Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is "Vibe"

Options
  • 29-07-2008 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

There is some pretty awesome graffiti on "Moss St" in town, by some guy called Vibe.

There is one of Mickey Mouse in a GI uniform
    A portrait of Gary Coleman
    An awesome looking rib cage
    A weird kind of pumpkin headed yolk on a horse

Anyone know who this person is? Or if they have more graffiti around the city?

(Sorry, I have no pics. I can bring my camera in tomorrow and take some though)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

er, before I start getting a knock on my door from the rozzers I'd just like to state for the record that it's not me okay. ;)

(seriously, I'm crap at art)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Just some vandal. He'll grow out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Not looking for a debate on Graffiti: Art or Vandalism, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Noopti wrote: »
    Not looking for a debate on Graffiti: Art or Vandalism, thanks.

Well then sling your hook.
    No,we dont know who you are or care.

You don't care who I am? Fair enough, I wasn't asking if you did.

If you mean you don't care who the graffiti artist is, then you need to "sling your hook" as I wasn't asking if you care who he/she was. Just wondering if anybody out there has seen similar graffiti around or knows who the person is.

Ah, the joys of asking a simple question on boards.ie.......you might get maybe a couple of genuine responses, and others just looking to turn the thread on it's head for whatever reason. Good man Degsy.

• Advertisement

You don't care who I am? Fair enough, I wasn't asking if you did.

If you mean you don't care who the graffiti artist is, then you need to "sling your hook" as I wasn't asking if you care who he/she was. Just wondering if anybody out there has seen similar graffiti around or knows who the person is.

Ah, the joys of asking a simple question on boards.ie.......you might get maybe a couple of genuine responses, and others just looking to turn the thread on it's head for whatever reason. Good man Degsy.

What exactly were you expecting?Somebody to say "Ah yes,that'd be Amanda Huggenkiss from Nurney Gurney Park"??
    Who gives a damn about people who spray paint on other people's property?All they're doing is making work for the city council,lowering property prices and behaving like cowardly <SNIP>.If you DO find out who this clown is,let me know and i'll paint his poxy house for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Isn't Moss St. derelict anyway? Degsy, please don't use the word 'we' when what you mean is 'I.'

latenia wrote: »
    Isn't Moss St. derelict anyway? Degsy, please don't use the word 'we' when what you mean is 'I.'

The whole street is derelict is it?So what better to improve its apearance than a knobhead apraying "give me some attention please" on the walls.

I'll think based on the hundreds of other posts on this subject you'll find i'm notr alone in my hatred for these clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

latenia wrote: »

When I'm in agreement with him its 'we'.

hat exactly were you expecting?Somebody to say "Ah yes,that'd be Amanda Huggenkiss from Nurney Gurney Park"??
    Who gives a damn about people who spray paint on other people's property?All they're doing is making work for the city council,lowering property prices and behaving like cowardly ****.If you DO find out who this clown is,let me know and i'll paint his poxy house for him.

Good man. No I wasn't expecting a name and address. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the person, or if they are a known or well known graffiti artist.

So, totter along there now and maybe do a search for topics debating graffiti as an art form or vandalism. Your grievances have no place here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

So, totter along there now
    No back seat modding please Noopti.

Noopti wrote:
    debating graffiti as an art form or vandalism
    Regardless of one's view as to whether it's art or vandalism, it's illegal. In my opinion it should be treated the same way as defaecating on the street.

If you wish to debate it as an art form, please take it to the Art Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Wasa this directed at the OP or the other posters, Im unsure, anyway the whole point of the thread was not to debate it as an artform, no?

I think the OP was looking to veiw other peices done by the aforementioned graffitist named Vibe that were not on Moss St but phrased it badly...

Pen1987 wrote: »
    Wasa this directed at the OP or the other posters, Im unsure, anyway the whole point of the thread was not to debate it as an artform, no?
    At the OP but I take the point.
    Pen1987 wrote:
    I think the OP was looking to veiw other peices done by the aforementioned graffitist named Vibe that were not on Moss St but phrased it badly...
    Indeed he/she could have worded it in a more neutral way. Referring to vandalism which has blighted our city as "awesome" is bound to ruffle some feathers.

In my experience these threads are usually started by the "artist" to get some positive feedback on thier "work".Hey,does anybody know such-and such..he's awesome.Usually it attracts a hostile reception from most people but there's usually a few trying to make the normal people sound like uncool,antiquated jeremiahs.Shilling,but for vandals.

I don't. I stated I didn't want a debate on it quite plainly, unfortunately quite a few people, including yourself didn't seem to realise this.
    Indeed he/she could have worded it in a more neutral way. Referring to vandalism which has blighted our city as "awesome" is bound to ruffle some feathers.

Sorry, I didn't think referring to something someone drew as awesome would ruffle so many feathers. I wasn't referring to the fact that graffiti was awesome, I don't condone graffiti in anyway. I was referring to the actual drawing, it could have been drawn on a pigs arse and I would still think it is awesome. I would prefer it if the person had drawn it on a canvas, but hey, I'm not the police so I won't try and police the fact that they didn't. I was simply admiring the craftsmanship.
    No back seat modding please Noopti.

