Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is "Vibe"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Noopti wrote: »
    Not looking for a debate on Graffiti: Art or Vandalism, thanks.

Deggsy - can you read these words?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Degsy wrote: »
    Thats like asking "does anybody know the name of the bloke who smashes windows in empty apartment blocks and empty houses?He's a legend and its great fun.After all the buildings are empty so no harm done."
    Well let me tell you something,all property belongs to somebody and is going to cost somebody money to remove the damage.
    AS i've said before,if these "artists" are so sure of the merits of thier "work" why dont they paint thier OWN property for everybody to see?
    Those that actually own property ..ie absolutely none of them.
    I think the point has been made Degsy - no need to labour it!

What's the difference between a mural and graffiti? Presumably a mural is done by, or with the permission of, the owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Thats like asking "does anybody know the name of the bloke who smashes windows in empty apartment blocks and empty houses?He's a legend and its great fun.After all the buildings are empty so no harm done."
    Well let me tell you something,all property belongs to somebody and is going to cost somebody money to remove the damage.
    AS i've said before,if these "artists" are so sure of the merits of thier "work" why dont they paint thier OWN property for everybody to see?
    Those that actually own property ..ie absolutely none of them.
    It's as if you've just ignored everything I've just said and carried on with your off topic non-sense.

I'd respond to your post pointing out how comparing an art form to burgalry is an utterly retarded point to make, but as the OP pointed out, it is not his wish for this thread to be turned in to a debate about Graffiti, so I'll respect that. My point was that you should do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Anyway guys....here are some pics:

2719366098_93b756651f.jpg

2718544035_6e88176c1d_b.jpg

2719365962_b642cf8b48_b.jpg

It seems I actually got the names of the people who did these completely wrong!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A load of crap thats what they are.Art-college kids gluing cut-outs onto walls.Utter,utter rubbish.

• Advertisement

You sure are a happy camper aren't you Degsy? :pac:
    You've gone from a die hard anti-graffiti person to a connoisseur?

There are some cut-outs on the same wall (The Mickey Mouse one I referred to originally is a cut out, as I found out today), but I'm pretty sure the ones I photographed aren't. The last one of the horse is definitely not.....

You sure are a happy camper aren't you Degsy? :pac:
    You've gone from a die hard anti-graffiti person to a connoisseur?

There are some cut-outs on the same wall (The Mickey Mouse one I referred to originally is a cut out, as I found out today), but I'm pretty sure the ones I photographed aren't. The last one of the horse is definitely not.....

And you've gone from somebody talking-up some "awesome" street "art" to somebody who's been duped by a load of colour photocopies glued to a wall.Nice one Mr Trendy,you sure came out of that one lookin' good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

And you've gone from somebody talking-up some "awesome" street "art" to somebody who's been duped by a load of colour photocopies glued to a wall.Nice one Mr Trendy,you sure came out of that one lookin' good!!

Your grumpyoldmanitis is getting worse by the day Degs ;)

Personally I don't see it as art, but nether do I see it as vandalism. If you put the ... 'works' in a gallery they simply wouldn't belong, but on a street corner they look fairly innapropriate and often like they try too hard.

Either way though, I don't think they should be removed. I like spotting things like this and wondering what's behind it.

g'em wrote: »
    wondering what's behind it.

Dickheads with no girlfriends or jobs usually..:pac:

Oh please, just do yourself and everyone else a favor and stop it. You either haven't completed your 4th class reading exam yet, or are purposely ignoring everything I have said in this whole thread. Either way, you are making yourself look stupid and immature. Let me spell it out for you, nice and simply, so you can comprehend, okay?

1. I never talked up any street art. I simply asked if anyone knew who did the work. And expressed an opinion on it. That is not "talking it up".

2. Even if they aren't proper graffiti (which has yet to be proved), how have I been duped? I never said I was an aficionado, or an expert on "street art". Oh, but by your reckoning I could ask you a question on the thermodynamics of burning oil and if you get it wrong....I've duped you. Grow up.

3. What gave you the impression I came here to "look good". My God, you are really showing either your age or maturity. Maybe you took part in this discussion to look good, but I didn't. So don't apply your mentality to me please.

PS: Is "art" that is on the "street", not "street art"?

Dickheads with no girlfriends or jobs usually
    Sound familiar Degsy?

• Advertisement

Oh please, just do yourself and everyone else a favor and stop it. You either haven't completed your 4th class reading exam yet, or are purposely ignoring everything I have said in this whole thread. Either way, you are making yourself look stupid and immature. Let me spell it out for you, nice and simply, so you can comprehend, okay?

1. I never talked up any street art. I simply asked if anyone knew who did the work. And expressed an opinion on it. That is not "talking it up".

2. Even if they aren't proper graffiti (which has yet to be proved), how have I been duped? I never said I was an aficionado, or an expert on "street art". Oh, but by your reckoning I could ask you a question on the thermodynamics of burning oil and if you get it wrong....I've duped you. Grow up.
    3. What gave you the impression I came here to "look good". My God, you are really showing either your age or maturity. Maybe you took part in this discussion to look good, but I didn't. So don't apply your mentality to me please.

PS: Is "art" that is on the "street", not "street art"?

Sound familiar Degsy?

Lol.You thought it was graffiti and it wasnt,just a load of glued on cut-outs.
    You've failed pal.
    Oh yeah AND you never found out who the "Artist" was because nobody wanted to engage you at that level!!

Lol.You thought it was graffiti and it wasnt,just a load of glued on cut-outs.
    You've failed pal.
    Oh yeah AND you never found out who the "Artist" was because nobody wanted to engage you at that level!!

