Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

A(nother) Recommendation, If you would

• 29-07-2008 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

So i'm kind of hungering for something different this weather. I've been putting on snippets of albums and then turning them off again with the last two weeks.

I'm thinking something along the prog lines ? Similar to Riverside perhaps ?
    (I know & enjoy the standard listening Porcupine Tree & Anathema)

Or any album at all. I'm not hugely into death/grindcore/doom/gothic if thats any help ?

Sorry for the vagueness !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Maybe something instrumental & epic like Rest who are playing Dublin in the next few weeks or Cult of Luna???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Quite vague about what you are looking for but I will reccommend these albums even tho you may have heard them!

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
    Frances The Mute - The Mars Volta
    Paradise Lost - In Requiem
    Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
    Electric Eel Shock - Beat Me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm, have you listened to Devin Townsend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Cult Of Luna
    Rest

These two are new to me, ill look into them thanks

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness

Have, enjoy all their stuff

Frances The Mute - The Mars Volta
    Therion - Gothic Kabbalah

Never really got into either of these two bands for some reason ?

Paradise Lost - In Requiem
    Have and enjoy

Electric Eel Shock - Beat Me
    New one on me again. Will look into this

Devin Townsend
    Have most of his stuff, Strapping young lad, Solo, Ocean Machine etc. the man is an absolute nutter to boot :D

Thanks for the replies guys. If you can think of anything else keep them coming please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

More on the prog side of things...

Pain of Salvation (Get the album Entropia, it's incredible)
    Arcturus (Wildly different and out there, I'd recommend La Masquerade Infernale)
    Green Carnation (Get 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness. One of the greatest progressive albums there is in my honest opinion, it's one song over one hour long, and it's just breathtaking.)

• Advertisement

More on the prog side of things...

Pain of Salvation (Get the album Entropia, it's incredible)
    Arcturus (Wildly different and out there, I'd recommend La Masquerade Infernale)
    Green Carnation (Get 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness. One of the greatest progressive albums there is in my honest opinion, it's one song over one hour long, and it's just breathtaking.)

Good stuff thank you. Big fan of prog too.

I have all of green carnations stuff but i've never actually listened to it properly.

Pain of salvation is another name i've heard but never looked up.

Arcturus is completely new to me.

Got an 8 hour flight coming up tomorrow night so need to fill up that ipod :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

You could try lite (http://www.myspace.com/liteband).
    A japanese instrumental rock band. Saw them when they toured ireland.
    Would recommend filmets CD.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Spent the morning on youtube.

Impressed by EES (dissapointed I missed them playing Ireland this month), Cult of Luna & Pain of Salvation

Arcturus - Listened to Ad Astra, bloody hell thats good. Also listened to Chaos Path. Not too sure about the vocals on that one though.

Lite - Once again, very impressed.

Rest - Fooking hell, I like that ! (They're from cork ? Cool)

Is there some link between the two Japanese Bands (EES and Lite) and Ireland, one video here and the other with a "Live in Limerick" album :D

As an Aside - Anyone ever buy from transductionrecords.com before ? They seem to stock both Lite & Rest's albums

Wheres the handiest place to buy the EES albums does anyone know ?

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

c - 13 wrote: »
    As an Aside - Anyone ever buy from transductionrecords.com before ? They seem to stock both Lite & Rest's albums

Wheres the handiest place to buy the EES albums does anyone know ?

You could try http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/artist.php?artist=Electric+Eel+Shock for the EES albums as it is their label in the UK.

Bought Lite - live in Limerick from transductionrecords.com, didn't have any problems.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Firewind FTW!!

They're from Greece, and are playing in Whelans in September, you should give 'em a look on Youtube :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Remedy Lane

I second Pain of Salvation :P

I think the band you are looking for is The Gathering, check out any of there albums. I actually can't pick their best one ... probably one of the last 5 :D

Advertisement