Would you also like to warn Degsy, Wishbone. He did tell me to "Well then sling your hook", which means basically "Get Lost". Or is the fact that you share similar views on graffiti render him immune to such warnings. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I came here to ask a simple question, and I can guess it won't be answered. So feel free to lock, delete or otherwise cast this thread into a ravine somewhere. I will just have to try and find the answers I was looking for somewhere else......maybe Zombie Survival would give me more pertinent responses then I got here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

it should be treated the same way as defaecating on the street.
    just remembering someone told me, if you are about to peee yourself, and are not in a position to get to a bathroom, you can actually just go wherever and nothing can be done to you.

I just remember that coz i was so random to put into conversation..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

just remembering someone told me, if you are about to peee yourself, and are not in a position to get to a bathroom, you can actually just go wherever and nothing can be done to you.

Not sure about being allowed to pee. You might get away with it but on the other hand you can definitely be prosecuted for it.

You could have a crap though because it was thought that holding it in was bad for you. That too could be changed now though.

Que?

Would you also like to warn Degsy, Wishbone. He did tell me to "Well then sling your hook", which means basically "Get Lost"
    Point taken - (I wasn't sure what the phrase meant!).

Degsy wrote: »
    Well then sling your hook.
    Degsy - no back seat modding please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if the artist (and no, it's still not me) had created his masterpiece on the wall of his own property or on canvas or something else he legally possessed (or had permission to use) then yes it would be art.

But he didn't and despite what he and you may think he has defaced someone elses property and that IS vandalism and he should be found and prosecuted.

If I thought your car would look better if I spray painted murals on it how would you feel?

If I thought your car would look better if I spray painted murals on it how would you feel?

Of course I would be pi$$ed! Who wouldn't! But I am not trying to debate the fact (it is a fact) that it is vandalism........

Is there an exasperated version of a smiley around that I could use the next time someone starts preaching to me that it is vandalism? I know it is! I agree it is! But I didn't start the thread to debate it....

It is not the act I am saying is awesome. It is the finished article, from a visually aesthetic standpoint I am saying is awesome. Like I said before, it could be painted on anything.....I am not judging the legalities of the act, just the finished picture. Me saying I like the finished article is in no way saying I agree with the act of vandalism that was necessary to produce it.

Thanks Wishbone.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

cant' resist

graf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

There is some pretty awesome graffiti on "Moss St" in town, by some guy called Vibe.

There is one of Mickey Mouse in a GI uniform
    A portrait of Gary Coleman
    An awesome looking rib cage
    A weird kind of pumpkin headed yolk on a horse

Anyone know who this person is? Or if they have more graffiti around the city?

(Sorry, I have no pics. I can bring my camera in tomorrow and take some though)

It sounds like it's Banksy. There's a thread about him on AH afaik.

g'em wrote: »
    It sounds like it's Banksy. There's a thread about him on AH afaik.

Banksy is english.These other halfwits would like to be like him but they aint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Ah ok. I remembered reading something in the paper about graffiti artists exhibiting in town (linkage) so thought this might be something to do with it. Perhaps not, I know little about street art and whatnot :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Did you see tha graffiti the OP is reffering to? If not (probably the answer you will respond with) then how do you know? Also, how do people in this thread know that the graffiti the OP is talking about wasn't done with permission?

The OP is asking a question about a specific piece of art on a wall that is in a public place and all posters have done is responded with tunnel vision when they saw the word Graffiti with all sorts of off topic arguments for and against Graffiti.

It's not too hard to respond to the OP. It's a simple yes or no infact.

On topic, There's a derelict building with no roof on it to the south of the Bleeding Horse on lower Camden St. There's a load of really amazing Graffiti on the second floor of that building, but I think you can only really see it if you're passing by on the top deck of a bus. I think one of the tags might be vibe, but I'm not sure.

This is kind of a funny quote from the news article:
    "We are not out to offend people and if people are unhappy that we have painted on their property, we will paint over it for free."

lol.......for free? Really? That's grand, I was worried you might charge me....

Edit: In reference to the above, I have no idea really if it was done with permission. Although it is quite possible as I'm pretty sure the building is derelict. Anyway, I will take my camera with me tomorrow so people can actually see what I am referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Noopti

You've been bullied by the 1,000+ posters on Boards.ie - welcome to the club!

Back on topic, could you put a few pics up - I'd love to see them, thanks!

• Advertisement

Ass Face wrote: »
    Did you see tha graffiti the OP is reffering to? If not (probably the answer you will respond with) then how do you know? Also, how do people in this thread know that the graffiti the OP is talking about wasn't done with permission?

The OP is asking a question about a specific piece of art on a wall that is in a public place and all posters have done is responded with tunnel vision when they saw the word Graffiti with all sorts of off topic arguments for and against Graffiti.

It's not too hard to respond to the OP. It's a simple yes or no infact.

On topic, There's a derelict building with no roof on it to the south of the Bleeding Horse on lower Camden St. There's a load of really amazing Graffiti on the second floor of that building, but I think you can only really see it if you're passing by on the top deck of a bus. I think one of the tags might be vibe, but I'm not sure.

Thats like asking "does anybody know the name of the bloke who smashes windows in empty apartment blocks and empty houses?He's a legend and its great fun.After all the buildings are empty so no harm done."
    Well let me tell you something,all property belongs to somebody and is going to cost somebody money to remove the damage.
    AS i've said before,if these "artists" are so sure of the merits of thier "work" why dont they paint thier OWN property for everybody to see?
    Those that actually own property ..ie absolutely none of them.

Advertisement