer' and prefer the shape of the passat. Passat is a much classier car in my opinion and the Celica is fairly crap when it comes to mpg

Ok, in summary so:

Are we all in agreement?

The passat is far more than a farmers car , it also doubles up has a fine taxi

Passat = relaxing farmer car /taxi

so you're saying the Celica is a sports car?

so you're saying the Celica is a sports car?

They certainly look the part anyways and the vttl-i has plenty of poke

• Advertisement

The OP is looking at the non VVTL-i version though.

It's an alright looking car in the way a Hyundai Coupe is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

So, ok, here's where we're at:

Passat = relaxing farmer car / taxi
    Celica 140 = not so relaxing farmer car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

we've been taken over by cruise-irl.

The OP is looking at the non VVTL-i version though.

It's an alright looking car in the way a Hyundai Coupe is nice.

Considering the Celica shape hasent changed since 1999 , it still looks fresh today .

IMO it looks better than the current Hyundai Coupe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I have driven both cars also and much prefer the passat. I would fancy the 130bhp passat everytime over a 140 bph celica and the torque the passat puts out is good. Plenty of power at take off, powering out of bends and over taking. As someone mentioned you dont have to shift gears to get the most out of the engine like you would have to do in the Celica. Im only 22 not an 'old farmer' and prefer the shape of the passat. Passat is a much classier car in my opinion and the Celica is fairly crap when it comes to mpg

I really can't believe what I'm reading here. Are ye all one handed or have he a short left hand, or missing fingers? Or maybe it's ye're left foot that's out of shape? It's the only way to explain why ye're so afraid of changing gear.
    Power at take off? The Celica is quicker, full stop. Don't believe me? Find me a Celica, go find a Passat for ye're selves, and we'll pick a straight, track, anywhere and I'll hand ye your arse.
    I can't stress this enough - THE PASSAT IS SLOWER THAN THE CELICA.
    Real world? What's that? If in the real world there was a ban on dropping a gear or 3, then yes, but that's not the real world where I live. Behind a truck doing 50mph in the Celica? Use 3rd.
    The 01-05 Passat is a sh!t car from a drivers' point of view. It's not even the most comfortable in it's class if it's comfort you're after.
    At OP, get a Celica or as suggested above, Mondeo if you want Comfort.
    MPG? 420 miles from a tank as opposed to 600 with the Passat, similar sized tank. Not a massive amount for day-to-day runnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I think its pretty easy to spot the defensive passat owners on this thread...

The passat is nothing more than an average 4 door family saloon. It doesnt look great, it doesnt drive very well and its not fast either. The mondeo is a better car.

The celica is not without faults but if the two cars were side by side only a fool would get into the passat if driving pleasure was the main criteria.

I'm not sure that driving pleasure is the main concern of the OP.

Celicas are alright, the 140bhp is nippy - but don't be fooled into thinking it's some sort of weapon.

Celicas are alright, the 140bhp is nippy - but don't be fooled into thinking it's some sort of weapon.

I agree with you 100% but when compared to the passat its a much more desireable car for someone who wants more from a car than getting from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Jeez, this thread has really taken off.

Afraid I'm not a mayo farmer :)

I travel from galway to dundalk most wkend and the roads are pretty twisty, and not the best so was considering the Passat for comfort and fuel ecomony. It would also have a good bit of poke with the 130BHP engine.

I was ready to buy, but then saw a celica which I consider more stylish. It might be quicker and more fun in the corners, but I don't want a rough ride across the country, and I'd imagine it would be expensive to insure (I'm only paying 400 for the corolla atm).

My head says Passat, but my heart would love a celica...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

My head says Passat, but my heart would love a celica...

Get it then. You have the rest of your life for Passats. The Celica isn't uncomfortable. You have to look towards Type R Honda's for real uncompromised stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

The Celica is quicker, full stop. Don't believe me? Find me a Celica, go find a Passat for ye're selves, and we'll pick a straight, track, anywhere and I'll hand ye your arse.

ColmMcm has already proved you wrong in this regard you ignoramus. He has had both and has concluded that the Passat is faster.

Spot the defensive Celica owners here.

The passat is nothing more than an average 4 door family saloon. It doesnt look great, it doesnt drive very well and its not fast either. The mondeo is a better car.
    Wrong.
    Best in class when released (and throughout its life in my opnion)
    Looks great. Very nice proportions in good spec models.
    Drives fairly nicely for a FWD, some quattros as well.ESP is quite common with them.
    It is fast relative to 80% of cars on the roads.
    Mondeo is like but it is overall an inferior car. Poor cabin design, cheaper fittings.

Wrong.
    Best in class when released (and throughout its life in my opnion)
    Looks great. Very nice proportions in good spec models.
    Drives fairly nicely for a FWD, some quattros as well.ESP is quite common with them.
    It is fast relative to 80% of cars on the roads.
    Mondeo is like but it is overall an inferior car. Poor cabin design, cheaper fittings.

Sounds exactly like something my grandad would say to me :eek:

As for the comment about them being faster than 80% of other cars on the road, well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

just as a quick point on the passats- my dad's company uses them as a company car.. and apparently they have had to give most of them back to the dealers with faults...

As an aside, I'm also in the market for a 2001 celica. I have been looking at one in particular on carzone off and on since march. It's currently over the 13k mark.
    Due to the fact it's been on the forecourt so long, I'm thinking about offering in the region of 11.5k (once my mechanic looks at it/it's been serviced/ blah blah). Does anyone reckon with the 'current climate' that I'd get away so cheaply??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

fast compared to 80% of other cars on the road?
    you're fooling no one with that, it's not fast compared to a corsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

ColmMcm has already proved you wrong in this regard you ignoramus. He has had both and has concluded that the Passat is faster.

The Celica is lighter and more powerful, how can it be slower?

Oh, yes, it's slower if you are able to change up into top gear and cruise, but somehow unable to drop a gear or three to overtake.

Why are automatics so unpopular in Ireland when half the drivers here seem unwilling or unable to use a manual properly?

microbio wrote: »
    just as a quick point on the passats- my dad's company uses them as a company car.. and apparently they have had to give most of them back to the dealers with faults...

As an aside, I'm also in the market for a 2001 celica. I have been looking at one in particular on carzone off and on since march. It's currently over the 13k mark.
    Due to the fact it's been on the forecourt so long, I'm thinking about offering in the region of 11.5k (once my mechanic looks at it/it's been serviced/ blah blah). Does anyone reckon with the 'current climate' that I'd get away so cheaply??

Try 10k. Thats the reality of the car market at the moment and its not going to change.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like something my grandad would say to me :eek:

As for the comment about them being faster than 80% of other cars on the road, well....
    Well what? Go look up 0-60 figures then on the most popular cars in Ireland. Go look up torque figures as well. It is a fast car full stop.

The Celica is lighter and more powerful, how can it be slower?
    Less torque, **** design.

The passat is tuned down, it can easily have 150bhp if it wants. Even stock it has a top speed quicker than the Celica.

• Advertisement

Less torque, **** design.

You know nothing about cars based on comments like that. Have a read about how light cars that have high rev limits and short gear ratios negate the need for high torque figures.

Gwan away and enjoy your average run of the mill family car so we can actually talk about cars that are in some way interesting to drive and not just designed to get from A to B. Passat a fast car me hole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement