Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn will not insure me

Options
  • 29-07-2008 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

So i put a 2008 VW Golf 1.4 GT Sport 140bhp on hold on sat and monday morning i decide to ring my insurance to find out how much it will go up when i swap over to the new car only for the guy to tell me "sorry we are not in a position to insure you on that vehicle" i thought he was jokin and he was winding me up. Im 26 full licence and in sept i will have a full 3yrs no claim bonus they tell me i have to be 30 before they would consider me for this car.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be honest (IMO) you are better off away from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Crazy isnt it?

Such a Joke.
    try this
    http://www.bestquote.ie/

they are pretty good. Hope you get insurance mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Made In Ireland

When you've got a full licence and you're older than 25 you should have move to a "real" insurer..

Quinn is somewhere kids go when they need to insure a punto at 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ibook

Quinn is pretty expensive, I was quoted 2010 Euros for a 1.6 engine, I finally went with 123.ie for nearly half the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Quinn are a joke. They were the only company who'd insure me for under a grand when I bought my first car last August. I've now got a 1 year NCB and a full licence and my renewal quote is 670. I was disgusted by it, especially since I put my details into their system online and it came up at 560. I rang them and they said they dont match quotes. I've shopped around and got insured for 390.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally they'll match the online quote if you speak to a supervisor - the front line agents probably can't but either way point blank refuse to. I'm in the probably unique situation of getting a lower renewal quote than the online with the same details, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

Stay away from them. Im 23 and have a GTI and have insurance through hibernian for only 1050. thats a bargain i think as no one else would insure me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

you are far better off with an independent broker

check http://www.sertus.ie/ to see if there is any body from your area in the agency

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've been told I wouldn't get a renewal on a couple of cars I was looking at, and I'm with Allianz, not Quinn. They weren't exactly sports cars either. It was a group scheme though, which could make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

I was shopping around y'day and the cheapest i got was 990euro thats wit 2yrs no claims bonus as said in OP i will not have 3yrs ncb until the end of september and if i cancel my policy with quinn now i will be starting my 3rd year all over again so im going to stick it out until sept then move to hibernian so when january comes around il buy a new VW gt sport 140bhp and they will cover me on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

isnt there a 18 year old lad on here who has a GT 170bhp ? bud you should be able to get insurance no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

awhir wrote: »
    isnt there a 18 year old lad on here who has a GT 170bhp ? bud you should be able to get insurance no bother.

Yeah - I think that is "Nismo"?

I've the 170ps GT Sport and I'm with Quinn - will change from them next year though.

I think because I was already with them they insured me again I got the impression if I was a "fresh" quote they wouldn't quote me uintil I was 30!

Notahappycamper - I am already insured with them and just said no they will no give me cover on this car.

Awhir - as i said in my other post i can get insured with hibernian but if i cancel my policy with quinn i will loose the last 10 months of my no claims bonus and will be startin my 3rd year all over again.

Also it would be interesting to find out who the 18 year old lad is insured with maybe he told them its just a normal VW Golf this is what happend me told them all the details they gave me a price and then i said its a gt model and straight away the said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Axa are doing super deals at the moment, i know you will lose your 10 months but give them a call anyway cant hurt to quote. i got a great deal 2 weeks ago, left quinn because they gave me a shocking renewal quote on a new vehicle.

listermint wrote: »
    Axa are doing super deals at the moment, i know you will lose your 10 months but give them a call anyway cant hurt to quote. i got a great deal 2 weeks ago, left quinn because they gave me a shocking renewal quote on a new vehicle.

Axa came in at 1275, hibernian still cheaper

Do you have any named driving experience on someone else's policy in additon to your no claims bonus?
    Some insurers will discount based on this.
    I know Hibernian and Quinn take this into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I could be wrong but seeing as you are already insured with quinn I dont think they can decline cover. They can quote you what they like but I think they are obliged to cover you. Now my knowledge of the motor insurance domain is getting on in years and rusty but I do seem to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kayos wrote: »
    I could be wrong but seeing as you are already insured with quinn I dont think they can decline cover. They can quote you what they like but I think they are obliged to cover you. Now my knowledge of the motor insurance domain is getting on in years and rusty but I do seem to remember that.

As I said earlier, I have been told that my policy would not be renewed with certain cars. If a company simply does not cover certain types of cars, then this would be a glaring loophole if they did have to renew.

However, each time they did give me a price for the duration of my policy which could be the extent of the obligation.

ronoc - no i have never been on anybody else's insurance as i was told it was always better to get your own.

kayos - if you dont believe me why not ring up and make up a story saying you have a 26yr old son and want to get insurance for him on the same spec car as i have and let me know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Dubdude wrote: »
    So i put a 2008 VW Golf 1.4 GT Sport 140bhp on hold on sat and monday morning i decide to ring my insurance to find out how much it will go up when i swap over to the new car only for the guy to tell me "sorry we are not in a position to insure you on that vehicle" i thought he was jokin and he was winding me up. Im 26 full licence and in sept i will have a full 3yrs no claim bonus they tell me i have to be 30 before they would consider me for this car.

Hi Dubdude I have the same car and Quinn and Allianze (sp) both were not interested in quoting me. I was with allianze at the time but they wanted 90 a month from me for it. That would have cost me 540. Went to insure.ie and got a full year for 525. I'm 28 with three years NCD and full license.

Also the AA are worth a try due to the VW breakdown service being provided by them they will give you the membership discount as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

eoin_s wrote: »
    If a company simply does not cover certain types of cars, then this would be a glaring loophole if they did have to renew.

However, each time they did give me a price for the duration of my policy which could be the extent of the obligation.

That's weird - Quinn don't cover convertibles either but because I changed to one mid-policy, they covered me no problem and also issued me with a renewal once my policy was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

To the OP: I'm 22, and I was going from a 190bhp Celica to a 287bhp 350z and Quinn basically told me to go fuk myself.. :D However, there is a way around this.

Rang around and got another quote and was phoning Quinn to tell them that I was canceling my insurance with them and the Quinn guy asked me if I'd bought the car, to which I repled no, not yet.
    He then asked me (seemed like he gave me 2 opportunities for this as he was real sound) if I'd placed any money on the car at all, ie. a deposit.
    I told him yes, just for the craic and he said "Oh in that case, I'll have to get a quote for you seeing as you're financially tied with this car now".

So, was on hold a couple times as he consulted his superiors and eventually I was quoted for about €300 more per year on top of my existing policy and I didn't have to go through the hassle of switching companies etc.

So if you maybe tell them you've bought the car (white lie) and you want a quote on it, or if you ask them if they could send you out your proof of your NCD (usually an alarm goes off that customer on phone is planning to leave which triggers groveling by insurer) and see what their response is.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Quinn will give you are renewal on any car, however you wont get a new policy on any car. I'm with quinn and I drive a 230bhp volvo t5. And that cost me €490. And my home insurance is free with quinn as my company healthcare is with them too. Its only crap if its not to "your" advantage.

Vertakill wrote: »
    To the OP: I'm 22, and I was going from a 190bhp Celica to a 287bhp 350z and Quinn basically told me to go fuk myself.. :D However, there is a way around this.

Rang around and got another quote and was phoning Quinn to tell them that I was canceling my insurance with them and the Quinn guy asked me if I'd bought the car, to which I repled no, not yet.
    He then asked me (seemed like he gave me 2 opportunities for this as he was real sound) if I'd placed any money on the car at all, ie. a deposit.
    I told him yes, just for the craic and he said "Oh in that case, I'll have to get a quote for you seeing as you're financially tied with this car now".

So, was on hold a couple times as he consulted his superiors and eventually I was quoted for about €300 more per year on top of my existing policy and I didn't have to go through the hassle of switching companies etc.

So if you maybe tell them you've bought the car (white lie) and you want a quote on it, or if you ask them if they could send you out your proof of your NCD (usually an alarm goes off that customer on phone is planning to leave which triggers groveling by insurer) and see what their response is.

When i got off the phone wit the original guy who shot me down i rang head office straight away and the girl i was dealing with said there has been a note left on my file that i applied for cover on the car and that theres no way they could give me cover. Ah well there loss as come sept. i shall be gone from them and moving somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

alexmcred wrote: »
    Also the AA are worth a try due to the VW breakdown service being provided by them they will give you the membership discount as well.

You won't get the membership discount as you're not an AA member. True they operate the VW assist breakdown service but this does not give you AA membership !

Also, from previous experience the AA are very cautious and generally won't touch males under 25 as they can't get quotes for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kayos wrote: »

There is no law saying they have to give you a quote, most companies do it to keep customers but quinn has grown so big they dont have to increase there risks now, however legally if they are within there right to refuse you cover even if you have a policy with them or even if you say you've bought the car.
    Dubdude wrote: »
    When i got off the phone wit the original guy who shot me down i rang head office straight away and the girl i was dealing with said there has been a note left on my file that i applied for cover on the car and that theres no way they could give me cover. Ah well there loss as come sept. i shall be gone from them and moving somewhere else

Quinn have a two tier quoting system now, if you only talk to the first person you get on the phone they'll only quote you under a certain bhp according to your age and ncb but if your an existing customer and you ask to speak to a supervisor or manager they will unlock the system and allow quotes on more cars

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Was with quinn, they wouldn't insure me on a Bmw 320i Coupe. Went to Onedirect.ie and got it for e800

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Im insured with quinn, a few months back I rang them to get a quote to change my cover over to another car. I was asked if I had paid for the car, to which I replied no as I was just ringing to see how much it would cost if I did. I kinda figured if I had said yes that they would have given me a different answer.

Anyway I was told that they do not those cars or something like you have to be at least 30 years of age.

Later that evening I checked online and it gave me a reasonable quote to change over, I thought it was weird so I checked it the next day and it was the same. I then checked out of curiosity how much it would be to switch to an M3, the quote was €900 to change over for about 6 months. Bottom line they were quoting me on anything thing I put in, grated it was only for TPF&T cover but I was surprised that I was getting these quotes and tbh I cant see how they could refuse to honour these quotes. Im 19 btw, have held my full licence for 10 months and this is my first year on my own policy.

@ OP: If you ring them again and they refuse ask for it in writing as to why they will not cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

My understanding of the motor insurance domain as I said was rusty and getting on in years. I was just recalling the underwriting involved when I used to program systems for the private motor insurance sector.

Not covering a car at all due to class is one thing and most companies have canaries when you mention sports or convertable. But refusing to renew insurance cover is a totally different thing. If companies could do this then they could refuse to renew any one thats had an accident to remove the risk.

New business they could always refuse on all the different grounds. But renewal, was (see past tense it might no longer be the case) a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Just bear in mind that Quinn charge you €50 to cancell the policy and will not refund anything under €50. This means if the remaining of you policy is worth €99.99, you will lose €50 for cancelling and the other €49.99 becasue they will not refund it. This happened to me a few years ago. If you can hold off until the end of you policy and then change the car and tell Quinn where to go.

Advertisement