Your right!! .....good man Degsy, you got me.

I cannot believe I thought it was graffiti! Man, what a fool I have been. I failed in my quest to portray myself as an expert in this field. You win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Jesus Degsy youre really coming across a childish yet cantankorus fool in this thread. Just let it go and try to stay on topic.

I've never been a serious fan of 'street-art' or grafitti but its kind of nice to see unusual things poking out from nowhere as you walk around the city, better than looking at the blank wall of crumbling old brick IMPO. Saying that, I can relate to the annoyance of the owners of the property if they want to take it down.

This stuff wouldnt be the most interesting stuff I've seen really, at least its bright though which I like. Theres a good one of OB1Kanobi just off Harrington stuff, although its a total copy of the Banksy stuff thats being done in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Pen1987 wrote: »
    although its a total copy of the Banksy stuff thats being done in London.

You just got there before me! It's not bad, I'd say there is a million Banksy copiers out there.

Graffiti can really bring out the red mist in people. Degsy might have had a bad incident with vandals. I know some people that have been plagued with it. Bad graffiti and tagging on private property can be the most annoying thing and it looks terrible.

You just got there before me! It's not bad, I'd say there is a million Banksy copiers out there.

I have never really seen any of Banksy's work, but had a look online today. Some amazing images. I suppose they say imitation is the highest form of flattery!

lightening wrote: »

Graffiti can really bring out the red mist in people. Degsy might have had a bad incident with vandals. I know some people that have been plagued with it.

Not as such,just that where i live there are LOTS of walls scawled over with this stuff and every so often the city council come and paint over it,only for it to happen again and again.
    The assholes doing the graffiti have no concept of the fact that people may NOT want to see thier scrawlings everytime they go for a walk.
    They also seem not to realise that this garbage costs time and money to remove.
    Whether anybody thinks its "art" or not is a moot point.The fact is that its done without the owner's consent,by people who dont own property themselves,and for what?So some halfwit can have people talk about him on the internet?
    The only effect this crap is having around my area is to devalue property,nobody wants to live in what looks like a ghetto.The SCUM that are doing it dont give a **** about anybody else's thoughts or feelings,they just vandalise as they please.
    I've said this before..but WHY dont they paint thier OWN property..or thier parents house?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

I can't tell if Degsy is just trolling or not. I don't think anyone could actually be that ignorant.

Ass Face wrote: »
    I can't tell if Degsy is just trolling or not. I don't think anyone could actually be that ignorant.

...just trying to be "Mr Trendy" maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Why would he be trolling?.

He's stating fact.

Listen, I'm a property owner and my family run a business in Dublin City Centre and neither me 'nor my family want our property spray painted on as its costs us considerable time and money in the past.

Good posts D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I think those particular paintings/cutouts/whatever are an improvement. As I said before, Moss St is almost completely derelict; I don't think the people who've bought up sites there just to sit and speculate while they crumble really give a f**k what happens to them.

• Advertisement

Like Mairt,i own a house.If i one day wanted to sell the house i would obvioulsy want to get as much as i could for the place.If Potential buyers see walls daubed with paint and graffiti everywhere that will militate against them buying my house.That means i'd have to drop the price and means that these assholes are costing ME money.Do you not see???
    As i've said,people who do this have no concept of ownership because they're either too young or two poor to own anything themselves.

Fair enough, but the example I am referring to is on a derelict shell of a building. So if anything affects the property prices nearby, it is probably the fact that it is derelict rather than the fact there is graffiti on it.

I understand where you are coming from. If there was graffiti on or near my house I would be livid. But I do think the example I am referring to is a separate case, and should be judged as such.

I could be wrong, but I doubt the people who did the work on the derelict building are the same people who are spraying their nicknames on walls in housing estates etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I could be wrong, but I doubt the people who did the work on the derelict building are the same people who are spraying their nicknames on walls in housing estates etc...

They had to start somewhere.

Of course they did, but you, nor I, know where they started so there is no point speculating.

They could have started in art college on a large canvas for all we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND now this is just another 'Grafitti is ****/Grafitti is Art' thread like we've had a million times before.

Great. It looked like it might of actually developed into a 'IF you like grafitti or 'street-art' then do you know anything about this in Moss st.?'... which I dont believe weve had prior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

but WHY dont they paint thier OWN property..or thier parents house?????

Right, eh... I was just trying to diffuse the situation, please don't jump down my neck! I pointed out that you have obviously been affected.

I think random tagging and vandalism on private property is different to some stylish (albeit Banksy copy) work on a derelict, soon to be knocked down or rebuilt building.

lightening wrote: »
    I think random tagging and vandalism on private property is different to some stylish (albeit Banksy copy) work on a derelict, soon to be knocked down or rebuilt building.

Well you're wrong.Just because somebody judges it to be "derelict" doesnt give them the right to vandalise it.Its exactly the same as breaking into an empty house and shiiting all over the floor.

JoeSchmoe wrote: »

What an absolute bunch of fools..admitting they did such and such and then linking to blogspots and bebo pages.

• Advertisement

Well you're wrong

I'm not actually. I am right. You have been affected by vandalism and graffiti! And, in all seriousness, you can't compare shiiting in someone's empty house with graffitiing a derelict building.

If this affects you in such a serious way, you should get away from the keyboard and maybe do some voluntary work in the area, it will make more of a difference than just insulting people. Its very rewarding. I did inner city youth work for three years. Its very hard, but gratifying.

Advertisement