Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat or Celica!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Well what? Go look up 0-60 figures then on the most popular cars in Ireland. Go look up torque figures as well. It is a fast car full stop.

No it's not, unless you spend most of your time in trucks or transits.

It's just not a slow car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Try 10k. Thats the reality of the car market at the moment and its not going to change.

10k?! thought they would have laughed me outta the place on 10!
    whoo- whoo. cheap celica here i come! :D
    would i be pushing my luck to insist on a time belt change on that?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

You know nothing about cars based on comments like that. Have a read about how light cars that have high rev limits and short gear ratios negate the need for high torque figures.

Gwan away and enjoy your average run of the mill family car so we can actually talk about cars that are in some way interesting to drive and not just designed to get from A to B. Passat a fast car me hole.

If you want that sort of driving just get into a racing in Mondello. The Celica is a tinker mobile and not for a grown ups. Real driving is about comfort, economy, speed and takes place on mostly straight roads.

microbio wrote: »

Be braver and get 9.5k and a belt change ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

microbio wrote: »

Im not saying they wont laugh but the car wont shift anytime soon at 13k and unless they want the car stuck in the forecourt for the next 6 months they wont get more than 10k for it in this climate.

Call him up and let him know you're serious and have cash and you never know how you might fare!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

Im not saying they wont laugh but the car wont shift anytime soon at 13k and unless they want the car stuck in the forecourt for the next 6 months they wont get more than 10k for it in this climate.

Call him up and let him know you're serious and have cash and you never know how you might fare!
    daRobot wrote: »
    Be braver and get 9.5k and a belt change ;)

Thanks for the advice lads (? presumably :D) they always take advantage of us girlies.. and never did like bargaining.. always feel a bit cheeky!

If you want that sort of driving just get into a racing in Mondello. The Celica is a tinker mobile and not for a grown ups. Real driving is about comfort, economy, speed and takes place on mostly straight roads.

I might be mistaken but i would have thought that people on a motoring forum would want more from their car than comfort and economy. You really are coming across as someone who has no real interest in cars, "tinker mobile" talk about ignorant.

You're really just embarrassing yourself again on this thread as you seem to have done countless times on others.

What makes you any authority on what "Real driving" is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

daRobot wrote: »
    It's just not a slow car.

True. But by the same token the Celica 140 is not a fast car either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Less torque

You know that thing operated by the stick with the knob on the end? Near your left hand? If you press the pedal on the left with your foot, and then move that stick to a different slot, then release the pedal, it changes to a thing called a "lower gear". You are even allowed to do this in a diesel Passat!

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    You know that thing operated by the stick with the knob on the end? Near your left hand? If you press the pedal on the left with your foot, and then move that stick to a different slot, then release the pedal, it changes to a thing called a "lower gear". You are even allowed to do this in a diesel Passat!
    Well thats for makign sure you are in peak torque and BHP range. But it doesnt give you extra torque. Use your head a bit.

I might be mistaken but i would have thought that people on a motoring forum would want more from their car than comfort and economy. You really are coming across as someone who has no real interest in cars, "tinker mobile" talk about ignorant.

We don't all have to love cars the same way here. If I had a choice of car it wouldnt be some ferarri or Evo10 it would be an A8 or S class. Thats what I like in cars. Class, speed, refinement and luxury. Passats give me all of the above on a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

10-11k is about right for a 01, yeah.

A standard VVTi Celica is going to be marginally quicker than the Passat, but it'll handle an awful lot better. It also lookes 10x better than, probably the most boring car on the road, the Passat.

And jesus christ, I'd never thought I'd see the day where people would be saying Passat's were fast cars, especially the 130bhp diesel.

But it doesnt give you extra torque.

Do tell us more about gearboxes! We'd love to hear you explain!

Well thats for makign sure you are in peak torque and BHP range. But it doesnt give you extra torque. Use your head a bit.

Read one of my older posts about high revs and torque and learn more about it before telling someone to use their head.
    We don't all have to love cars the same way here. If I had a choice of car it wouldnt be some ferarri or Evo10 it would be an A8 or S class. Thats what I like in cars. Class, speed, refinement and luxury. Passats give me all of the above on a budget.

Buy an older 7 series or LS430 if you want speed, class and refinement on a budget from a car. Not only are they cheaper than the passat they 5 times the car also. I dont mean to insult you but the passat is nothing like you think it is, its not even a decent reliable family saloon by modern standards. The mondeo, mazda 6 and dare I say it the focus are light years ahead of the passat.

Read one of my older posts about high revs and torque and learn more about it before telling someone to use their head.

Buy an older 7 series or LS430 if you want speed, class and refinement on a budget from a car. Not only are they cheaper than the passat they 5 times the car also. I dont mean to insult you but the passat is nothing like you think it is, its not even a decent reliable family saloon by modern standards. The mondeo, mazda 6 and dare I say it the focus are light years ahead of the passat.

its always overstated here about how much better the Mondeo is. It rides and handles better than the Passat and that is it. Car enthusiasts give too much weight to these when there are many other important aspects about a car.

The Passat was the catalyst for all these high quality family saloons you see now. It was the first that brought premium levels of quality to the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭blackbox

Well, while changing down may not give you more torque at the flywheel, it actually does give you more torque at the driving wheels.

Torque: the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis.

see post above from daRobot.:o

so how do you increase a cars peak torque then by changing gears. Say I have a 5 speed punto and I want to get 500lbs/ft of torque like proper supercar. How does changing gears give me this?

Seriously lads, you are clashing with your intellectual superior here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ROFLMAO!!!

This is the funniest thread on here in a while!

BTW, I too want to know how I can get 500 lb/ft of torque out of my Civic. Will changing gears be enough or should I get it chipped? Or maybe a performance exhaust?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

OOOooh no he didn't !! *Clicks fingers around face wildly*

• Advertisement

so how do you increase a cars peak torque then by changing gears.

Not only do you not understand cars, you don't even understand Lego Technic.

Zube wrote: »
    Not only do you not understand cars, you don't even understand Lego Technic.
    I've asked the question again and again but nobody will give me an answer. That would make me believe they don't know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

so how do you increase a cars peak torque then by changing gears. Say I have a 5 speed punto and I want to get 500lbs/ft of torque like proper supercar. How does changing gears give me this?

I actually can't be bothered explaining this to an 'intellectual' so:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

Read it, you might learn something.

I've asked the question again and again but nobody will give me an answer. That would make me believe they don't know what they are talking about.

First you need to understand what exactly torque means, only then can you understand why its not so important in cars with engines with high crank rotational speeds or to you simply rpm.

First you need to understand what exactly torque means, only then can you understand why its not so important in cars with engines with high crank rotational speeds or to you simply rpm.

'BHP sells cars, Torque wins races'

'BHP sells cars, Torque wins races'

I thought it was comfort refinement and class that sold cars :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ColmMcm has already proved you wrong in this regard you ignoramus. He has had both and has concluded that the Passat is faster.

Spot the defensive Celica owners here.

I'm not a Celica owner, but have owned one for 3 years, I know what it can and can't do. It's not a fast car, but it IS faster than a 130bhp Passat. ColmMcm didn't prove me wrong - he didn't even state that the Passat was quicker (he said in real world conditions, which he most likely meant everyday relaxed driving), and you'd do well to apologise to me for calling me an ignoramus, because if you're so hung up on figures for your Passat then you might notice that the Celica figures beat the Passat's ones.

Wrong.
    Best in class when released (and throughout its life in my opnion)
    Looks great. Very nice proportions in good spec models.
    Drives fairly nicely for a FWD, some quattros as well.ESP is quite common with them.
    It is fast relative to 80% of cars on the roads.
    Mondeo is like but it is overall an inferior car. Poor cabin design, cheaper fittings.

Best in class when released maybe, that was in 1997. 2001 was only a face lift and that's when it fell behind. Looks great? Fair enough... won't let you decorate my house! Good spec? Even VW knew that the Passat was scantily spec'd, that's why they took over in 2006 and started importing themselves into this country and immediately upped the spec on all VW's.
    Mondeo - poor cabin design? Same guy who designed the Passat designed the Mondeo.
    I don't know what your story is, but you're showing yourself up in this thread for what you aren't - a real petrol head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

LE mans 24hr won with a TDi. Ahem.! :)

Passat has a higher top speed than Celica. Theres a figure for you.
    Passat is quicker from 30-50, 30-70 and 50-70 figures that would also interest a racing driver.

But of course the Celica is quicker to 60 and we all know how often that is put into practice.

ps.
    2001 was not just a face lift. You are showing your ignorance here.

• Advertisement

Passat has a higher top speed than Celica. Theres a figure for you.
    Passat is quicker from 30-50, 30-70 and 50-70 figures that would also interest a racing driver.

But of course the Celica is quicker to 60 and we all know how often that is put into practice.

ps.
    2001 was not just a face lift. You are showing your ignorance here.

Do you have a source for the in gear times to make this claim or are you just making it up like everything else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement