Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat or Celica!?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Do you have a source for the in gear times to make this claim or are you just making it up like everything else?
    My What Car archive has them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Pics or it never happened! Don't come on here with no figures you'll be called names the righteous ones will attack :D

Seriously though the OP which one would he be better off going for! Not an argument on 0-60 times.

Relax Chaps.
    I still say celica for style, and why not go for a skoda octavia or superb pretty much the same engine, you'll either gain a boot or leg room. Everyone wins.

Maybe 01 passet wasn't a face lift, it was a skoda superb rebadged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Passat has a higher top speed than Celica. Theres a figure for you.
    Passat is NOT quicker from 30-50, 30-70 and 50-70 figures that would also interest a racing driver.

But of course the Celica is quicker to 60 and we all know how often that is put into practice.

ps.
    2001 was not just a face lift. You are showing your ignorance here.

I fixed your post for you, because you're inventing figures.
    Can you tell me what chassis modifications was made to the 2001 Passat over the 97 one so please and enlighten me, oh wise one! The PD engines were first fitted to the 2001 Passat, but the engine upgrade wasn't a Passat upgrade, they went across 4 companies.

Biro wrote: »
    I fixed your post for you, because you're inventing figures.
    Can you tell me what chassis modifications was made to the 2001 Passat over the 97 one so please and enlighten me, oh wise one! The PD engines were first fitted to the 2001 Passat, but the engine upgrade wasn't a Passat upgrade, they went across 4 companies.
    Ive owned 4 passats so don't try and argue them with me kiddo.

The chassis was made stiffer from 2001 onwards. It also had a suspension overhaul as well as new engines, new interior. Also aesthetically different than the previous model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

grabs the pop corn.

• Advertisement

Ive owned 4 passats so don't try and argue them with me kiddo.

The chassis was made stiffer from 2001 onwards. It also had a suspension overhaul as well as new engines, new interior. Also aesthetically different worse than the previous model.

I explained about the engines above. The chassis is the same, stiffer suggests a new way to build it. The 2008 159 has a stiffer and lighter chassis, but it's the same car. Suspension overhaul? Wasn't much of an overhaul - still gave trouble on cars over 80k miles. Don't call me kiddo you. I've had enough of your crap and insults and rubbish posts for one day.

With hashslinging but grabbing the nachos and a large fanta!

Biro wrote: »
    I explained about the engines above. The chassis is the same, stiffer suggests a new way to build it. The 2008 159 has a stiffer and lighter chassis, but it's the same car. Suspension overhaul? Wasn't much of an overhaul - still gave trouble on cars over 80k miles. Don't call me kiddo you. I've had enough of your crap and insults and rubbish posts for one day.
    Please stop being a troublemaker and don't quote me in edited form. Its against the charter.
    Thank you.

You think the older gneration of Passat is nicer? Dear oh dear.
    Its obvious that 3 years of harsh and stressful Celica driving has had an effect on your mental capacity so now I will just leave you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cpoh1 wrote: »
    You know nothing about cars based on comments like that. Have a read about how light cars that have high rev limits and short gear ratios negate the need for high torque figures.

Celica 140 doesn't have the same high rev limit as the T Sport model. it's the same as any other Toyota petrol

Re timing belt: they have a timing chain.

Has the OP considered a Golf TDI?

Please stop being a troublemaker and don't quote me in edited form. Its against the charter.
    Thank you.

You think the older gneration of Passat is nicer? Dear oh dear.
    Its obvious that 3 years of harsh and stressful Celica driving has had an effect on your mental capacity so now I will just leave you alone.

I highlighted the edit, so as not to misquote you. And that's 4 personal insults from you, unwarranted, and you blow on about the charter.
    I've heard enough from you, it's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

climate expert ...you're blipping on the troll radar again ...no more insults or you're out.

@all the others ...take a chill pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Wrong.
    Best in class when released (and throughout its life in my opnion)
    Looks great. Very nice proportions in good spec models.
    Drives fairly nicely for a FWD, some quattros as well.ESP is quite common with them.
    It is fast relative to 80% of cars on the roads.
    Mondeo is like but it is overall an inferior car. Poor cabin design, cheaper fittings.

I think you need to step away from your 4 passats , cast aside your pipe and slippers and take a drive in a proper car.
    Allthough you dont have much cars to choose from since only 20% of the cars out there would be able to keep up with a passat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

offtopic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

oh that celica is really going to set the roads alight. 7 pages of tripe. Mods pls lock asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

oh that celica is really going to set the roads alight. 7 pages of tripe. Mods pls lock asap.

It's threads like this that make this forum interesting. Otherwise it'd be thread after thread by people who can't figure out VRT, interspersed with the odd what's wrong with the turbo timing belt in my Nissan 320D coupe after I drove over a traffic island, or thinly veiled I want to buy a new boxter threads.

Barr wrote: »
    I think you need to step away from your 4 passats , cast aside your pipe and slippers and take a drive in a proper car.
    Allthough you dont have much cars to choose from since only 20% of the cars out there would be able to keep up with a passat :D
    I've gone 150mph on public roads before so I know about proper driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Everybody clap for the person with the heavy right foot, wow you know how to drive:pac::pac:

It was probably in that quad turbo Passat everyones talking about :rolleyes:

Can we hit the troll with a stick mods?!

God he will feel the pain with a comment like that around here. And i think you'll have a wee bit of trouble doing 150MPH in a passet buddy no offence but if it smells like sh*t it is shi*.

The nachos are repeating on me, im outta here. Like you should be.

The righteous ones are circling the wagons as we speak and your in the middle :D

And im sure it wasn't really a passet, but if not why bring it up? its passet or celica thread!

cabrwab wrote: »
    Can we hit the troll with a stick mods?!

God he will feel the pain with a comment like that around here. And i think you'll have a wee bit of trouble doing 150MPH in a passet buddy no offence but if it smells like sh*t it is shi*.

The nachos are repeating on me, im outta here. Like you should be.

The righteous ones are circling the wagons as we speak and your in the middle :D
    You silly goblin.
    It wasn't a Passat, and it was on the autobahn.

• Advertisement

Edit ...ahh forget it ...overtaken by events

Any more names?!!
    Don't insult me i have not insulted you.

Why didn't you say it was autobahn, i couldn't give a f*ck if it was the ring itself, your looking for an argument!

no smiley to give you the finger that is upsetting.

peasant wrote: »
    climate expert ...you're blipping on the troll radar again ...no more insults or you're out.
    You silly goblin.

ba-dumm-tish! ...climate expert takes a weeks break ...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

anyway, the point is;
    if you're getting a Celica, get the 189bhp version. then the car starts to make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    anyway, the point is;
    if you're getting a Celica, get the 189bhp version. then the car starts to make sense.
    Can't compare to a Passat 1.9 TTDIDTDTTIDDIDI - they're weapons

I think the lesson from this thread is you cant compare cars that are classes apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

After reading this entire thread I reckon the OP is sticking with public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I learned a lot from this thread!

1) Gearboxes have nothing to do with torque
    2) The Passat diesel is a supercar
    3) You can overcome Newtonian physics using "design"
    4) You can be an adult, owner of 4 Passats, and know less about motors than a 10 year old who got a Lego car for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Ahem. Let me add some mundane information. The 01 (Facelift) Passat is very spacious inside, and has a crap stereo unit. The speakers are pretty good though.
    In my opinion it looks acceptable for its class in a colour other than Silver, eg Blue or Black.

Although I may be a bit late..

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    4) You can be an adult, owner of 4 Passats, and know less about motors than a 10 year old who got a Lego car for Christmas.

I banned climate expert for trolling and now you continue with the same crap.

Infraction for you

This thread is now closed, I've had enough

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement